Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The approx. fee of IoL Dip Trans exam...?
Thread poster: Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 6, 2004

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I did a search, but could not find it), but I'm sure there are many 'forum-ers' out there who could answer this off the top of their head - I'm just wondering what is the approximate fee range (it wasn't given on the IoL website or relevant brochure), as right now I'm contemplating whether to take a similar exam in my current country of residence, or the above-mentioned one later, perhaps; and cost is one of the most important factors, although n... See more
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I did a search, but could not find it), but I'm sure there are many 'forum-ers' out there who could answer this off the top of their head - I'm just wondering what is the approximate fee range (it wasn't given on the IoL website or relevant brochure), as right now I'm contemplating whether to take a similar exam in my current country of residence, or the above-mentioned one later, perhaps; and cost is one of the most important factors, although not the deciding one, of course. Would be thankful for the information!Collapse

suesimons
suesimons  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
Portuguese to English
Dip Trans IoL Exam fee Jan 6, 2004

Heli Kajander wrote:

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I did a search, but could not find it), but I'm sure there are many 'forum-ers' out there who could answer this off the top of their head - I'm just wondering what is the approximate fee range (it wasn't given on the IoL website or relevant brochure), as right now I'm contemplating whether to take a similar exam in my current country of residence, or the above-mentioned one later, perhaps; and cost is one of the most important factors, although not the deciding one, of course. Would be thankful for the information!

suesimons
suesimons  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
Exam fee Jan 6, 2004

It was about £200 but now could be more - the exam now is sat in January, no longer November.

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
£ 360 in 2004, £ 370 in 2005 Jan 6, 2004

See the IoL website: www.iol.org.uk

This contains details of the exam, fees etc. under Qualifications - Examinations

Ewa Nowicka
Ewa Nowicka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
the fee is horrendous Jan 6, 2004

well, in my opinion at least...
it is about L500 now, as far as I remember L470 for all three papers.
And yes, it is in January now.
I think you should be able to find all the details at the IOL website, follow the DipTrans link,
best wishes,
Eva

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you people! :) Jan 6, 2004

Yes, the fee does sound horrendous! (Maybe I'd better stick to my local exam after all, even though it's a less "prestigious" - meaning widely acknowledged - one...)

(John & Eva, I did read the appropriate brochure ("DipTrans handbook") on IoL website, as I mentioned in my question, but it only said "Details of the fees are published on a separate sheet, available from the Central Registration Department"...)

[Edited at 2004-01-06 19:42]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:07
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can be accepted as MIL with a 'local' exam instead of the Dip. Trans. Jan 7, 2004

As I already had a Danish qualification (the 'old' ED, roughly equivalent to the present ED2), I did not have to do the Dip. Trans., and was accepted for MIL status anyway.

You could ask the IoL for advice about which exams they accept.

Then you get the best of both worlds - good luck!

Christine A

Ewa Nowicka
Ewa Nowicka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
about the fees Jan 7, 2004

Heli Kajander wrote:

(John & Eva, I did read the appropriate brochure ("DipTrans handbook") on IoL website, as I mentioned in my question, but it only said "Details of the fees are published on a separate sheet, available from the Central Registration Department"...)

If I remember that well, all the details and latest regulations can be found in the DipTrans Handbook, you can download it from the website.
As for the fee, I hope it is a good investment, and hope to be lucky (good) enough to pass all three papers at one go)

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
You'll find the fees for all the IoL exams at: Jan 7, 2004

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams.asp and then download the Fees 2004/2005 document.

HTH

Heli Kajander wrote:

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Italian
+ ...
I did contact their Registration dept. Jan 7, 2004

I wanted to get a list of authorised centres in Italy.
Incidentally, only Rome is listed while I thought the British Council in Milan was one, too.
Anyway, I have the complete list of 2005 dates and fees.
If you like, I can send them to you as a pdf attachment.
Contact me at [email protected]

Good luck
Domenica

By the way, I regard this as an investment (given t
... See more
I wanted to get a list of authorised centres in Italy.
Incidentally, only Rome is listed while I thought the British Council in Milan was one, too.
Anyway, I have the complete list of 2005 dates and fees.
If you like, I can send them to you as a pdf attachment.
Contact me at [email protected]

Good luck
Domenica

By the way, I regard this as an investment (given the sum) and will try the exam next year.
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks once more for all the additional info! Jan 8, 2004

[quote]John Bowden wrote:

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams.asp and then download the Fees 2004/2005 document.

quote]
This must be a very recent addition, since it wasn't there when I last visited the site (or then I just overlooked it...):)

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Fee 2011 Jul 15, 2010

The fee for the DipTrans in 2011 is 506 quid (information supplied by DipTrans material) - a bit pricey in my opinion, makes me wonder if it is really worth it.

Note: quid means pounds, in case you're wondering.

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
500 GBP Jul 16, 2010

Yes, 506 GBP.

[Edited at 2010-07-16 01:55 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
And there's a catch... Jul 16, 2010

I have just been to the British Council here to find out more about the DipTrans and found that there is a catch.

The cost is not only the 506 pounds to IoL but also a 140-pound fee for the British Council (which includes a courier fee of 40 (!) pounds). Add together the lunch expenses (the restaurant inside the British Council is EXTREMELY expensive and if you go anywhere else you won't have time to eat - or miss the second unit) and transport expenses and you could be looking at t
... See more
I have just been to the British Council here to find out more about the DipTrans and found that there is a catch.

The cost is not only the 506 pounds to IoL but also a 140-pound fee for the British Council (which includes a courier fee of 40 (!) pounds). Add together the lunch expenses (the restaurant inside the British Council is EXTREMELY expensive and if you go anywhere else you won't have time to eat - or miss the second unit) and transport expenses and you could be looking at total costs of 700 pounds or so (although the 140 pounds does not have to be paid until the day of the exam)

This if you live in São Paulo. Another problem is that the British Council has slashed the number of offices here, so if you live in, say Brasília, you need to pay for the flight to São Paulo (the bus trip would not be advisable before a 7-hour exam) plus a hotel - so say 1,000 pounds in all. What a rip-off!
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jul 16, 2010

The British Council told me we have to pay them a few days before the exam. And still, they say they require express authorization by the IoL to let us use their computers, and the IoL simply does not reply to any of my emails about this.

Didn't that restaurant inside the British Council close? I suppose if we're gonna go through with this, we better pack our own lunch.

[Edited at 2010-07-16 21:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The approx. fee of IoL Dip Trans exam...?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »