Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should I buy a keyboard with Russian letters for EnglishRussian translation?
Thread poster: Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2009

Hello peeps. I am new here. I would like to find out what to do with regards to translating, as in do I need to get a Key Board - I translate from English to Russian, or vise versa, and do not know if I should just buy a keyboard with Russian letters on it, or can I do something else.
As I said I am just starting out here, so need help please.
Thanks
Lena

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-30 11:24 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
No special software required (in Windows) Oct 29, 2009

Hi Lena!

Windows offers all the cyrillic keyboard settings you could possibly want (Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian etc.). There is no special software necessary, but eventually you will have to install them from your Windows CD, because this is not really a default option if you install an English Windows system.

Unless you know the Russian keyboard by heart and you are used to blind typing, you might want to get a cyrillic keyboard after all, which should be available a
... See more
Hi Lena!

Windows offers all the cyrillic keyboard settings you could possibly want (Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian etc.). There is no special software necessary, but eventually you will have to install them from your Windows CD, because this is not really a default option if you install an English Windows system.

Unless you know the Russian keyboard by heart and you are used to blind typing, you might want to get a cyrillic keyboard after all, which should be available at least by mailorder. But generally, you can produce cyrillic letters with every keyboard. You could also stick some labels with the cyrillic letters on it.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-29 14:50 GMT]
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Welcome! Oct 29, 2009

Hi Lena,

Welcome to ProZ! I take it that you have not translated before and are interested in what it is about. If so, then you have come to a good place to get acquainted with the day-to-day work of a translator.

My first suggestion would be to peruse the topics in the forum titled "Getting Established" (see http://www.proz.com/forum/15 ). There is definitely MUCH more to being a t
... See more
Hi Lena,

Welcome to ProZ! I take it that you have not translated before and are interested in what it is about. If so, then you have come to a good place to get acquainted with the day-to-day work of a translator.

My first suggestion would be to peruse the topics in the forum titled "Getting Established" (see http://www.proz.com/forum/15 ). There is definitely MUCH more to being a translator than the keyboard.

My second suggestion would be to put on some seriously thick skin for what you are likely about to hear from the other professionals. They aren't being mean, even if it may seem that way; they are being realistic, because they know from experience.

Good luck!
Collapse

Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Oct 29, 2009

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Hi Lena,

My first suggestion would be to peruse the topics in the forum titled "Getting Established" (see http://www.proz.com/forum/15 ). There is definitely MUCH more to being a translator than the keyboard.

My second suggestion would be to put on some seriously thick skin for what you are likely about to hear from the other professionals. They aren't being mean, even if it may seem that way; they are being realistic, because they know from experience.

Good luck!

Thanks I shall investigate. Yes I have translated here and there, in small quantities, but I want to expand on that, and build up my self so that I can work for myself.
I have worked out how to use the keyboard, so Thanks everyone.
Lena

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is a professional forum/Be careful about your image Oct 29, 2009

We are professionals, so I have one very important tip: Using slang or "net speak" is not recommended. If an agency representative were to browse this forum, he or she would not get a positive impression if he/she were to read a post loaded with slang, informal spellings, and the like.

[Edited at 2009-10-29 18:29 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
YEs Oct 30, 2009

Sara Senft wrote:

We are professionals, so I have one very important tip: Using slang or "net speak" is not recommended. If an agency representative were to browse this forum, he or she would not get a positive impression if he/she were to read a post loaded with slang, informal spellings, and the like.

[Edited at 2009-10-29 18:29 GMT]

Sara, I agree

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Sara is right Oct 30, 2009

I was totally bewildered by the "boys and girlz" [sic] title of this post and the "peeps" that followed. Sara is a young person and a not so old member of Proz but her advice is worthy of a seasoned professional. Be sure to pay heed to it.

Neil Cross
Neil Cross
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Chill out, dudes! Oct 30, 2009

Personally I found the "Hello Peeps" opening rather charming - reminded me of Harry Enfield back in the 80s.

I guess Derek's advice about developing a thick skin was right on the money

Laters!

Neil

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
With Luisa and Sara Oct 30, 2009

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

I was totally bewildered by the "boys and girlz" [sic] title of this post and the "peeps" that followed. Sara is a young person and a not so old member of Proz but her advice is worthy of a seasoned professional. Be sure to pay heed to it.

Indeed. Maybe I am getting old but Proz.com should not be mixed up with myspace.

Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a slang Oct 30, 2009

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

I am extremely sorry for offending your feelings with the slang that one used. One of the main reasons why one used such slang is because one lives in Scotland, Glasgow to be precise, and here such slang is not offensive. Here we use words such as - Doll, and Pal, so on, and so forth, and no one finds it offensive, quite the opposite.

So I sincerely apologies once again if I offended you with such language. I shall look in to taking on some elocution lessons in the main time.

Yours Sincerely

[Edited at 2009-10-30 13:19 GMT]

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree with Neil Cross Oct 30, 2009

Personally, I don't think that being informal with peers is unprofessional. Although this is a public forum, it is intended to be a place where colleagues share experiences. I believe we cannot be rude or offensive to each other, but is that true that we need to be formal to be serious or reliable?
It's just my five cents...
Regards,
Katia

[Edited at 2009-10-30 13:11 GMT]

Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once again........ Oct 30, 2009

perry wrote:

Personally, I don't think that being informal with peers is unprofessional. Although this is a public forum, it is intended to be a place where colleagues share experiences. I believe we cannot be rude or offensive to each other, but is that true that we need to be formal to be serious or reliable?
It's just my five cents...
Regards,
Katia

[Edited at 2009-10-30 13:11 GMT]

Rude - is something I am not, I can assure you. I have been taught manners.

I will be more informal from now on. Thank you all advise taken on board.

Many Thanks

Dr Lena Kislitsa-Bryce

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Different folks, different strokes Oct 30, 2009

Of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Mine is that such informality may be appropriate in places such as an office, where everyone knows every one and they all gather around the water bottle to share gossips and comment about last night's latest scandal surrounding Dave Letterman, but not for a public forum of professionals, especially being new and posting for the first time. Then again, just as Nicole said, it may be that I am getting old.

[Edited at 2009-10-30 15:41 GM
... See more
Of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Mine is that such informality may be appropriate in places such as an office, where everyone knows every one and they all gather around the water bottle to share gossips and comment about last night's latest scandal surrounding Dave Letterman, but not for a public forum of professionals, especially being new and posting for the first time. Then again, just as Nicole said, it may be that I am getting old.

[Edited at 2009-10-30 15:41 GMT]
Collapse

Lena Kislitsa
Lena Kislitsa
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 30, 2009

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

[Edited at 2009-10-30 15:41 GMT]

If you think that the age has got anything to do with anything then that is up to yourself.
As I said before I have taken everything on board, and noted all your comments, so thank you very much for the replies to the actual question that I asked...
I shall proceed and refer to people that I have never met before on line as Dear Colleagues from now on, I can assure you. Thank you.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 23:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Me four! Oct 30, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Indeed. Maybe I am getting old but Proz.com should not be mixed up with myspace.

I don't have the stomach for "net-speak". The word "peeps", in particular, gives me creeps. We are language professional - let's treat language with some respect.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I buy a keyboard with Russian letters for EnglishRussian translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »