Thread poster: Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 07:11
English to Urdu
+ ...
Oct 13, 2003

I just got offered a job for dvd subtitling. I have never done this before. They are offering me 1.20 pounds per programme min for translation. I got the project from them to have a look at it and although its just one lines but its 31 pages. I want to know what rates are offered out there and why per min why not per word?

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:11
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Usual rate in the U.S. Oct 13, 2003

The usual rate for subtitling here in the United States is $5 per minute.

Good luck!

Kathi

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 07:41
English to Assamese
+ ...
Have you tried their software. Oct 15, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

I just got offered a job for dvd subtitling. I have never done this before. They are offering me 1.20 pounds per programme min for translation. I got the project from them to have a look at it and although its just one lines but its 31 pages. I want to know what rates are offered out there and why per min why not per word?

I got the same offer for Bengali. Although I had found the rates to be low I was keen to work just for the experience. They had accordingly delivered a test template where I had to write in Bengali. Unfortunately it did not work. They changed the template by making it compatible with another font. It still did not work. How was your experience with URDU ?

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 07:11
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Urdu worked for the template Oct 15, 2003

Syeda Tanbira Zaman wrote:

I got the same offer for Bengali. Although I had found the rates to be low I was keen to work just for the experience. They had accordingly delivered a test template where I had to write in Bengali. Unfortunately it did not work. They changed the template by making it compatible with another font. It still did not work. How was your experience with URDU ?

I told them to do the right keyboard settings with the proper operating system, and they made the template according to it, and it worked.They co uldnt see just one character properly but otherwise the rest of the characters were fine, so we are still working on that one character.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVD subtitling?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »