Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do I need to be certified to work in Canada?
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:22
English to French
+ ...
Feb 15, 2010

Hello,

I've been thinking of immigration to Québec and I was wondering if there is a need for a certification to work over there...

In other words, I graduated as an Engineer, but I'm not certified translator nor do I have a translation degree can I work as an independant in Québec if I go there the way it is done in Spain or in France ?

Thanks for your help and advise.

Best regards,

MoH

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:22
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Not necessarily Feb 15, 2010

You don't need to be certified to work as a translator. You need to be certified by means of an exam and membership in the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (www.ottiaq.org) in order to be called a "Certified Translator" or to work directly for either the provincial or the federal governments, and some companies and institutions.

[Edited at 2010-02-15 18:16 GMT]

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ordre des traducteurs du Québec Feb 15, 2010

Hello,

Actually that's what I was worried about !

What do I exactly need to do to provide translations to clients all over the world legally ?

Best regards,

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 21:22
French to English
Have you considered Feb 15, 2010

a non-translation career, with the federal government. You're trilingual (a distinct advantage) and your résumé is impressive. Have you looked at
http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/index-eng.htm

Click on Search for Jobs under Job Opportunities on the left hand side, which takes you to <
... See more
a non-translation career, with the federal government. You're trilingual (a distinct advantage) and your résumé is impressive. Have you looked at
http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/index-eng.htm

Click on Search for Jobs under Job Opportunities on the left hand side, which takes you to http://jest-orae.psc-cfp.gc.ca/JEST-ORAE/qcksrch.do?lang=en,
just enter Quebec as the province (or any other province) (don't enter anything in type of job) and get an idea of what is available (telecom technician, for example).
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Paula Feb 15, 2010

Actually I'm thinking about immigration as an Engineer (Skilled worker) however it's not bad to know all of the option I may have and translation can be a handy one in the transition period so that my level of life doesn't drop if worse comes to worst...I'll take a look at the reference you gave me...

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Depends on the client Feb 15, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

What do I exactly need to do to provide translations to clients all over the world legally ?

There is no special requirement if you are providing translation for anyone that does not require the "Certified Translator" designation or OTTIAQ membership.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks John Feb 15, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

There is no special requirement if you are providing translation for anyone that does not require the "Certified Translator" designation or OTTIAQ membership.

Actually I was asking if I needed to make any declaration and what was the procedure to do in order to be able to work for the relations I already made...

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Visas Feb 15, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Actually I was asking if I needed to make any declaration and what was the procedure to do in order to be able to work for the relations I already made...

Nothing in particular as far as translating for established clients is concerned. You may need to register for tax purposes if you are selling to Quebec or Canadian clients. You will, of course, need the appropriate visas, but since you referred to the Skilled Worker class, I assume you already know about that. If not, visit the Immigration Quebec website at http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/index.html . I assume you realize that Québec is semi-autonomous with regards to immigration - you have to apply to both the Québec and Canadian governments. The website above has all details.

[Edited at 2010-02-15 19:01 GMT]

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visas Feb 15, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Nothing in particular as far as translating for established clients is concerned. You may need to register for tax purposes if you are selling to Quebec or Canadian clients. You will, of course, need the appropriate visas, but since you referred to the Skilled Worker class, I assume you already know about that. If not, visit the Immigration Quebec website at http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/index.html . I assume you realize that Québec is semi-autonomous with regards to immigration - you have to apply to both the Québec and Canadian governments. The website above has all details.

[Edited at 2010-02-15 19:01 GMT]

I already know that thanks a lot...the only dark spot was to know about the registration and the costs implied by that...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Is this a joke? Feb 15, 2010

It makes me think of a notice hanging on a wall

"You don't need to be certified to work in Canada, but it helps"

Pardon my frivolity. It's the end of a busy Monday

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nice one ! Feb 15, 2010

nice one Tom

lcstranslations
lcstranslations  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:22
Member (2010)
Italian to English
canada Feb 16, 2010

Immigration to Canada is not easy.

I am a Canadian and to bring my husband over, who is Italian, I would have to co-sponsor him with my parents.

there is also a process of checking validity of degrees (unfortunately many come to Canada with fake or bought degrees making it harder for honest people). To come as a skilled worker you do need the right papers and certificates.

I also have a cousin who married a Brazilian man, he had his place of work offer spo
... See more
Immigration to Canada is not easy.

I am a Canadian and to bring my husband over, who is Italian, I would have to co-sponsor him with my parents.

there is also a process of checking validity of degrees (unfortunately many come to Canada with fake or bought degrees making it harder for honest people). To come as a skilled worker you do need the right papers and certificates.

I also have a cousin who married a Brazilian man, he had his place of work offer sponsorship and letter of employment but he was sent back all the same and had to wait over a year for admission.

make sure you speak to the right people and find out what you really need and what your real possibilities are.

All the best!
Collapse

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Quebec Feb 16, 2010

It does take about a year to get a visa, and there is a process to go through. Its somewhat easier to get into Quebec rather than other provinces, since the Quebec government does the selection - the Canadian government only gets involved for medical and police checks. The Quebec offices abroad are generally very helpful - much more personal service than the federal offices. The federal offices generally don't let you speak to an individual, whereas with the Quebec offices you can generally w... See more
It does take about a year to get a visa, and there is a process to go through. Its somewhat easier to get into Quebec rather than other provinces, since the Quebec government does the selection - the Canadian government only gets involved for medical and police checks. The Quebec offices abroad are generally very helpful - much more personal service than the federal offices. The federal offices generally don't let you speak to an individual, whereas with the Quebec offices you can generally work with a contact person.

I've brought relatives into Quebec and while we did have to go through the sponsoring process you mention, it wasn't particularly difficult. The main thing is to use the website to find out what all the rules are and comply with them. Not much is left to the immigration officer's discretion, you pretty much comply with the rules or you don't. But I think we're wandering a bit off topic.
Collapse

Hélène Curtis
Hélène Curtis  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
Canada Feb 16, 2010

Hi Mohamed,

I recognized your name from Kudoz. I don't normally participate in forums but...seems like no one is answering your question. You do not need to be certified to work in Canada as a translator. Anybody who has a desire to translate and wishes to set up a business can do so without even so much as a high school diploma...no kidding. The thing is, you will probably not get a lot of business as people look at credentials before deciding whether or not they wish to use your s
... See more
Hi Mohamed,

I recognized your name from Kudoz. I don't normally participate in forums but...seems like no one is answering your question. You do not need to be certified to work in Canada as a translator. Anybody who has a desire to translate and wishes to set up a business can do so without even so much as a high school diploma...no kidding. The thing is, you will probably not get a lot of business as people look at credentials before deciding whether or not they wish to use your service. If on the other hand you already have established clients...no worries. The answer is definitely YES...you can set up shop here in Canada once you are established.

Hope this helps!

Hélène

P.-S. to work as an engineer...different matter....:)
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hélène Feb 16, 2010

Hélène Curtis wrote:

Hi Mohamed,

I recognized your name from Kudoz. I don't normally participate in forums but...seems like no one is answering your question. You do not need to be certified to work in Canada as a translator. Anybody who has a desire to translate and wishes to set up a business can do so without even so much as a high school diploma...no kidding. The thing is, you will probably not get a lot of business as people look at credentials before deciding whether or not they wish to use your service. If on the other hand you already have established clients...no worries. The answer is definitely YES...you can set up shop here in Canada once you are established.

Hope this helps!

Hélène

P.-S. to work as an engineer...different matter....:)

Actually, I wanted to know if one could work with an existing portfolio without a certificate...Thanks a lot for your answer

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to be certified to work in Canada?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »