Looking of information related to process and cost of getting US visa
Thread poster: Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2004

Sorry if this message isn't in the right topic, but I didn't know where to put it exactly.

I know that since the 11th september it is difficult to get the visa to work at the US, but the fact is that I have been offeres a job in the US (I live in Spain and I need a visa to be able to work there).

This company has told me that they will tramit my visa, and we will share the costs, wich are $600 each.

I do think that this price for getting a Visa is too high
... See more
Sorry if this message isn't in the right topic, but I didn't know where to put it exactly.

I know that since the 11th september it is difficult to get the visa to work at the US, but the fact is that I have been offeres a job in the US (I live in Spain and I need a visa to be able to work there).

This company has told me that they will tramit my visa, and we will share the costs, wich are $600 each.

I do think that this price for getting a Visa is too high ($1200), and I just wanted to know if anybody has any experience or know how does it works to get a Visa to work at the US.

Appart from this, the company seems serious, and all the other conditions of the job are fine.

What do you think?

I will go to the consulate to ask, but any help you could give me will be really welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 11, 2004

...to Getting Established.

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:29
Member (2002)
Russian to English
price sounds ok Feb 11, 2004

I used to do translations/interpreting in the H1-B department of a large immigration firm in Los Angeles. The price you were quoted (total of $1200) sounds fair. Ask your potential employer if your visa will be handled by someone in-house or by a firm that they hire. If it's being done in-house you want the email and telephone of their lawyer/paralegal. If an outside firm will be doing the work, get their number.

Other questions you may want to talk over with your potential employe
... See more
I used to do translations/interpreting in the H1-B department of a large immigration firm in Los Angeles. The price you were quoted (total of $1200) sounds fair. Ask your potential employer if your visa will be handled by someone in-house or by a firm that they hire. If it's being done in-house you want the email and telephone of their lawyer/paralegal. If an outside firm will be doing the work, get their number.

Other questions you may want to talk over with your potential employer:
1. will they sponsor you for a green card?
2. If so, are they willing to start the process now (it takes a while), or do they want you to work for a while before they commit to getting you a GC?

You should also make sure you get a copy of your paperwork from your visa. This will be very helpful if you decide to switch employers (since you would need to file a new H1-B based on the old one).

I know that a lot of things have changed since I left the law firm, so definitely get someone to give you up to date advice.

good luck!
Elizabeth
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Don't give them any money upfront Feb 11, 2004

I would be very suspicious of any company that would ask for money upfront.

Simply ask them for an agreement stating the money will be taken off your first paycheck once you're working for them. If they refuse, you'll know they're more interested in your $600 than in having you come over to work for them.

[Edited at 2004-02-11 15:48]

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
agree with Esther Feb 11, 2004

If it isn't a company you know a lot about (if you have friends working there, for instance), then you definitely should only agree to have the $600 deducted from your paycheck.

But I know that that is an arrangement a lot of companies use (50/50), so that in and of itself isn't cause for suspicion

Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 11, 2004

Thank you for your advice, the problem was that I didn't know how "expensive" is to get a visa.

And I just got suspicious by disinformation.

I have found some information abaout the fees to pay:

In Spanish:
http://www.inmigracionyvisas.com/
In English:... See more
Thank you for your advice, the problem was that I didn't know how "expensive" is to get a visa.

And I just got suspicious by disinformation.

I have found some information abaout the fees to pay:

In Spanish:
http://www.inmigracionyvisas.com/
In English:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/advisories/h1bfee.htm

>
Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
more info Feb 12, 2004

This is just for your information:

according to the law, the employer must pay the $1110 H1-B filing fee - this fee cannot be paid by the prospective employee

most people do end up paying it themselves, though, in the form of a paycheck deduction

there are other costs associated with getting the visa - legal fees usually run to over $1000

i don't know what your situation is, but make sure you know up front exactly how much everything will cost,
... See more
This is just for your information:

according to the law, the employer must pay the $1110 H1-B filing fee - this fee cannot be paid by the prospective employee

most people do end up paying it themselves, though, in the form of a paycheck deduction

there are other costs associated with getting the visa - legal fees usually run to over $1000

i don't know what your situation is, but make sure you know up front exactly how much everything will cost, filing fees, legal fees, out-of-pocket, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking of information related to process and cost of getting US visa

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »