Thread poster: enigma62
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Take Emma's advice Dec 13, 2010

You should really take Emma's advice and remove the sample on your profile right now. If I was your client, I wouldn't be happy at all!
Irene

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:58
French to English
+ ...
Observations Dec 13, 2010

enigma62 wrote:
I will say that it is a bit sad that we live in a world whereby we cannot reveal information without the risk of it being used nefariously by others. I got caught up in my translation and did not realize the nature of the information being posted.

You posted intimate details about the lives of an adoptive couple on a public site, presumably without the couple's knowledge. That's very high on the list of things a translator (or indeed anyone) shouldn't do. I don't think it's right to blame "the world".

I recognize that my grammar skills are lacking but hope that with spelling and grammar checks that will not be an issue.

Even the very best spelling and grammar checker can't overcome poor writing skills. These skills can to a certain extent be acquired, and I recommend you seek high-quality training in translation before you consider embarking on it as a career.

The sample translation you posted contains some serious inaccuracies; another reason to pursue training, or possibly to forget the idea altogether.

Bottom line: if you want to translate professionally, ensure that you can translate to a professional level.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Dec 13, 2010

Angela Dickson wrote:
Bottom line: if you want to translate professionally, ensure that you can translate to a professional level.

Hear, hear!

Paul.

Elisabeth Moser
Elisabeth Moser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Some good advice Dec 20, 2010

I agree with Emma and Paul. Please delete the sample translation. It is a serious breach of confidentiality. In addition, the sample is poorly translated. I advise you to take some translator classes. There are some wonderful programs, even online courses. Sign up at http://www.nycourts.gov/courtinterpreter/ for the phase I seminar for the court interpreter certification. It's well worth it. It ... See more
I agree with Emma and Paul. Please delete the sample translation. It is a serious breach of confidentiality. In addition, the sample is poorly translated. I advise you to take some translator classes. There are some wonderful programs, even online courses. Sign up at http://www.nycourts.gov/courtinterpreter/ for the phase I seminar for the court interpreter certification. It's well worth it. It will demonstrate your weaknesses and strengths and teaches you a bit about ethics. The success rate for phase II ranges between 4 and 16 percent throughout the consortium member states. Only once you pass the phase II examination are you permitted to take the phase III examination. Here the failure rate is even higher. You are expected to be bilingual. However, you are expected to know your legal terms, confidentiality issues, to convey speech at various educational levels. You got quite a road ahead of you. Good luck!Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting as a translator and meeting clients

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »