Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:04
Member (2009)
Dutch to Luxembourgish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2010

Hi,

I would just like to know if it is allowed to state large well known companies you did a translation for on your site, even if you got the translation from a translation agency?

Example in the past I did some huge technical projects from a well known company starting with 'M' but got these translations from an agency. Can I still go and add M... to my list of companies I translated for as a reference c
... See more
Hi,

I would just like to know if it is allowed to state large well known companies you did a translation for on your site, even if you got the translation from a translation agency?

Example in the past I did some huge technical projects from a well known company starting with 'M' but got these translations from an agency. Can I still go and add M... to my list of companies I translated for as a reference company, because legally the translated version has my copyright (as a translator) besides the copyright of M...

[Bearbeitet am 2010-03-19 08:14 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-03-19 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wonder about it as well! Mar 19, 2010

I have wondered about the same thing for a long time. Currently my team's website does not contain reference to these world-class companies, even if we translate materials for them on a daily basis... mostly via agencies.

However, when asked about my experience in a field in the context of a negotiation with a prospect, I do mention that I "translate materials for" the companies --not that I "translate for" the companies-- as a way of giving examples, with no mention to the agency.
... See more
I have wondered about the same thing for a long time. Currently my team's website does not contain reference to these world-class companies, even if we translate materials for them on a daily basis... mostly via agencies.

However, when asked about my experience in a field in the context of a negotiation with a prospect, I do mention that I "translate materials for" the companies --not that I "translate for" the companies-- as a way of giving examples, with no mention to the agency. It helps me prove that I am a good candidate, but I have never considered it to be a legal representation of any direct relationship with the world-class companies.

It will be interesting to know what others think about this.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Reference companies Mar 19, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

However, when asked about my experience in a field in the context of a negotiation with a prospect, I do mention that I "translate materials for" the companies --not that I "translate for" the companies-- as a way of giving examples, with no mention to the agency. It helps me prove that I am a good candidate, but I have never considered it to be a legal representation of any direct relationship with the world-class companies.

It will be interesting to know what others think about this.

I have worked for some reference companies directly as trough translation agencies. And my experience asking them to put his name (specially with a link to his homepage) as reference has been always been quite positive.

Until it comes to put his logo near his name (I believe some enterprises are more know by his log as by his name), even if it is linked to his homepage trough a little icon or logo, my friend, this is another issue... a buen entendedor, pocas palabras bastan...

[Editado a las 2010-03-19 09:58 GMT]

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
transfer of rights Mar 19, 2010

Pascal Zotto wrote:

because legally the translated version has my copyright (as a translator) besides the copyright of M...

Are you sure about that? Just wondering, because in Spain, as far as I know, copyright is transferred if VAT is charged. If I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will correct me:-)

Pascal Zotto
Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Luxembourgish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes copyright always belongs to translator Mar 19, 2010

I just asked legal department of the Austrian chamber of commerce about it. They told me that best would always be to make sure by written, when accepting the job that the end client gets to know the name of the translator and then there are no problems at all about posting the reference on one's site.

But nevertheless even if the end client does not know about the translator. The translation rights always remain at the translator's, except if anything else was agreed in written whe
... See more
I just asked legal department of the Austrian chamber of commerce about it. They told me that best would always be to make sure by written, when accepting the job that the end client gets to know the name of the translator and then there are no problems at all about posting the reference on one's site.

But nevertheless even if the end client does not know about the translator. The translation rights always remain at the translator's, except if anything else was agreed in written when the job was forwarded to and this has been accepted by the translator.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-03-19 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to German
I paraphrase Mar 19, 2010

I also work on translation projects for big name companies through translation companies but if you look at my project history (or CV) you'll find that I'm paraphrasing when referring to the end client, e.g. "leading provider of".

Some of the translation companies have asked me not to identify the end client and product, even though they might have a list of customers on their website. But if I want them to endorse projects or add a WWA entry, I'm willing to comply even if I'm not t
... See more
I also work on translation projects for big name companies through translation companies but if you look at my project history (or CV) you'll find that I'm paraphrasing when referring to the end client, e.g. "leading provider of".

Some of the translation companies have asked me not to identify the end client and product, even though they might have a list of customers on their website. But if I want them to endorse projects or add a WWA entry, I'm willing to comply even if I'm not too sure what the coyness is all about.

Also I'm usually bound by a NDA. While that might only cover the time of a work in progress, i.e. before it's market launch, I tend to err on the safe side.

If a translation company asks me if I have experience in translating products of a particular company, I don't beat about the bush, particularly if it refers to work I've done in the past.

The whole copyright aside is interesting as most of the work I deliver is actually reviewed and as a consequence often changed by an internal or external (another freelancer) of the translation company.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reference companies

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »