Where to get advice on creating a new business?
Thread poster: Wendy Werneth
Wendy Werneth
Wendy Werneth
Local time: 15:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2003

Hello everyone!

I have done in-house translation in the past and am planning to start working as a freelance translator in the near future. I am confident in my translation skills, but I'm a bit clueless about the business side of things. There are several things I need to know more about first, such as: How do I legally create a new small business in the US? What about taxes? What should an invoice look like? Can I base myself in the States and still work from other countries when
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have done in-house translation in the past and am planning to start working as a freelance translator in the near future. I am confident in my translation skills, but I'm a bit clueless about the business side of things. There are several things I need to know more about first, such as: How do I legally create a new small business in the US? What about taxes? What should an invoice look like? Can I base myself in the States and still work from other countries when travelling? I don't expect any one of you to answer all these questions in-depth, but if you could tell me where to look for further advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,
Just Starting Out
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Advice Oct 20, 2003

I would recommend to get up with your local chamber of commerce. They will be able to give you the address where to register your new business and will answer all other questions, too.

mgonzalez (X)
mgonzalez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, ... Oct 20, 2003

... I suggest you have a look at:

http://www.sba.gov/
http://smallbiz.nypl.org/
http://www.lai.com/trorg.html
http://accurapid.com/journal/

Best regards. MG.

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
It's easy — even I can do it Oct 20, 2003

If you simply want to work as a freelancer without incorporating, you don't have to do anything, as far as I know — other than find work.

When it comes to filing taxes, you will need to file Schedule C (self-employment income).

I know of no reason why you shouldn't be able to be based in the US and occasionally work somewhere else.

Invoice:
- your name and contact info
- client's name and contact info
- invoice date
- your invo
... See more
If you simply want to work as a freelancer without incorporating, you don't have to do anything, as far as I know — other than find work.

When it comes to filing taxes, you will need to file Schedule C (self-employment income).

I know of no reason why you shouldn't be able to be based in the US and occasionally work somewhere else.

Invoice:
- your name and contact info
- client's name and contact info
- invoice date
- your invoice code or number (optional)
- client's purchase order or project number (if applicable)
- type of service (e.g. English > Spanish translation, editing etc.)
- probably some specifics (e.g. "website for Dr. Evil, Inc.")
- word count and unit rate (optional)
- expenses (if applicable)
- total amount due
- due date (hahahaha!)
- "Thank you for you business" (or something like that)

There are also invoice templates available for miscellaneous software programs (e.g. Word — you may need to customize them a bit), and some accounting and project management programs will automatically generate invoices for you. Then again, some agency clients will want you to use their forms for invoicing.

HTH, Norbert

[Edited at 2003-10-20 21:45]

[Edited at 2003-10-20 21:45]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to get advice on creating a new business?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »