Thread poster: Nate Biant
Nate Biant
Nate Biant
Japan
Local time: 01:13
Japanese to English
Jan 31, 2010

Hello,

I was just wondering what the best and most efficient way of getting translation references is. I mean, to get people who would be solid references (such as university professors and in house training companies) you need references to get those references. For example, I have been trying to get on an MA Translation course, but I don't really have any solid translation references. Other than asking organisations you do volunteer translations for, what is the best way of gett
... See more
Hello,

I was just wondering what the best and most efficient way of getting translation references is. I mean, to get people who would be solid references (such as university professors and in house training companies) you need references to get those references. For example, I have been trying to get on an MA Translation course, but I don't really have any solid translation references. Other than asking organisations you do volunteer translations for, what is the best way of getting them?
Collapse

Katherine Osgood (X)
Katherine Osgood (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Arabic to English
Securing references Jan 31, 2010

Hi Nathan

I was in a similar position to you last summer. I was applied for Univ. Portsmouth's MA in Translation Studies and needed references. I had been working in an NGO, so was able to provide work references, but they specifically wanted ones to do with my language study. I ended up contacting my old Arabic teachers at the AUC in Cairo and luckily they remembered me after three years! Do you have any previous language teachers you could contact?

Portsmouth ended up
... See more
Hi Nathan

I was in a similar position to you last summer. I was applied for Univ. Portsmouth's MA in Translation Studies and needed references. I had been working in an NGO, so was able to provide work references, but they specifically wanted ones to do with my language study. I ended up contacting my old Arabic teachers at the AUC in Cairo and luckily they remembered me after three years! Do you have any previous language teachers you could contact?

Portsmouth ended up having me take a translation test anyway before they accepted me as even the references from my Arabic teachers weren't specifically translation references. Luckily that seemed to do the trick and have been absolutely loving the MA!

I would really recommend contacting any old language teachers you have and going from there.

Hope that helps a little!
Good luck
Katherine
Collapse

Nate Biant
Nate Biant
Japan
Local time: 01:13
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Portsmouth eh? Jan 31, 2010

Hello Katherine,

What a coincidence, I have also applied to Portsmouth's Translation Studies course. I've gone for the distance learning mode though. Having previous tutors who you can ask for references is probably what most people do to get onto the next level of study with their language, and it's good that you were able to do that. However, I haven't been studying my language at an institution, just self-study.
I was also told by the admissions officer that they would mo
... See more
Hello Katherine,

What a coincidence, I have also applied to Portsmouth's Translation Studies course. I've gone for the distance learning mode though. Having previous tutors who you can ask for references is probably what most people do to get onto the next level of study with their language, and it's good that you were able to do that. However, I haven't been studying my language at an institution, just self-study.
I was also told by the admissions officer that they would more than likely want me to do a test translation as a way of making up for lack of experience or previous qualifications. I'm glad to hear you say you are enjoying the course. Are you finding it difficult or were you prepared for the level expected of you?

Thanks for your advice!
Nathan
Collapse

Katherine Osgood (X)
Katherine Osgood (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Arabic to English
I'm a distance learner too! Feb 4, 2010

I'm also doing the Portsmouth MA via distance learning! It has been great so far. I have a full time job so sometimes managing the studying and working is a little tricky, but the support from the other students and professors are wonderful. I'll probably see you online!

I also did their translation test - a media article which was reasonably straight forward.

I'm loving the course - best decision I ever
... See more
I'm also doing the Portsmouth MA via distance learning! It has been great so far. I have a full time job so sometimes managing the studying and working is a little tricky, but the support from the other students and professors are wonderful. I'll probably see you online!

I also did their translation test - a media article which was reasonably straight forward.

I'm loving the course - best decision I ever made! Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get those first references?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »