Canela Rodal (X)
Canela Rodal (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2010

Hello,

I'm setting up my website and I was advised from a marketing person not to talk about "I" but to talk about "we". Other colleagues, on the other hand, have told me I should be clear about who I am and try to have a more "personal" website. What are your opinions on this?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Be honest, I think Nov 13, 2010

In my personal opinion, if it's a one-(wo)man business, "I" should be used. Of course I'm aware that (like the people who advised you to do otherwise) there are plenty of websites out there who say "We" when there's only one person behind it, but I find it misleading, just like the websites that put fake photos of executives in suits and ties sitting around a meeting table listening to a presentation and looking at a flowchart...

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
I use "I" Nov 13, 2010

Canela Rodal wrote:

Other colleagues, on the other hand, have told me I should be clear about who I am and try to have a more "personal" website.

This is what I think and what I did for my website, never mind if it may look less professional.

Stéphanie

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I think so, too Nov 13, 2010

As I've gone through this just recently as well, I know these kind of thoughts.

First I was playing with the "we", because it may create the impression of a big company, but in the end I decided to use "I", simply because its my business and I run it. There are no other people involved and how would it look like if I used "we" and there was only my picutre on the site, only me answering the phone and emails... that may leave a strange impression then.

Using "I" doesn't
... See more
As I've gone through this just recently as well, I know these kind of thoughts.

First I was playing with the "we", because it may create the impression of a big company, but in the end I decided to use "I", simply because its my business and I run it. There are no other people involved and how would it look like if I used "we" and there was only my picutre on the site, only me answering the phone and emails... that may leave a strange impression then.

Using "I" doesn't prevent me from mentioning that I work closely with other colleagues though.

Hope this helps.

Joachim
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"We" would be phoney Nov 13, 2010

I know it sounds more professional to use "we" but it's also mis-representation if it's only referring to one person. Not a good start to a relationship, professional or otherwise, IMO.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to point out that you are not entirely isolated i.e. there's ProZ as backup and perhaps you collaborate with proofreaders and translators in your pairs and/or in the reverse pairs.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It depends Nov 13, 2010

For example on your domain name. If the domain name is based on your full name such as Stéphanie's (beautiful logo BTW, Stéphanie!), then "I" is appropriate. I actually like this version because it underlines the unique personality behind your work.

If your domain name is "translation-international.com" (I am exaggerating), then "I" would look a little bit odd.

There are two aspects why "we" might be appropriate:

1.) You are outsourcing or hiring editors
... See more
For example on your domain name. If the domain name is based on your full name such as Stéphanie's (beautiful logo BTW, Stéphanie!), then "I" is appropriate. I actually like this version because it underlines the unique personality behind your work.

If your domain name is "translation-international.com" (I am exaggerating), then "I" would look a little bit odd.

There are two aspects why "we" might be appropriate:

1.) You are outsourcing or hiring editors on a regular basis. All of the sudden you are a team.

2.) You would like to attract direct clients. Direct clients expect full service (translating, editing, QA and they expect their work ready to print) and it is rather unlikely that they will entrust a one-man-show with the full responsibility.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Attempt at being humourous... Nov 13, 2010

I hereby register the patent for the expression "iWe"... and seriously, I use the first person singular on my website - using "we" would sound phoney as Sheila wrote it.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:12
English to Thai
+ ...
We Nov 13, 2010

I use 'we' since my freelance jobs require second person review, proofreading, DTP etc.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 11:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
You said it: "my website" Nov 13, 2010

Hello,

Since it is your personal website, so it shall be misleading to use we. In my opinion, I is the appropriate form. Using we, in a personal website may cause embarrassing questions by visitors or potential clients.

Suppose that you shall use we, shall it be possible to use menu titles such as My Vision, My Mission, My CV or any other My?

Anyway, each form has its privileges and constrains.
... See more
Hello,

Since it is your personal website, so it shall be misleading to use we. In my opinion, I is the appropriate form. Using we, in a personal website may cause embarrassing questions by visitors or potential clients.

Suppose that you shall use we, shall it be possible to use menu titles such as My Vision, My Mission, My CV or any other My?

Anyway, each form has its privileges and constrains.

Regards
Collapse

Lourdes Zalcik
Lourdes Zalcik  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was wondering about this myself Nov 13, 2010

I guess I'll be changing the we for I on my website shortly. Thanks to the person who asked for asking the question, and thanks for your contributions as I just made my mind on this matter.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Who do you trade as? Nov 13, 2010

Canela Rodal wrote:
I'm setting up my website and I was advised from a marketing person not to talk about "I" but to talk about "we". Other colleagues, on the other hand, have told me I should be clear about who I am and try to have a more "personal" website.

If you trade under your own name, then use "I". If you trade as a business entity (even if you are the only person in it), then use "we". Even if you use "I" in e-mails with clients, but you trade as a business (not as a person), then use "we".

That said, it would not be strange for you to use "I" even if you do trade as a business, but it certainly would be strange for you to use "we" if you clearly trade in your personal capacity.

What your marketing friend doesn't realise is that freelance translators often build up reputation in their personal capacity, and their relationship with their clients rely a lot on the impression of them rendering a personal service. In some businesses, it is a mistake to create the impression that you're all alone in the business, but in our trade, it is not.

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
I Nov 13, 2010

Definitely.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
My experience Nov 14, 2010

My experience is that the times are a-changing and that even large companies (direct clients) do no longer refrain from working with individuals.

Direct clients of mine are Microsoft, Electronic Arts, SEGA Europe and many others. They don't deal with my translation agency at www.akebono.nl, but with me
... See more
My experience is that the times are a-changing and that even large companies (direct clients) do no longer refrain from working with individuals.

Direct clients of mine are Microsoft, Electronic Arts, SEGA Europe and many others. They don't deal with my translation agency at www.akebono.nl, but with me personally at www.loekalization.com. They are also friends of me on Facebook.

I would never have believed this 5 years ago, but I really do believe that times have changed and that even large companies have stopped looking for we's and are specially looking for talented I's, if only to save on the middle man companies that offer no added value.

Be confident, be honest and be clear. Be small and personal, but also show that you are not be taken lightly. Large companies will see this and appreciate you all the more.

You will need a good and informative website to back your statements, and it may take years before big companies will actually find you. But I know for a fact that these companies - or at least individuals in these companies who have a say in this - are scouting for talent continuously; if you can show that you know a lot about the field they work in, and that you really understand their pain and needs, they will hire you without doubt. As long as your website is aimed at companies with regular translation needs.

If you can deliver quality and know how to combine this with lightning speed (answering e-mails within 30 minutes is a good start; 10 minutes is better), you have something agencies will never have. You know right away if you can do 2000 words today or not; an agency will first need to make several calls to their translators before they know this. Use this to your advantage. Large companies want quality and speed. Few agencies offer the former. No agency offers the latter. Food for thought.

[Edited at 2010-11-14 00:31 GMT]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Now that's what I call a translator's website, Loek! Nov 14, 2010

Loek van Kooten wrote:

with me personally at www.loekalization.com .

Fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed going through the pages... just thought I should mention it!

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 14, 2010

Thank you for the kind words, Nesrin! It's the result of constant and immediate implementation of feedback/questions/remarks from clients and colleagues.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer's website: "I" or "We"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »