Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2011

Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be interviewing for an in-house proofing/quality control position at a local translation agency. For those of you who have been through this process before, I'm wondering what interviews for in-house positions like this typically entail. Specifically, I'm wondering if there are any questions I should expect the interviewers to ask and if agencies usually do anything to test/verify your language abilities in the interview. My application was in English and
... See more
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be interviewing for an in-house proofing/quality control position at a local translation agency. For those of you who have been through this process before, I'm wondering what interviews for in-house positions like this typically entail. Specifically, I'm wondering if there are any questions I should expect the interviewers to ask and if agencies usually do anything to test/verify your language abilities in the interview. My application was in English and Spanish, and I believe I will be interviewing in English (we're in the US), but I'm curious as to wether or not agencies administer translation/language tests for in house positions the same way they sometimes do when you begin freelancing with them.

Thanks for any input on this. Wish me luck!
Collapse

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Member (2009)
English to French
Before Jun 6, 2011

In-house positions usually ask for a test before they interview you, sometimes during. But yes, there will most likely be a test, although I'm surprised they didn't mention it when they scheduled you, as they pretty much always do, which may mean that there won't be any.

And for the interview, just be prepared for the usual questions, and to explain what kind of projects you have done in the past, and if you were a freelancer, what was your daily routine.

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know. Jun 6, 2011

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

In-house positions usually ask for a test before they interview you, sometimes during. But yes, there will most likely be a test, although I'm surprised they didn't mention it when they scheduled you, as they pretty much always do, which may mean that there won't be any.

And for the interview, just be prepared for the usual questions, and to explain what kind of projects you have done in the past, and if you were a freelancer, what was your daily routine.

Thanks for the input. It may be that part of my application, which was done in both the languages involved, was considered a test of sorts.

In your experience, are these generally written tests, or do they also require you to pass a verbal exam of some kind?

EngtoSpaTrans
EngtoSpaTrans
United States
Local time: 05:07
English to Spanish
Verbal test Jun 6, 2011

Hi, when I was interviewed; they asked me regular questions, first in English, then in Spanish. Before the interview I had to pass a written test. Good luck!

Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
French to English
proofreading test Jun 6, 2011

During my interview for a similar position, I was given the source and target languages side by side and had to point out errors, such as mistranslations, punctuation errors, missing text, etc.

Good luck - let us know how it went!

Sarah

Marie Safarovic
Marie Safarovic
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:07
Russian to German
+ ...
in-house position: Easiest to find where your mother tongue is spoken? Jun 8, 2011

Dear all,

I am not quite there yet and currently browsing the forum for some inspiration on how to get established: I think an in-house position is more suitable than freelancing, am I right? On the other hand I remember a conversation with a fellow student of mine who had some experience as a translator and told me that effectively the nature of your work was similar, you would work for one company but take your work home and probably still accept offers from other companies. Is th
... See more
Dear all,

I am not quite there yet and currently browsing the forum for some inspiration on how to get established: I think an in-house position is more suitable than freelancing, am I right? On the other hand I remember a conversation with a fellow student of mine who had some experience as a translator and told me that effectively the nature of your work was similar, you would work for one company but take your work home and probably still accept offers from other companies. Is this right?

Another aspect I am wondering about is where to find work - geographically. Is it in a country where your mother tongue is spoken, or on the contrary, elsewhere?

Hope you don't mind my posting in your threat and looking forward to your answers.

Regards and good luck with the job interview, maybe you would be so kind to tell the comunity what it was like and what they asked, I am sure this would be benificial not only to me

Marie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interviewing for an in-house position

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »