Telephone Interpreting Rates
Thread poster: louisajay
louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2004

Hi,

I am based in London, and a friend here has been approached by a local businessman to do some telephone interpreting, which she has agreed to do - but I need to formulate a quote on her behalf and we've realised we have no idea how much to charge or on what basis. It is French-English-French. Should we charge per hour or per minute, and what do you think would be a reasonable rate?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2004-02-04 16:27]

Anita Milos
Anita Milos  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:58
English to Croatian
+ ...
phone calls Feb 4, 2004

louisajay wrote:

Hi,

I am based in London, and a friend here has been approached by a local businessman to do some telephone interpreting, which she has agreed to do - but I need to formulate a quote on her behalf and we've realised we have no idea how much to charge or on what basis. It is French-English-French. Should we charge per hour or per minute, and what do you think would be a reasonable rate?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2004-02-04 16:27]

I am working English- Croatian- English, and Croatian -French-Croatian, in Bosnia and Herzegovina not in UK so it may be different, but just to give you an idea

Basicly we have based prices on 20E/30 min and it works great... so far

We charge 20.-EUR for 30 min, and that is our minimum charge. Every minut over 30min to 1 hour is additional 20,- EUR and so fort.

All the best
PS. to clarify, 20 EUR/30 min at their disposal, not actual phone call. In practis we have cases where the person we are calling is not available at the moment, or they need another call...(for whatever reason). Or you have to wait untill they call back etc...

[Edited at 2004-02-04 20:02]

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:58
English to German
+ ...
Charge by the minute Feb 4, 2004

Hi Louisajay,
For a while, I worked for an agency that offered over-the-phone interpretation services, and I was paid $5.00 per minute.
{This rate was based on a contract where I had to be available certain hours each day, sort of a stand-by arrangement).
Of course, the agency took its share, so you would definitely charge more.
You could also suggest a flat rate for 10 minutes, plus add-on fees for every additional minute.

lator
lator
United States
Local time: 10:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
More info por favor Mar 5, 2004

Does anyone have anymore information on what to charge for tele-interpreting?

I've just sent off initial paperwork to an ageny here in the States and I'm wondering how much to ask.

My language pair is Spanish/English

Thanks guys.

D

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone Interpreting Rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »