Kornelia Longoria
Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:30
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 22, 2004

Translating has been my hobby now I want to make it my profession. Unfortunately I don't have any education in this field. Can anybody tell me how to do it. I just have a teaching certificate (teaching ESL). I live in Chicago, IL. Anybody from this area wanting to help?

[Edited at 2004-03-23 00:06]

Greenwood
Greenwood
Spanish to English
translating schools Mar 22, 2004

corry000 wrote:

Translating has been my hobby now I want to make it my profession. Unfortunately I don't have any education in this field. Can anybody tell me how to do it. I just have a teaching certificate (teaching ESL). I live in Chicago, IL. Anybody from this area wanting to help?

Greenwood
Greenwood
Spanish to English
WLS Translation Courses Mar 22, 2004

corry000 wrote:
You might enquire of . They have courses that are conducted through the Internet and specifically designed for people to want to enter the profession. I recently completed one and, although I haven't started working professionally yet I was very pleased with the professional nature of the instruction. I am not sure if they do Polish translation though.
Translating has been my hobby now I want to make it my profession. Unfortunately I don\'t have any education in this field. Can anybody tell me how to do it. I just have a teaching certificate (teaching ESL). I live in Chicago, IL. Anybody from this area wanting to help?

Greenwood
Greenwood
Spanish to English
Translation Courses Mar 22, 2004

Hi Corry
Try emailing . They are in Dublin, Ireland and have Internet courses specifically designed for people wanting to enter the profession. I just completed their Certificate Course - Spanish-English and found it excellent. I don't know if they have Polish courses though.
Good luck
Jeremy Greenwood

Greenwood
Greenwood
Spanish to English
Translation courses Mar 23, 2004

Corry,
Somehow the address got lost. It's
Jeremy Greenwood

Kornelia Longoria
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 23, 2004

Thank you Jeremy
Unfortunately none of the courses I found offered translation from/into Polish. So i will haveve to keep looking.

Mauricio Vicente
Mauricio Vicente  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:30
MIIS is moving in that direction Mar 23, 2004

The Monterey Institute of International Studies is exploring on-line education, and could become an important provider of advanced in-service training for translators.

A pilot program in Russian>English translation is currently in the works for this Summer. The description of that course is below. The Grad School of Translation and Interpretation seems willing to talk about more courses in any pair for which thre is a sufficient demand. My advice for those with serious inquiries
... See more
The Monterey Institute of International Studies is exploring on-line education, and could become an important provider of advanced in-service training for translators.

A pilot program in Russian>English translation is currently in the works for this Summer. The description of that course is below. The Grad School of Translation and Interpretation seems willing to talk about more courses in any pair for which thre is a sufficient demand. My advice for those with serious inquiries would be to voice your interest to Mike Gillen ([email protected]) for Slavic Languages or to an appropriate faculty member at MIIS (http://www.miis.edu/gsti-faculty-intro.html)

T&IR 590 -- PRINCIPLES OF TRANSLATION (on-line only)

This course is designed for:
- Experienced professional translators seeking to enhance their skills
- Experienced professional translators working in an administrative/managerial capacity
- Experienced professional translators desiring to pursue the GSTI MAT degree

This is a 4-unit (60 contact hours) graduate course intended to serve as the introductory module to a curriculum designed to meet the professional development requirements of advanced foreign language professionals in translation, i.e., those who, in addition to performing exceptionally demanding and complex translation work, are responsible for managing translation workflows and for assisting in the design and implementation of effective translation processes and systems. The three major course objectives are: to familiarize course participants with the theoretical literature in translation studies, to offer a forum for the discussion and relevant application of translation theory and best professional practice across a variety of professional settings, and to provide participants with the opportunity to translate text types that they might not ordinarily encounter on the job. Fundamental translation theory will be emphasized at the beginning of the course, and participants will be expected to complete and knowledgeably discuss a lengthy reading list of theoretical literature as the course progresses. Course assignments will include practice and graded exercises in sight and written translation, utilizing authentic texts drawn from an extensive variety of text categories that include, but are not limited to, current events, general political economy, general legal documents, and scientific and technical topics for general audiences. As the term progresses, more time will be devoted to the preparation and evaluation of written translation assignments. Participants will be expected to sit for at least one midterm exam and one final exam, to be assigned at the discretion of the instructor(s) of record. Successful completion of the course, as set forth in the academic guidelines of the Graduate School of Translation and Interpretation (GSTI), will qualify participants to apply for advanced-entry status to GSTI’s MAT degree program, provided all other Monterey Institute requirements for admission have been met. Participants may also choose to matriculate as non-degree (special) students.

Course schedule TBA.
Course prerequisites: Admission to GSTI or equivalent standing.
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:30
German to English
+ ...
City U Distance Program Mar 24, 2004

The City University of London offers a distance course from English into Polish (among other language pairs), to prepare for the Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation Exam:

http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.htm

I did their distance course from German into English and can highly recommend it. Whether you take the IOL exam or not, the course alone is a great wa
... See more
The City University of London offers a distance course from English into Polish (among other language pairs), to prepare for the Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation Exam:

http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.htm

I did their distance course from German into English and can highly recommend it. Whether you take the IOL exam or not, the course alone is a great way to get your feet wet translating and learn a lot.
Collapse

Kornelia Longoria
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Finally something for me. Mar 24, 2004

Samantha Janci
Samantha Janci
Spanish to English
looking for a translation course Apr 11, 2004

I would like to take a course on translation this year, but it would be best if it was close to home (near Chicago, IL). I'm hoping online courses aren't my only options, but it may come to that. Most of the colleges don't seem to offer relevent courses... any ideas?

Linden Tree LS
Linden Tree LS
Japan
Local time: 11:30
English to Japanese
+ ...
Imperial College London MSc Trans - moving towards e-learning Jun 25, 2004

Masters in Translation Studies at Imperial College London has been posting questionnaire on its website.

http://www.hu.ic.ac.uk/translation/elearning.html

The program is MSc in Scientific, Technical, and Medical Translation with Translation Technology.

Excited, I've been waiting for this one to come true for some time. Please visit their site and t
... See more
Masters in Translation Studies at Imperial College London has been posting questionnaire on its website.

http://www.hu.ic.ac.uk/translation/elearning.html

The program is MSc in Scientific, Technical, and Medical Translation with Translation Technology.

Excited, I've been waiting for this one to come true for some time. Please visit their site and take a look. I believe good amount of response will help them move ahead and shape up a better program that reflect real translators' needs.

[Edited at 2004-06-25 19:16]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Education & Courses

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »