Thread poster: a2ztranslate
a2ztranslate
a2ztranslate  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 21:29
English to Japanese
+ ...
Sep 9, 2010

Having run an agency for over 8 years now, there is one thing that drives me nuts. Every day I get a number of resumes from translators, looking for freelance work. That is not a problem, I encourage that.

BUT I have one big request to translators who send us their resume and introduction.

Please, please, please, state your language pair in your introductory email! I get so many emails that look great, and the resume looks even better, but NOWHERE does it state the lan
... See more
Having run an agency for over 8 years now, there is one thing that drives me nuts. Every day I get a number of resumes from translators, looking for freelance work. That is not a problem, I encourage that.

BUT I have one big request to translators who send us their resume and introduction.

Please, please, please, state your language pair in your introductory email! I get so many emails that look great, and the resume looks even better, but NOWHERE does it state the language(s) you are interested in working in!

Yep, I can usually guess the language pair from your location/name/qualification, but really, if you aren't going to tell me what language(s) you are looking for work in, why would I bother reading your resume?

PUT IT IN THE SUBJECT LINE at least, please!
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:29
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Surprising Sep 9, 2010

A nice post, a2ztranslate

I always put my languages AND the field of expertize in the subject line, e.g.
Willing to be your freelancer / Legal & Financial / English, Portuguese, Lithuanian

and wouldn't imagine someone would omit their languages.

Well, about "Willing to be your freelancer " I am not sure if this is the best way to state the aim of the contact, so maybe someone suggests a
... See more
A nice post, a2ztranslate

I always put my languages AND the field of expertize in the subject line, e.g.
Willing to be your freelancer / Legal & Financial / English, Portuguese, Lithuanian

and wouldn't imagine someone would omit their languages.

Well, about "Willing to be your freelancer " I am not sure if this is the best way to state the aim of the contact, so maybe someone suggests a better phrasing. Thanks.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sounds a reasonable request Sep 9, 2010

I run a workshop where French jobseekers prepare their English CVs and I'm always surprised when they produce a CV that expects the reader to work out what job they're interested in.

I would have thought that a business person (that's what freelancers are, after all) would have no problem stating their business.

Sad that they have to be reminded.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
WOW! Sep 9, 2010

a2ztranslate wrote:
Please, please, please, state your language pair in your introductory email! I get so many emails that look great, and the resume looks even better, but NOWHERE does it state the language(s) you are interested in working in!

Impressive.

Just in case, I checked that my CV contains a clear statement of my language pairs... and it of course does. It is most shocking that professionals forget to say what they are selling.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To all new translators from an agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »