Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How and where to start as a translator/interpreter
Thread poster: Syrian64
Syrian64
Syrian64
TOPIC STARTER
Great Info Jun 6, 2011

Thank you all very much, I will pass all of this along and get back to you with progress reports...

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:04
German to English
+ ...
Since she lives in the US Jun 6, 2011

here is an interesting link she may want to pursue as a possibility:
http://languageservices.state.gov/content.asp?Content_id=174&menu_id=108

I know that they are always looking for qualified Arabic speakers, but not any details. Might be worthwhile for her to look into it.

Syrian64
Syrian64
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jun 7, 2011

Thank you so Much Woodstock.........

begoaspi
begoaspi
Local time: 05:04
English to Spanish
For Sheila, about charitable organizations Jun 10, 2011

I am interested in your suggestion of doing pro bono translations for charitable organizations. How would you go about that? I haven't been living in the States for very long and I am not familiar with this kind of thing. Just out of curiosity I have googled charitable organizations in the city where I live and there are thousands of them. How could I know which ones might need translation work?
Thank you very much for your help.

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Translators Without Borders Jun 11, 2011

begoaspi wrote:

I am interested in your suggestion of doing pro bono translations for charitable organizations. How would you go about that? I haven't been living in the States for very long and I am not familiar with this kind of thing. Just out of curiosity I have googled charitable organizations in the city where I live and there are thousands of them. How could I know which ones might need translation work?
Thank you very much for your help.

Google them

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TWB is certainly one option Jun 11, 2011

At least you know that TWB need translations!

Apart from them, though, I think you should attack it not from the angle of "who needs translations" but rather "who do I want to do translations for, who might have a need". Remember, you're going to be giving your time for free here, so it should be something you really want to do. So Google for those who work in the areas that most interest you. Then, maybe it would be good to find some who already have some stuff translated into Spa
... See more
At least you know that TWB need translations!

Apart from them, though, I think you should attack it not from the angle of "who needs translations" but rather "who do I want to do translations for, who might have a need". Remember, you're going to be giving your time for free here, so it should be something you really want to do. So Google for those who work in the areas that most interest you. Then, maybe it would be good to find some who already have some stuff translated into Spanish, but not all - I imagine they would welcome you. Also, ones that have stuff translated into French (for example) but not Spanish.

I know not-for-profit organisations sometimes post jobs here on ProZ (that's how I learned of PlaNet Finance) but they don't seem to be readily identifiable here as a group. I'll look into that more.
Collapse

begoaspi
begoaspi
Local time: 05:04
English to Spanish
Thank you Jun 12, 2011

Thank you so much sheila for your quick and clear reply. Good tips

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 13:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
Translators without boarders Jun 13, 2011

actally require 2 years of expience so for a newbee thats not really a posibiity...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How and where to start as a translator/interpreter

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »