sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2010

Hello,
Some of my classmates and I are wondering about working as freelance translators/interpreters in the EU, and visa requirements, for residing in France.

I know that you can set up your own business and get an URSSAF/Siret number, and even a residence permit as an "auto-entrepreneur" in France if you are a non-EU citizen.

But generally this permit is to work in France, and not other Schengen countries. What happens if you have a French visa/residence permit
... See more
Hello,
Some of my classmates and I are wondering about working as freelance translators/interpreters in the EU, and visa requirements, for residing in France.

I know that you can set up your own business and get an URSSAF/Siret number, and even a residence permit as an "auto-entrepreneur" in France if you are a non-EU citizen.

But generally this permit is to work in France, and not other Schengen countries. What happens if you have a French visa/residence permit and, for example, a Belgian company wants to hire you for a conference in Belgium? Or a German agency hires you for a conference being held in Switzerland or Turkey?

Is it enough to send the invoice with a French URSSAF, so that tax and immigration authorities consider it as something under your French work permit?
Collapse

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No problem Feb 15, 2010

Hi,

When you register as a freelancer (in France or anywhere in the EU), you are operating as a business, not working as an employee. This means your clients can be based anywhere in the world and that you will pay your taxes in France because your business is registered there.

Good luck!

sonjaswenson (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 15, 2010

Thank you very much. Such a simple answer, and yet noone was able to give it to us! This is good to hear.

Sonja

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:18
English to French
+ ...
check your situation with the French authorities Feb 15, 2010

Are you from a EU country ? Are you a student ?

If you are in France as a student with a visa or a residence permit you must check that your visa does allow you to work, even as a freelancer. There might be some restriction.

Check with the police authorities (préfecture).

[Edited at 2010-02-15 16:30 GMT]

sonjaswenson (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visas Feb 15, 2010

Without getting into too many details, you can work on a student visa and many other residence permits in France. You can also freelance, and set up your own legal business, also while on a student visa. You just have to register with the prefecture and the bank. It takes a few weeks and some paperwork, though.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Strassbourg-Kehl Feb 16, 2010

Travelling within the Schengen-zone is like travelling from one US-state to another.
It is a bit like going from Strassbourg to Kehl on the other side of the Rhine.
In Luxembourg there is a little town where on one side of the border, you have Luxembourg, on the other France and about 100m further on, Germany.
Nobody is going to ask you for a work-permit, certainly not as a self-employed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visas for freelancers in the EU

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »