Transmail : 1 email to 1800+ agencies ?
Thread poster: C.T.T.C.
C.T.T.C.
C.T.T.C.
English to Chinese
Mar 11, 2002

end quote

http://www.translatortips.com/tranmail.html

Anyone using this \"Tranmail Database\" ? It said it could help translators to find more clients by sending 1 email (resume or AD) to over 1,800 agencies at the same time (may be by c.c. or b.c.c.

Drop your opinions and let\'s share \'em. And who has had a list of agencies\' emails, copy-n-pa
... See more
end quote

http://www.translatortips.com/tranmail.html

Anyone using this \"Tranmail Database\" ? It said it could help translators to find more clients by sending 1 email (resume or AD) to over 1,800 agencies at the same time (may be by c.c. or b.c.c.

Drop your opinions and let\'s share \'em. And who has had a list of agencies\' emails, copy-n-paste here at your courtesy. Thank you.
Collapse

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
German to English
I bought his book Mar 11, 2002

Hello,

I have not purchased the database, so I cannot comment directly on that, but I have purchased his (believe his name is Alex James) book on how to be a successful translator. I thought the book was ok, but most of the information would be more for a beginning translator. I thought the marketing tips were good, but I wish there had been more of them.

Sorry I can\'t tell you more about the database. With the purchase of the book, you do get about 200 of those
... See more
Hello,

I have not purchased the database, so I cannot comment directly on that, but I have purchased his (believe his name is Alex James) book on how to be a successful translator. I thought the book was ok, but most of the information would be more for a beginning translator. I thought the marketing tips were good, but I wish there had been more of them.

Sorry I can\'t tell you more about the database. With the purchase of the book, you do get about 200 of those addresses. I did go through and email those that I felt would be relevant for me and so far I have not had much response (this was about 6 months ago). I sent individual emails, not a group one. And I have not received any direct work so far. This process takes a long time though so I am trying to be patient.

If you do try it, let us know how it works for you.

Good luck,

Sonya

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-11 19:04 ]
Collapse

Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TransMail Experience - Mixed Results Mar 11, 2002

I bought Alex Eames\' book and got the short list of agencies (about 200?) with it. Following his instructions for writing a short marketing e-mail, I sent it to mostly US and Canadian agences. I\'ve gotten about a 20% response rate, with about 1/2 of those asking me to complete forms or send them my resume. However, I haven\'t gotten any jobs out of this yet (It\'s been about 6 months). I have gotten work from companies listing jobs on the ATA website (atanet.org). I translate Spanish and ... See more
I bought Alex Eames\' book and got the short list of agencies (about 200?) with it. Following his instructions for writing a short marketing e-mail, I sent it to mostly US and Canadian agences. I\'ve gotten about a 20% response rate, with about 1/2 of those asking me to complete forms or send them my resume. However, I haven\'t gotten any jobs out of this yet (It\'s been about 6 months). I have gotten work from companies listing jobs on the ATA website (atanet.org). I translate Spanish and Portuguese to English. Good luck with this -- it may work very well for you.
[addsig]
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
I bought (and used) his database Mar 11, 2002

Hi:

I did buy Alex Ames\'s database of translation agencies. I did not buy his book, but I did follow some of the suggestions that came with the database. I forgot how much I paid for it (it included one free update) but I can tell you that I recovered the expense almost right away! I would guess that last year roughly 40% of my income was a result of the mailings I did with Alex\'s list! Having said that, a word of warning: Databases can be dangerous if you do not have a marketing str
... See more
Hi:

I did buy Alex Ames\'s database of translation agencies. I did not buy his book, but I did follow some of the suggestions that came with the database. I forgot how much I paid for it (it included one free update) but I can tell you that I recovered the expense almost right away! I would guess that last year roughly 40% of my income was a result of the mailings I did with Alex\'s list! Having said that, a word of warning: Databases can be dangerous if you do not have a marketing strategy. Just merely mailing 1800 people copies of you resume will not get you anywhere. Make sure you know what you\'re selling. Specify your competitive advantages (why choose you over the hundreds of resumes an agency receives each month). You have no idea how many resumes I get each week that come in with nothing but a blank e-mail message with the resume attached. I just erase them without even looking at them. After all, if the sender did not have the courtesy to write an opening note, why should I have the courtesy of reading his or her resume?

If you can afford it, and I think most anyone can, get the database, make sure you map out a plan to follow-up on the replies you get (they will be plenty, I can assure you) and have patience and perseverance, that\'s what direct mailing is all about.

One final word of advice: If you get replies asking to erase an e-mail address from you mailing list, make sure you do it right away. You certainly don\'t want to be accused of spaming!

Good luck with your efforts.

PS:

I\'m sure you mean well when you request that people paste their agencies list to the forum. But please remember that when you buy one of these mailing lists, you are buying copyrighted material for your own use only. If you give it away to others, you are not only breaking the law, but also hurting yourself in the end. After all, if the person that produces these lists does not earn a decent return from his or her efforts, why continue? Anyway, that\'s just my two pesos worth.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-11 19:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-11 19:46 ]
Collapse

Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Well worth it Mar 12, 2002

I also have nothing but good things to say about Eames\'s list and book. In addition to working (I also started getting work pretty much immediately), the guy just stresses work ethic, professionalism, etc... -- not at all a \"get rich quick\" type of book at all.

Very inspiring, effective and worth the money. Directly marketing yourself without his list is also worth the trouble, but is a lot more time consuming.

Eames is often denigrated by people who
... See more
I also have nothing but good things to say about Eames\'s list and book. In addition to working (I also started getting work pretty much immediately), the guy just stresses work ethic, professionalism, etc... -- not at all a \"get rich quick\" type of book at all.

Very inspiring, effective and worth the money. Directly marketing yourself without his list is also worth the trouble, but is a lot more time consuming.

Eames is often denigrated by people who have not read the book. For some the book is preaching to the choir, but in that case it may serve as a readable summary of what they believe in anyway.

I agree with the last post that you need to have a marketing strategy; you also don\'t want to mass e-mail or you will get complaints; you need to make your offers specific and not write the same message to 1800 agencies.

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
it is 'Alex Eames' Mar 12, 2002

This question has come up in the past, and the conclusion seems to have been that if you are going to market yourself to agencies with mailings, buying a database will save you time.

Alex is responsive and professional, and I understand that among lists of agencies, his has been kept most up-to-date.

I have also seen several people, like Ricardo, who report having found new clients as a result of using Alex\'s list.

Fabio Paracchini (X)
Fabio Paracchini (X)
Local time: 03:52
English to Italian
+ ...
it's worth your money Mar 12, 2002

hi. i just wanted to let you know that i purchased alex eames\'s transmail database and in a few months i got quite a few new clients. just remember that if you send out 1800+ cvs, you\'ll get a lot of responses (\"please send me more info\", \"please do this test\", \"please stay out of my mailbox\": be prepared to follow up quickly and accurately, if you want transmail to be effective.

bye

fabio

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Marketing strategy Mar 15, 2002

Well, I just bought and downloaded Alex Eames\' book yesterday evening, along with the list of 227 agencies beginning with a number or the letter \"A\". I don\'t anticipate needing the full Tranmail list for quite a while yet. What I\'m going to do is send 6 quite personal e-mails every week (no more) consistently, and also keep track of the replies and results very carefully. It is extremely easy (as I know from the office where I work full-time) to lose track of who is owed a reply, etc.... See more
Well, I just bought and downloaded Alex Eames\' book yesterday evening, along with the list of 227 agencies beginning with a number or the letter \"A\". I don\'t anticipate needing the full Tranmail list for quite a while yet. What I\'m going to do is send 6 quite personal e-mails every week (no more) consistently, and also keep track of the replies and results very carefully. It is extremely easy (as I know from the office where I work full-time) to lose track of who is owed a reply, etc.

I will inform you again on this board of what happens, but I really believe that, with a carefully written c.v., the right approach, etc., it should be possible to get 4 out of each 6 to reply.
Collapse

C.T.T.C.
C.T.T.C.
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate all comments here ! Mar 16, 2002

I appreciate all comments from you all and I wish to share my self-compile (6 hours) email list (over 100 U.K. translation agencies) recently as CSV (comma separated value) file here. Please download using the URL as following and \"import\" into Microsoft Outlook or similar program : \"http://cttc.port5.com/list/agencies.zip\" Please attach more links here, and I will try my best to compile \'em into email-lists and let\'s download all of \'em, for FREE !

shannonyu
shannonyu
United States
Local time: 18:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
First job Mar 23, 2002

This topic has been very imformative to me. I\'ve been trying to break into this field but not successful. If I have not done any translation work, what do I put on my resume? How do I sell myself?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transmail : 1 email to 1800+ agencies ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »