There are a lot of free resources out there if do your homework ;-)
Thread poster: Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 14:57
German to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2004

Hello,

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of free resources out there if do your homework. I started 3 months ago, *completely* penniless after I lost my in-house job, and I am now starting to make a living wage. It IS possible!

My dictionaries are in storage (its a very long story!) about 300 miles away and I work full-time using that huge library we call the Internet. I find everything I need on t
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of free resources out there if do your homework. I started 3 months ago, *completely* penniless after I lost my in-house job, and I am now starting to make a living wage. It IS possible!

My dictionaries are in storage (its a very long story!) about 300 miles away and I work full-time using that huge library we call the Internet. I find everything I need on there, seriously.

Most of the translators' web sites let you have a free membership - I'm not Platinum here yet and I can still bid on jobs - use your BrowniZ and you wont have to pay!

I also use a free tool called Wordfast - download it from www.wordfast.net - it works like (and i believe is also compatible with) Trados, but it is completely free.

I realise that not having a Platinum membership or Trados may limit the jobs you can take on, but believe me, there are still plenty you CAN get, and once you build up a good reputation and a good relationship with a few clients, they will keep coming back.

Good luck!

Hilary
Collapse

Lamprini Kosma
Lamprini Kosma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:57
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wordfast is not completely free Jan 30, 2004

Hilary Davies wrote:

Hello,

My dictionaries are in storage (its a very long story!) about 300 miles away and I work full-time using that huge library we call the Internet. I find everything I need on there, seriously.

Most of the translators' web sites let you have a free membership - I'm not Platinum here yet and I can still bid on jobs - use your BrowniZ and you wont have to pay!

I also use a free tool called Wordfast - download it from www.wordfast.net - it works like (and i believe is also compatible with) Trados, but it is completely free.

I realise that not having a Platinum membership or Trados may limit the jobs you can take on, but believe me, there are still plenty you CAN get, and once you build up a good reputation and a good relationship with a few clients, they will keep coming back.

Good luck!

Hilary

Hello Hilary,

I certainly agree with you: building a good reputation and a good relationship with clients is extremely important. Interner is really a huge library, and yes, being positive is efficient...:-). Just keep in mind that Wordfast is a wonderful and quite simple to use CAT tool, compatible with Trados (not 100%, but enough for the major part of the jobs), but it isn't completely free. It works for free only in trial mode (with translation memories up to 110 Kbytes, and/or 500 TU).

Best wishes,
Lamprini

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good for you, Hilary! Jan 30, 2004

Dear Hilary,

First let me welcome you to our world and wish all the luck in your new endeavor. You are right; with willpower and God's hand guiding us in what we do, we can accomplish wonders.

I myself have not used Trados (first because of no money to buy it - it was very expensive when it first came out and also because I am afraid that I am quite a bit technology-challenged) or other CAT tools for that matter. And, I have more work than I can handle.

T
... See more
Dear Hilary,

First let me welcome you to our world and wish all the luck in your new endeavor. You are right; with willpower and God's hand guiding us in what we do, we can accomplish wonders.

I myself have not used Trados (first because of no money to buy it - it was very expensive when it first came out and also because I am afraid that I am quite a bit technology-challenged) or other CAT tools for that matter. And, I have more work than I can handle.

The important thing is to translate into your native language and deal with the areas of expertise you know well.

You are so right; deliver high-quality translations and one-time customers become long-term business relations.

Happy translating!
Lucinda.
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 14:57
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry - this was meant to be a reply to L Ferrero's topic! Feb 1, 2004

Please could a moderator delete this or move it to the right topic? It should be under "Introduction, newbie with some experience seeks advice" in the same forum!!!

Thanks

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:57
SITE FOUNDER
Now that there are replies... Feb 1, 2004

it is a thread of its own. Thanks for your concern, but no problem!

Hilary Davies wrote:

Please could a moderator delete this or move it to the right topic? It should be under "Introduction, newbie with some experience seeks advice" in the same forum!!!

Thanks

ohemulen
ohemulen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:57
Member (2011)
French to Finnish
+ ...
Many htanks Feb 5, 2004

Thank you, Hilary!

I, too, find myself in this new situation and am relying on the internet to a large extent. Am grateful for all additional resources.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There are a lot of free resources out there if do your homework ;-)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »