Better investment - certification or CAT tool?
Thread poster: Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2011

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.. If you were to reinvest some of your earnings in either (a) a Cat tool or (B) ATA certification, which would you choose to put your money toward? Pretend you had to choose one or the other. I realize there's a price difference but just go with the scenario for the sake of discussion.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-06-07 15:45 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
German to English
+ ...
CAT tool Jun 7, 2011

I've been asked by clients about using CAT tools, but have never been asked for ATA certification. That said, I have a degree in translation, so that may be the reason. If I didn't, I might go for certification first.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:24
French to English
ATA or similar Jun 7, 2011

I have plenty of CAT tools and all the "translator" software I need at the moment, including software I purchased but didn't yet put to use I may need a new computer soon though, this one is already 3 years old!

I am not yet certified. I was interested in the ATA certification and went so far as to do the test translations, but I would have to travel quite a distance to sit for the exam, it will be a big expense. I di
... See more
I have plenty of CAT tools and all the "translator" software I need at the moment, including software I purchased but didn't yet put to use I may need a new computer soon though, this one is already 3 years old!

I am not yet certified. I was interested in the ATA certification and went so far as to do the test translations, but I would have to travel quite a distance to sit for the exam, it will be a big expense. I did attempt to combine the ATA exam with some personal travel, but it didn't work out. I will probably make the trip someday just to sit the exam.
Collapse

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so in other words, CAT tools Jun 7, 2011

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I am not yet certified. I was interested in the ATA certification and went so far as to do the test translations, but I would have to travel quite a distance to sit for the exam, it will be a big expense. I did attempt to combine the ATA exam with some personal travel, but it didn't work out. I will probably make the trip someday just to sit the exam.

Right, so in other words you first chose to invest in CAT tools, THEN in certification. That seems to be a wiser choice, at least initially.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ATA certification, definitely! Jun 7, 2011

You can learn, use, and purchase CAT tools whenever you like, and there are all sorts of tools, even free ones.

I think the ATA certification would put you in a higher level in the profession, since it is a proof of your skill in translation, not your ability to use computers and software. If you are a translator, showing your skill will always put you ahead in a bid.

(Edited for a typo.)

[Edited at 2011-06-07 17:31 GMT]

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Point well taken Jun 7, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

You can learn, use, and purchase CAT tools whenever you like, and there are all sorts of tools, even free ones.

I think the ATA certification would put you in a higher level in the profession, since it is a proof of you skill in translation, not your ability to use computers and software. If you are a translator, showing your skill will always put you ahead in a bid.

You make some good points. I appreciate your insight.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May I add that.... Jun 7, 2011

Since it does not look like you have a degree in translation, it makes perfect sense that you can prove your skills with the ATA-certification.

When I did the exam in 2008, I had been translating full time for over a decade, but could not prove my skills to new customers coming along, unless I did a translation test (I have done many, believe me).

Now, have you checked th
... See more
Since it does not look like you have a degree in translation, it makes perfect sense that you can prove your skills with the ATA-certification.

When I did the exam in 2008, I had been translating full time for over a decade, but could not prove my skills to new customers coming along, unless I did a translation test (I have done many, believe me).

Now, have you checked the eligibility requirements for the ATA exam? If you have a Bachelor's degree (other than in translation), you need to prove 2 years of experience. Without any degree, you need to prove five years of translation experience. What is your situation exactly?
Collapse

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points again Tomás Jun 7, 2011

Yes, I have a Master's degree, but unfortunately not in translation. So I need 2 years experience under my belt before I can sit for the exam. So the first reinvestment of my earnings might be in a CAT tool, and then, a year from now, I will probably put the money into the ATA exam. That seems to be the most practical thing for now. It can be a little frustrating when you're excluded from even bidding on certain jobs because the outsourcer requires either a CAT tool, credentials, or both. ... See more
Yes, I have a Master's degree, but unfortunately not in translation. So I need 2 years experience under my belt before I can sit for the exam. So the first reinvestment of my earnings might be in a CAT tool, and then, a year from now, I will probably put the money into the ATA exam. That seems to be the most practical thing for now. It can be a little frustrating when you're excluded from even bidding on certain jobs because the outsourcer requires either a CAT tool, credentials, or both. Poco a poco, ¿verdad? As we speak I'm also earning a certificate in translation through NYU, but that will also take a little more time.Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jun 7, 2011

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:
Yes, I have a Master's degree, but unfortunately not in translation. So I need 2 years experience under my belt before I can sit for the exam. So the first reinvestment of my earnings might be in a CAT tool, and then, a year from now, I will probably put the money into the ATA exam. That seems to be the most practical thing for now. It can be a little frustrating when you're excluded from even bidding on certain jobs because the outsourcer requires either a CAT tool, credentials, or both. Poco a poco, ¿verdad? As we speak I'm also earning a certificate in translation through NYU, but that will also take a little more time.

Yes, "poco a poco".

I would definitely add your Master's to the Proz.com profile. It is a clear advantage if competing for a translation in your specialty.

As for the certification, indeed in a way it is good to have to wait until you have the two years of experience. More translation experience can only help you do a better exam.

Good luck!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
reply Jun 7, 2011

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:

Right, so in other words you first chose to invest in CAT tools, THEN in certification. That seems to be a wiser choice, at least initially.

Well, the 250€ investment for Wordfast was more accessible than the ATA certification when I was starting out. It certainly made it possible for me to get more agency work.

If I lived near an ATA chapter, I probably would have done the certification much sooner, if not before investing in software. The 2-year experience requirement was not an issue for me as I already had around 7 years of professional translation experience when I decided to "start trying" to leave my salaried position. I would have to check, but I do believe I became an ATA member before I started training on WF. I eventually gave up on the ATA membership a few years later when it became clear that I wouldn't be able to sit the exam anytime soon.

I will probably have a much better chance of passing the exam now, with several more years of experience in more varied fields. In my salaried position, my translation experience was in a very specific, technical field, and for the ATA exam, you need to have more general translation ability in my opinion. I certainly feel that I have improved over the years.

I also have a university degree, language related but not in translation. I worked in a totally unrelated field for several years which is where I gained my translation experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Better investment - certification or CAT tool?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »