Ronivaldo Silva
Ronivaldo Silva
Brazil
Local time: 03:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 14, 2009

Hi everybody,

My name’s Rony. I’m Brazilian. I work as a freelancer doing translation services; but I’m also studying hard so as I improve my linguistic skills, especially in terms of doing a good written translation. I know I’ll have to keep studying in order to achieve such goal. Besides written translations, I do consecutive translations as well, for me to get this skill better, I always listen to audio files from the internet – radio shows, talk shows, documentaries, n
... See more
Hi everybody,

My name’s Rony. I’m Brazilian. I work as a freelancer doing translation services; but I’m also studying hard so as I improve my linguistic skills, especially in terms of doing a good written translation. I know I’ll have to keep studying in order to achieve such goal. Besides written translations, I do consecutive translations as well, for me to get this skill better, I always listen to audio files from the internet – radio shows, talk shows, documentaries, news… in many different topics and accents.

Now the most important thing I need to acquire is concerning on how to improve my written and oral translations (or versions). For this reason I decided to drop these lines. I’ve been searching for some suggestions; one of them was reading books related to the subject. So I’d like to ask for your suggestion about the books below. I’ve just read a small book, “Oficina de Tradução”. Now I’m thinking about getting this: “Construindo o Tradutor” written by Douglas Robinson.

So, please, let me know your opinions about it. I have had so many good orientations from this forum, that’s why I decided to post this question before buying the book. Your point of view and guidance are important to me.

I look forward to have your responses.

bye

Ronysalles.
Collapse

Lizette Britz
Lizette Britz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
books, writing courses Nov 15, 2009

Hi Rony,

I asked my translation teacher once how could I improve my writing skills for my translations. And she answered that was good to read books on your target language from different authors, so that you could see different writing styles. It is basically the same thing you do when you listen to audio files from various sources. You could also check some writing course in your target language either online or in person. After all, the more you practise doing one thing the b
... See more
Hi Rony,

I asked my translation teacher once how could I improve my writing skills for my translations. And she answered that was good to read books on your target language from different authors, so that you could see different writing styles. It is basically the same thing you do when you listen to audio files from various sources. You could also check some writing course in your target language either online or in person. After all, the more you practise doing one thing the better you get

Hope it helps!

Liz
Collapse

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:26
English to Polish
+ ...
audiobooks Nov 15, 2009

Sounds a bit lazy, innit?
I have little time to occupy me eyes (so to speak), so an mp3 player + a great audiobook = the best solution. You can choose between accents and genres + enjoy yourself extremely.

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Rony, Nov 15, 2009

I don't remember reading this specific book you ask for, but when I start studying to become a translator I read some books on the subject. Of course, none taught me how to translate, but they led me to think on situations that I face everyday as a professional translator. And that helped me quite a lot.
Concerning improving your writing skills, I agree with Lizette. Read, read and read...
Good luck!
Katia

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
Daniela Gieseler-Higgs  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Creative writing Nov 15, 2009

Hi Rony,

how about doing a creative writing course to improve your writing skills in your target language? If cost is a problem why not try to find some like-minded people who would like to join you in a creative writing group? I found that some gaining writing experience - not related to my work as a translator - helped me a great deal.

Good luck!
Daniela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving for a better job

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »