How soon after working with a client do you request WWA entries?
Thread poster: Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:19
Spanish to English
Mar 5, 2010

Hi,

I was wondering what other people did. How soon do you request WWA entries after working with a new client? Do you wait until you have completed a few jobs and been paid for them, or request them immediately after completing work? How many of your clients have actually responded and made an entry?

Also, what type of projects do you enter in project history? Do you put in larger projects only or a selection of different types of projects? Again, how successful have y
... See more
Hi,

I was wondering what other people did. How soon do you request WWA entries after working with a new client? Do you wait until you have completed a few jobs and been paid for them, or request them immediately after completing work? How many of your clients have actually responded and made an entry?

Also, what type of projects do you enter in project history? Do you put in larger projects only or a selection of different types of projects? Again, how successful have you been with having these confirmed by the client?

I don't have any direct clients, only agencies and also wondered if this made a difference, are direct clients more likely to respond to WWA requests than agencies, or vice versa?

Thanks.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't Mar 5, 2010

Lucy Williams wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering what other people did. How soon do you request WWA entries after working with a new client?

I don't ask for them, because I think I might annoy them and might seem "pushy". I leave it up to them and occasionally, they do give me a WWA.

So far I have 9

[Edited at 2010-03-05 09:58 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
How soon after working with a client do you request WWA entries? Mar 5, 2010

Lucy Williams wrote:

Hi,

Also, what type of projects do you enter in project history? Do you put in larger projects only or a selection of different types of projects? Again, how successful have you been with having these confirmed by the client?

I don't have any direct clients, only agencies and also wondered if this made a difference, are direct clients more likely to respond to WWA requests than agencies, or vice versa?

Thanks.

I do not ask. Nevertheles, I guess it is a good idea to send a quality evaluation sheet to your client (together to the translated documents) asking him for feedback. If this feedback is 100% positive, I believe you can ask him fo a WWA inmedately.

If you do not receive any feedback (or a negative one) , you have an excuse to call him, and to find out what has gone the wrong way, as well as to let him know that you worry on his needs.

[Editado a las 2010-03-05 10:14 GMT]

Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not asking Mar 5, 2010

Thanks. I was also wondering how many agencies/clients will provide them without being asked and whether asking might seem pushy or was the done thing. Of course when you see a profile with WWA entries you don't know if the translator requested them or they were provided unsolicited.
I think for the time being I'll probably not ask directly.
Do you have to have the WWA box visible on your profile to be able to receive them?

Thanks

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have never asked Mar 5, 2010

Answers to your questions (I was just taking a 5-minute break):

- I have never asked for a WWA.

- I think I have it visible.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:19
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I have never asked for any. Mar 5, 2010

Lucy Williams wrote:

Thanks. I was also wondering how many agencies/clients will provide them without being asked and whether asking might seem pushy or was the done thing. Of course when you see a profile with WWA entries you don't know if the translator requested them or they were provided unsolicited.
I think for the time being I'll probably not ask directly.
Do you have to have the WWA box visible on your profile to be able to receive them?

Thanks

And I would never think of asking for one.

Also, I will never make a nice BB entry before at least one year of regular cooperation has gone by or before I have made a pre-set significant amount of money with this client.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A few jobs Mar 5, 2010

Lucy Williams wrote:
How soon do you request WWA entries after working with a new client? Do you wait until you have completed a few jobs and been paid for them, or request them immediately after completing work?

I don't ask (or: I haven't asked before). But if the client has a profile page with ProZ.com, it is likely that he is familiar with the WWA system, and he will not take offense if you ask him for a WWA entry. To improve your chances of getting a good entry (or getting an entry at all), wait until you've done a few jobs for the client before asking him.

I've had clients ask me to add Blue Board entries for them, so I don't see why translators can't do the same.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:19
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
So annoying... Mar 5, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
I've had clients ask me to add Blue Board entries for them

I had such requests, too, but I don't do it. So - after one joblet - you are supposed to confirm that they indeed outsourced a job to you AND that they are capable of writing a check which made you happy and a lucky man. Amazing task!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:19
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Never asked Mar 5, 2010

I actually have no idea how my clients know about this feature. Yet I have 15 entries and, naturally, I keep my WWA visible on my profile.

I guess I would occasionally ask a regular client to insert a WWA, if I could provide a direct link for them to do this.

Altogether, I like this WWA thing. When new clients ask for references, I just refer them to my WWAs.

Dinny

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree - Don't ask them Mar 5, 2010

Tom in London wrote:
I don't ask for them, because I think I might annoy them and might seem "pushy". I leave it up to them and occasionally, they do give me a WWA.

Exactly. Asking them for entries after a couple of projects sounds like a bit pedantic to me. It's a lot better if they add WWA when they deem to be best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How soon after working with a client do you request WWA entries?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »