Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:34
English to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2004

Hallo Dears!

I was just wondering! why is the pricing so important?? Because the outsourcer wants something done within a given time frame, econdly he want you/us to keep the original format ( delivered in form). But he is not willing to pay that regular price, whether lower, middle, or top. what do you do ? just do a translation fulfilling the requirement, no fun and no excitement. Normally the excitement begins, when the outsourcer would like to see the project in a given time fra
... See more
Hallo Dears!

I was just wondering! why is the pricing so important?? Because the outsourcer wants something done within a given time frame, econdly he want you/us to keep the original format ( delivered in form). But he is not willing to pay that regular price, whether lower, middle, or top. what do you do ? just do a translation fulfilling the requirement, no fun and no excitement. Normally the excitement begins, when the outsourcer would like to see the project in a given time frame, provided the translator is also in a position to put-up the required skill to fulfill that requirement. In a german way, I know that - transmission of the sense of the content picture is delivered in the next needed communication source. Are we all communicating equally same!! I personlly have great respect who can really translate and reproduce the same in best understood form. What does the insurance say?
brandis - that was a soul talk?? The last 2 weeks I was doing a wonderful website localization work, it was really fun, as it came out that the outsourcer was working on open source project,hence cannot abide the rules of trade and working ethic. What would you do!

[Edited at 2004-03-10 21:55]

[Edited at 2004-03-10 22:14]
Collapse

Alex Zelkind (X)
Alex Zelkind (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes! Mar 11, 2004

Completely agree with everything you've said! Thank you for sharing with us your ideas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How does opensourceness affect trade ethic? Mar 11, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:
...as it came out that the outsourcer was working on open source project, hence cannot abide the rules of trade and working ethic.

Rules of trade and work ethic always apply to all jobs (except top secret government jobs), regardless of the licencing of the product.

Or perhaps I'm wrong -- can you explain to us the salient issues where outsourcing open source projects are concerned?

[Edited at 2004-03-11 18:45]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I could not understand your point? Mar 12, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Sorry Really I could not grasp what you asked.Could you make it clear?

Renksiz yesil düsünceler hiddetle uyuyordu.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Mar 13, 2004

This is the classic example given by the great linguist Noam Chomsky of a sentence which is valid grammatically but not semantically.

Yes, I speak a little Turkish.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-03-13 16:00]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
closing this soul talk Jun 26, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

At least served for giving a chance to remind the rules to all readers.But no doubt to delete. As I did last of your posting. If the society you addressed does not understand a language, speeking them in that language may be taken not a good manner.

I expect you to post in Turkish in Turkish forum, do not bother we welcome any level of Turkish, they are all dear to us whether they speak perfect or little.

As to the "topic" here, I am still waiting for clarification but if there is no reply it will be deemed a "no reply " reply.:)

[Edited at 2004-03-13 16:37]
Hello Tayfun, I was simply trying to convey, that a job/project was really fun and there was lot to do, but there was not much money in it. Finally the outsourcer came begging, so I had to organize for payment in installments. As I had offered or organized this, I was unsure whether the outsourcer would ever be in a position to comply with my regularity, but he did infact in gaps. Greets
Brandis

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clarification please Jun 27, 2004

Hi Tayfun,

Could you please clarify your comment regarding "acting like a higher authority?" I would greatly appreciate it if you would take responsibility for your response to Marc acknowledging that it is your judgment or opinion that he was "acting like a higher authority." I read his comment and got a chuckle from it. My understanding of it was that it was an attempt at wit, not at all an attempt to disparage or insult a fellow user.

Rather, I judge that the method
... See more
Hi Tayfun,

Could you please clarify your comment regarding "acting like a higher authority?" I would greatly appreciate it if you would take responsibility for your response to Marc acknowledging that it is your judgment or opinion that he was "acting like a higher authority." I read his comment and got a chuckle from it. My understanding of it was that it was an attempt at wit, not at all an attempt to disparage or insult a fellow user.

Rather, I judge that the method in which you expressed your comment was condescending to Marc and coming from a place of "act(ing) like a higher authority." The imagery of a grade school teacher standing in front of her class "clk clking" at them and telling them "we dont do things this way" comes to mind.

It is my judgment that as a moderator you have an extra responsibility of expressing yourself in clear and respectful terms that help us to understand the forum and get more from the site and respect each other. The use of "I" statements rather than generalizations is important in that such practice takes responsibility for the words spoken. I encourage you to practice using "I" statements. The way I express myself is very important to me because it reflects who I am.

Salud, che.

Sincerely,
David Jessop

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

or we do not act like a higher authority to judge or evaluate linguistic fitness of other colleagues through forum postings.

They do not submit their postings to a lingistic scrutiny or inquisition but just try to communicate with us.

MarcPrior wrote:

.., though it isn't really appropriate, since the first criterion doesn't apply either.

Marc
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

some ideas

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »