Becoming a freelance Project Manager - Possible?
Thread poster: Sandrine Savarit
Sandrine Savarit
Sandrine Savarit  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
English to French
+ ...
Jun 21, 2010

Hi!
I've been translating full time for a while now and come from a business background. I started outsourcing three years ago for local private customers and I'm really enjoying the project management aspect fot he job so I've decided to look into this profession a little more seriously. Any suggestions about how to get started as a PM? Are there lots of opportunities as home-based freelancers out there? Is it worth considering sitting for the PMP certification? Is there any online traini
... See more
Hi!
I've been translating full time for a while now and come from a business background. I started outsourcing three years ago for local private customers and I'm really enjoying the project management aspect fot he job so I've decided to look into this profession a little more seriously. Any suggestions about how to get started as a PM? Are there lots of opportunities as home-based freelancers out there? Is it worth considering sitting for the PMP certification? Is there any online training available?
Thanks !

[Modifié le 2010-06-21 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Johannes Mueller
Johannes Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:32
Dutch to German
+ ...
Maybe Jun 22, 2010

I saw today one ad of a German agency looking for a freelance PM. It is not very common, but maybe you are lucky and find such a position...
J.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:32
Definitely Jun 24, 2010

I used to do it for a very good client and I looked after their Irish client base for a few years. A fantastic experience and it is no harm to broaden your skillset.

If you can demonstrate a certain amount of experience, you can certainly apply for the PMP. It is nice to have, but there are plenty of PMs who don't have it and it is no hindrance. I guess it depends on the type of clientele you want to attract for the PM side of your business.

[Edited at 2010-06-24 20:23 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
With Orla Jun 25, 2010

A couple of years ago a very good client from overseas asked me if I would like to be their PM. Honestly, I prefer translating. I was flattered, of course, however - analyzing files and such is not my cup of tea. It would have been the perfect constellation - so, do not hesitate to approach your own clients.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you grow tired of translation? Jun 25, 2010

Can you tell us about the reasons of this change of career? Every time I see a successful translator wanting to become an agency or PM after translating for a while, I wonder about the reasons. Can you share your main reasons with us?

Sorry if this is not quite the main topic of this forum!

[Edited at 2010-06-25 05:38 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it really off topic? I don't think so. Jun 25, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Can you tell us about the reasons of this change of career? Every time I see a successful translator wanting to become an agency or PM after translating for a while, I wonder about the reasons. Can you share your main reasons with us?

Being self-employed requires a ton of project management (and I am not talking about the regular administrative tasks), especially if you work for direct clients and if you are oursourcing yourself.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
my experience Jun 29, 2010

Hi Tomas,

Not sure if your question was meant for me, but yes I did get bored with translation I worked on a wide variety of projects and learnt so much, but if I had to translate another Government report that I just knew would never get read, I was going to crack up And I couldn't help noticing the increasing pressure on rates. I was fortunate to have a high-demand minority language pair, but try getting mortgage approval in Ireland as a freelance/self-employed person...impossible.

However, I had always intended to return to inhouse work after a few years, but with more relevant industry experience under my belt (I originally started out as a junior production coordinator in an agency). I still check out Proz forums to see what the "word on the street" is, which is important, although I wouldn't post as much as I used to.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Orla... Jun 29, 2010

...for sharing your experience.

Actually my question was to Sandrine. And is still unanswered I reckon...

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Value Jun 30, 2010

In the real world, management experience (seen as a leadership job) is valued higher than translation experience (seen as a secretarial job).
After all, a PM manages a budget of ....

[Edited at 2010-06-30 08:17 GMT]

Agnese Gorgolini
Agnese Gorgolini  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Would you be so kind to tell me something about PMP certification? Nov 19, 2010

Hi all,
I am currently working as a project manager and reading this thread I found out that a PMP certification exists... I've had a look on the web and probably I should apply for the CAPM, if I am not mistaking the PMP requires at least three years working experience.
I have an MA in Technical Translation and started working as a PM in October 2009 a few months after obtaining my university degree: as all translation project managers do, I deal with evaluating projects, assigning
... See more
Hi all,
I am currently working as a project manager and reading this thread I found out that a PMP certification exists... I've had a look on the web and probably I should apply for the CAPM, if I am not mistaking the PMP requires at least three years working experience.
I have an MA in Technical Translation and started working as a PM in October 2009 a few months after obtaining my university degree: as all translation project managers do, I deal with evaluating projects, assigning translations jobs, QA checks and terminology and TM management.
Do you think CAPM can be useful for my career? Has anyone taken the exam? Thank you for any advice you can give me, and thank you for all the things I'm learning as a silent reader of the fora here in Proz
Have a nice day!
Agnese
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming a freelance Project Manager - Possible?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »