Working in Brazil
Thread poster: Louise Bongiovanni
Louise Bongiovanni
Louise Bongiovanni
Local time: 04:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2010

My question is about working in Brazil. What is the job market like for translation and interpreting in Brazil? I am just starting out as a translator/interpreter and would really like to move to Brazil, but my worry is that I would not find enough work, or that it would not be well-paid enough to survive/get back to England for holidays. What is your opinion?
Also is most of the work you get PortugueseEnglish?

Do many people work for companies in Europe/USA at the same time?
... See more
My question is about working in Brazil. What is the job market like for translation and interpreting in Brazil? I am just starting out as a translator/interpreter and would really like to move to Brazil, but my worry is that I would not find enough work, or that it would not be well-paid enough to survive/get back to England for holidays. What is your opinion?
Also is most of the work you get PortugueseEnglish?

Do many people work for companies in Europe/USA at the same time?

Then as for where to locate, which city is best? I'm guessing Sao Paulo...

Many thanks for your help!

Louise
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Life and Translation in Brazil Feb 17, 2010

Dear Louise,

I have just read your post about your intention to move to Brazil and would like to provide some information.

1. The job market for translations is quite busy but saturated, as anyone with more than a basic knowledge of a language thinks they can translate. As a result, rates are extremely low compared to Europe or the United States. If you work for an agency it should not be a problem, as they have quality checks when hiring translators, but with private c
... See more
Dear Louise,

I have just read your post about your intention to move to Brazil and would like to provide some information.

1. The job market for translations is quite busy but saturated, as anyone with more than a basic knowledge of a language thinks they can translate. As a result, rates are extremely low compared to Europe or the United States. If you work for an agency it should not be a problem, as they have quality checks when hiring translators, but with private clients a lot of them just go for the cheapest. You may get enough to survive but not to keep travelling to the UK for holidays. However, this is not a problem as Brazil has something for all tastes, from the excitement of Carnival to the expanse of the Amazon Rainforest and the quiet life in the interior of Rio Grande do Sul where Italian presence is strong.

2. As for where to live, it's all a matter of personal taste. São Paulo is obviously most people's first choice but be prepared - it's a mammoth of a city with almost 15 million people - more than the entire population of some European countries. Traffic is hectic and the crime rate is high. The pollution is also a major problem. I live in São Paulo and sometimes take two hours by bus to get to outlying suburbs. Do you plan to explore one particular market? If you plan to explore the petroleum industry, for example, Macaé or Campos dos Goytacazes in Rio could be a good idea. The weather is another consideration: if you like sun-soaked beaches and baking heat, go to a coastal city in the Northeast (although the translation market is smaller and there is no Italian presence). For cooler climes, the South of Brazil.

3. As you would expect, work is predominantly PTEN. However, there are some Italian, German and French companies established here.

4. Don't expect all the convenience equipment that is present in Europe, such as electric ovens/kettles. Similarly, convenience food of the "just add an egg" type is hard to find.

5. Prices tend to be cheaper than in Europe, but still expensive when you consider that the minimum salary is less than 200 Euros a month. Housing is expensive, as also is health insurance - a necessity here, as the TV news programmes always show the terrible condition of Government hospitals.

4. I'm not aware of immigration laws but this needs checking out. The Brazilian Embassy in London may be able to help.

I hope this helps.

PAUL
Collapse

Lincoln Silveira (X)
Lincoln Silveira (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I beg to disagree ... Feb 17, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

... explore one particular market? If you plan to explore the petroleum industry, for example, Macaé or Campos dos Goytacazes in Rio could be a good idea. The weather is another consideration: if you like sun-soaked beaches and baking heat, go to a coastal city in the Northeast (although the translation market is smaller and there is no Italian presence). For cooler climes, the South of Brazil.

Paul, Louise,

Let me throw a comment or two here.

Paul is dead right about the oil industry. I would stick to Rio de Janeiro if looking to establish myself in this industry (although I work in it from Fortaleza, but I have some good connections), because there is where the mighty Petrobras and the myriad of contractors and suppliers are located.

Macaé isn't particularly a nice place to stay, unless you're a roughneck (meaning, someone who works on an oil rig).

Paul, I beg to disagree as to the lack of Italian presence in the Northeast. It is quite the very opposite, actually. I live in Fortaleza and there are many Europeans of Latin descent (and even Eastern), particularly ITALIANS. Dutch and Scandinavians are also common. And I haven't touched João Pessoa, Natal, etc. Usually the quality of life is better up here, but some amenities are scarcer and, as Paul rightly said, the market is smaller.

Coming to Brazil isn't much difficult. So far we have but a handful of visa options that you can look into. I don't have much information right now, but a visit to the Embassy or the site of Ministério da Justiça could help in this regards.

HIH

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
Seven years in Brazil Feb 17, 2010

Hi Louise,

I moved to Brazil in 2003 after falling in love with the country during a backpacking trip, and have been here for almost seven years.

I live in Vitória, capital of Espírito Santo, a small state immediately north of Rio de Janeiro.
Initially I started teaching English at Cultura Inglesa, probably one of the best chains of English Schools in Brazil.

During this time I was increasingly asked to do small translations for people doing Master
... See more
Hi Louise,

I moved to Brazil in 2003 after falling in love with the country during a backpacking trip, and have been here for almost seven years.

I live in Vitória, capital of Espírito Santo, a small state immediately north of Rio de Janeiro.
Initially I started teaching English at Cultura Inglesa, probably one of the best chains of English Schools in Brazil.

During this time I was increasingly asked to do small translations for people doing Master's and PHDs, then I got involved in the Marble and Granite industry, providing language solutions for the many companies in the state, interpreting at trade fairs, etc.

As time went on I made more contacts and began providing services to agencies, at which time I left the teaching world and became a full-time translator.

Here in Vitória/Espírito Santo there is a lot of industrial activity as we have ArcelorMittal, a worldwide steelmaking group; Vale, another enormous group which mines and produces iron ore for export; Samarco Mineração, also a significant iron-ore pelleting operation; Aracruz Celulose/Votorantim, one of the world's biggest paper and pulp producers and exporters.

This "big four" has provided the staple of my work over the last three-four years - there are many other opportunities such as state-owned Petrobras, increasing their presence here as more oil and gas discoveries have been made in the state's offshore area recently.

Basically, Espírito Santo and in particular Vitória is a promising base; business tourism is on the up, the port complex is significant and set to expand, and this in turn is bringing a lot of activity in logistics, transport and shipping, infrastructure development, construction, etc.

I agree with Paul when he says that there are many here who think they can translate but can't, and even some of the bigger companies pay a pittance for poor-quality work. I won't quote particular publications/websites here but there are many. I would also say that São Paulo is the national reference for our activity, Rio is quite strong and also Belo Horizonte in the interior state of Minas Gerais - bordering with all three states - due to heavy mining activity in that region.

As far as Espírito Santo goes, there's still a long way to go before we achieve a professional translation culture - for example I often get asked to do 3 days straight in a simultaneous interpretation cabin alone, because they don't want to pay two people and don't understand what that kind of work entails, or a company will end up getting someone's cousin's friend to do a very poor translation for the price of a couple of beers.
That having been said, the state economy is growing at a rate above the national average, I've just recently sat the UK CIOL Diploma in Translation exam (at the British Council in SP) and opened my translation company here, and am now in the process of establishing more contacts, sometimes a laborious task in Brazil due to the strong "word-of-mouth" culture.
I have worked in São Paulo, Rio and Belo Horizonte, but would not want to live in any of them - no patience for all that traffic - Vitória is still relatively quiet for a state capital, with some great beaches (some are polluted due to all this industry but if you drive a few KM you're ok) and mountains nearby where there are communities of German/Italian/Pomeranian immigrant descendants.

A move from UK to Brazil will always involve adjustment to different culure, mentality, different values regarding timekeeping, payment deadlines, etc, and I'm still adjusting but getting less frustrated as time goes on! I'm glad I made the move; it's an education - an interesting one!

ProZ has been excellent for me during those times when work is slack here - I've always managed to keep things ticking over through jobs I've taken on from the site - I maintain a UK bank account and PayPal so have been able to receive decent payments from international companies. Also, as a qualified teacher I find no shortage of corporate immersion courses, people willing to pay well for private classes, and sometimes, when time permits, I do this to keep my hand in and get away from the keyboard for a while - after all, as linguists, we can never stop learning and I find this contact invigorating.

Anyway, that's just a brief summary of things as they are for me - don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any more detailed questions, and whatever you decide - good luck!

Mark

[Edited at 2010-02-17 15:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-17 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

jaymin
jaymin
Canada
Local time: 23:51
German to Korean
+ ...
good information Feb 17, 2010

thanks for this one..

Louise Bongiovanni
Louise Bongiovanni
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2010

Hello all and thank you for your very helpful advice. At the moment it is all a bit of a dream and lots of people I've talked to have tried to put me off. So I wanted to see from people who are actually doing it if the dream is at all realistic!

I have a lot of friends in Belo Horizonte so that would probably be my first port of call, or Rio, but I am starting to realise that there is the one major issue of a working visa which I would have to consider first!

My mother
... See more
Hello all and thank you for your very helpful advice. At the moment it is all a bit of a dream and lots of people I've talked to have tried to put me off. So I wanted to see from people who are actually doing it if the dream is at all realistic!

I have a lot of friends in Belo Horizonte so that would probably be my first port of call, or Rio, but I am starting to realise that there is the one major issue of a working visa which I would have to consider first!

My mother tongue is actually English and I've taught it before, so I'd probably start off with that too like Mark.

As I'm just starting to build up my contacts I think it might be a good idea to build up some contacts here in Europe first before moving over...

lots to think about...
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brazil Feb 18, 2010

Dear Louise,

You mention that some people have been trying to put you off - on what grounds? Sure, Brazil is not like the UK in many ways (no good ol' steak and kidney pie or fish and chips, for example) but is not that bad. Corruption is rife, as in many emerging countries, and although crime is high a lot of it is in outlying and poorer districts. If you decide on São Paulo, I can tell you which districts to avoid, which are too expensive to live in and which are about right. Bel
... See more
Dear Louise,

You mention that some people have been trying to put you off - on what grounds? Sure, Brazil is not like the UK in many ways (no good ol' steak and kidney pie or fish and chips, for example) but is not that bad. Corruption is rife, as in many emerging countries, and although crime is high a lot of it is in outlying and poorer districts. If you decide on São Paulo, I can tell you which districts to avoid, which are too expensive to live in and which are about right. Belo Horizonte is much smaller but still big enough to make a living - FIAT have a plant nearby which could be good as you offer Italian. Also, as you are Italian, you may be interested to know that "in San Paolo, c'é un quartiere dove se puó mangiare bene - se chiama Bixiga". (For non-Italian speakers, I am saying that you can eat well in the Bixiga neighbourhood in São Paulo)

You mention getting contacts in Europe first - does this mean you plan to concentrate on Europe first and only then move to Brazil?

PowWows are quite frequent in Brazil and this could be an opportunity to meet some colleagues, I usually attend if the location is within 100km of São Paulo.
Collapse

Louise Bongiovanni
Louise Bongiovanni
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being put off Brazil Feb 19, 2010

Hi Paul,

Mainly because of the money, not having enough to come home etc. But I've now realised that it would be nigh on impossible as I don't have a residence or working visa....

I was thinking of concentrating on Europe first then moving to Brazil afterwards, just so I could make sure I have some clients before I go!

But it does seem like there is a fair amount of work in Brazil, so maybe my dream isn't so unrealistic...

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Visa Information Feb 21, 2010

Dear Louise,

Regarding visas, I have some information for you.

"Visas

UK passport holders do not require a visa to enter Brazil. However, passports must be valid for at least six months and a return ticket and proof of sufficient funds may be requested on arrival. Tourists will be admitted for a stay of up to 90 days which is extendable, at the discretion of the Federal Police, for a further 90 days. Tourists are not allowed to work.

For work v
... See more
Dear Louise,

Regarding visas, I have some information for you.

"Visas

UK passport holders do not require a visa to enter Brazil. However, passports must be valid for at least six months and a return ticket and proof of sufficient funds may be requested on arrival. Tourists will be admitted for a stay of up to 90 days which is extendable, at the discretion of the Federal Police, for a further 90 days. Tourists are not allowed to work.

For work visas or any other visa information, please contact:

Consulate-General of Brazil in London
3 Vere Street
London W1G 0DH
T : 020 76591550 020 76591550
F : 020 76591554
[email protected]"

I hope this helps and boa sorte (good luck)!

PAUL
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Louise Mar 4, 2010

I help people moving to Brazil with documents, bureacracy, rent etc.
I can offer you free advice, please send me an email.
I have lived in Sao Paulo most of my life, my husband is British and now leaves there with me. If you are planing to teach English I also have some good advice and contacts, please send me an email.

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Regarding visa Mar 4, 2010

You can only get a valid working visa under a contract job, which teaching is probably not going to provide you. You will still be able to work, but it is freelance and unfortunately they wont sort out a working visa for you. There is a lot of work available for teachers if you are prepared to be in constant movement going around places to teach in offices, you can accept as much work as you can get, with no bounding contracts, and the pay will be reasonable. However, without a residence or work... See more
You can only get a valid working visa under a contract job, which teaching is probably not going to provide you. You will still be able to work, but it is freelance and unfortunately they wont sort out a working visa for you. There is a lot of work available for teachers if you are prepared to be in constant movement going around places to teach in offices, you can accept as much work as you can get, with no bounding contracts, and the pay will be reasonable. However, without a residence or working visa you will not be able to rent an apartment under your name, or even open a bank account. It will help if you have experience teaching English, a CELTA or TOFEL qualification.

[Edited at 2010-03-04 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working in Brazil

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »