How to meet direct clients at ProZ.com
Thread poster: Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:47
French to English
Nov 14, 2010

Are there any direct clients on proz.com? I have not seen any posts in my language combination but perhaps others have. I'm just curious why direct clients would not utilize a site such as this one to cut costs.

Thoughts?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 17:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
contacts through profile Nov 14, 2010

I don't know about the job posts, but I have been contacted by direct clients through my profile on a number of occasions.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very few Nov 14, 2010

Unfortunately there are very few direct customers in Proz.com. I think the site hasn't still reached the "outer market", i.e. a market beyond agencies. Maybe the site is a bit too specific for that, and in a way a bit cumbersome to use for customers who know nothing about translation but need a translation.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Direct contact from direct clients Nov 14, 2010

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I don't know about the job posts, but I have been contacted by direct clients through my profile on a number of occasions.

So have I.

I think the idea of posting a job is a little overwhelming for some direct clients and the number of replies would probably overwhelm them, too. As Tomás says, they don't really know enough about translating to deal with that - they just want to get in touch with a professional who can help them.

What I have had, though, is direct clients who register as basic site users, then either look for my profile as they have been recommended to me and so have my name, or look in the directory and send a message to one or two translators near the top of the list.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Direct contact from direct clients, Nov 14, 2010

as Sheila so succinctly said. Two of my best clients, no three, contacted me through my profile. I think all three took the trouble to register as a basic user, again as Sheila said.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Most jobs go straight through the directory Nov 14, 2010

Hello all,

Hope you are spending a nice Sunday!

Note that while translation and interpretation jobs are posted at ProZ.com, these are only a small percentage of the work that is passed through the site. A great majority of the jobs passed go straight through the directory, with outsourcers --translation agencies and direct clients-- searching for language professionals in specific language pairs and fields of expertise, and, as Cindy, Sheila and Suzan noticed, contactin
... See more
Hello all,

Hope you are spending a nice Sunday!

Note that while translation and interpretation jobs are posted at ProZ.com, these are only a small percentage of the work that is passed through the site. A great majority of the jobs passed go straight through the directory, with outsourcers --translation agencies and direct clients-- searching for language professionals in specific language pairs and fields of expertise, and, as Cindy, Sheila and Suzan noticed, contacting service providers directly.

But, in order to attract potential clients' attention, there are a few things you should do:

1. Build a good profile by entering some basic information such as account type, the services you offer, your working language pairs and the fields in which you specialize. You can also report any language or translation-related credential you have earned, your years of experience, the software you handle and your availability. Just visit your Profile updater, http://www.proz.com/settings/ , and take a few minutes to make sure you have entered as much information as you can.

2. Become a member, as members are ranked ahead of non-members in the directory of freelancers and interpreters, http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/ , and are then more visible in searches.

3. Earn KudoZ PRO points in your top language pairs and fields of expertise, as this is how directory search results are ranked among the first group (members) and the second group (non-members).

4. Specialize.

5. Join the Certified PRO Netwrok, as becoming a certified PRO will allow you to network and collaborate in an environment consisting entirely of screened professionals, including clients seeking the services of certified PROs only. (it is important, though, that all previous strategies are put into use, and that all required information is gathered, before applying for inclusion in the Certified PRO Network).

If you are interested in learning how to apply these winning strategies, sign up for one of the free webinars on "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" that are being offered on a weekly basis, http://www.proz.com/translator-training/format/webinar-presentations

Though the attendees limit has been reached for the next "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" webinar (Friday, November 19th), a new one will be announced soon. So, stay tuned.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the remaining of your weekend!

Lucia
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Promotion of use by direct clients would not seem to be in the site's interest Nov 14, 2010

Like Sheila and Cindy, I also have been contacted by direct clients through proz.com mail although, in my case, this has only happened a few times.

The subject has come up before, and I don't think the site is interested in promoting use of the Jobs Board by direct clients, since a critical mass of such usage would constitute direct competition with the agencies that are members/users of the site.

Plus there is the whole issue of selection of qualified candidates and
... See more
Like Sheila and Cindy, I also have been contacted by direct clients through proz.com mail although, in my case, this has only happened a few times.

The subject has come up before, and I don't think the site is interested in promoting use of the Jobs Board by direct clients, since a critical mass of such usage would constitute direct competition with the agencies that are members/users of the site.

Plus there is the whole issue of selection of qualified candidates and project management that private clients are typically neither equipped nor inclined to deal with (as Sheila and Tomas have pointed out).

Theoretically, it would be possible for proz.com to offer to mediate between direct clients and potential translator candidates (i.e., to engage in project management activities and even to hold payment in escrow) but any such role would place the site itself in direct competition with agencies that use the site, would require a considerable investment of resources to develop such a program in multiple language pairs, and put proz.com in a position of having to mediate disputes between direct clients and contractors if problems should arise. From the site's point of view, this would likely be seen as a losing proposition.

[Edited at 2010-11-14 15:50 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
profile Nov 14, 2010

Cindy Chadd wrote:

Yes, same for me.

I do agree that the site may be too specific to be used widely by direct clients, from what I could see though (visitors profiles) a number of these clients use the direct link to profiles further to a search online.

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Competition with agencies and additional responsibility Nov 15, 2010

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I think those are some good points. It seems that Proz.com already has quite a bit to handle and accepting additional responsibilities mediating between translators and clients would probably make it impossible to continue with its original goals. In any case, it is a great site and I appreciate what it does for the industry!

Thanks again!

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
United States
Japanese to English
direct clients rarely come to you (comparatively speaking) Nov 15, 2010

I think that by the nature of the business, comparatively speaking, outsourcers are more likely to come looking for you than direct customers. I said "comparatively", unless you're very established, I don't think they'll come banging on your door either without effort on your part.

I've been translating on the side for many years and most of it has been with direct clients. In fact, I probably shouldn't say this here, but I'm relatively new to the whole outsourcer dynamic of it. Tak
... See more
I think that by the nature of the business, comparatively speaking, outsourcers are more likely to come looking for you than direct customers. I said "comparatively", unless you're very established, I don't think they'll come banging on your door either without effort on your part.

I've been translating on the side for many years and most of it has been with direct clients. In fact, I probably shouldn't say this here, but I'm relatively new to the whole outsourcer dynamic of it. Taking my time with it, as there seems to be lots going on behind-the-scenes.

Anyway, you want to tell as many people as you can that you offer translation services, without being too annoying

I've received direct clients from friends of friends who I had a 5 minute conversation with months ago. If I didn't bring up that I was doing translation work, I'd never have been considered. This was a small company that sold a certain wine making apparatus. I translated for them and almost immediately they received more overseas inquiries. Well, they told their supplier about it, so I did their supplier's website too.

So from that original 5 minute conversation, I received 2 website translation jobs, directly. Of course, I've let countless people know I offer translation services and get nothing, but that's the way it goes.

You don't win if you don't play.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to meet direct clients at ProZ.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »