sunbeam32 (X)
sunbeam32 (X)
United States
Local time: 04:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 9, 2009

Hello everyone!
I'm new at proz.com and at job finding actually too. i wanted to ask for your help, because i have no idea where to start. I have few questions. What are the rates for translations and proofreading for my languages (english russian ukrainian german). And where to start getting to know how this site works. I would so much appreciate your help!! And if you have any advise i really ned one. Thank you!

Maciej Kotarski
Maciej Kotarski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:06
English to Polish
Check here Sep 9, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established-15.html?sp=forum&forum_id=15

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:06
Italian to English
Welcome Sep 9, 2009

Welcome to the site Sunbeam.
As you can imagine there are very many pleas for advice from aspiring translators on this site.
The best advice I can give you is to spend several days reading past forum discussions both here in "Money Matters" and especially in "Getting Established" and elsewhere.
That will give you many answers but no doubt also some questions and you will get much more helpful advice if the questions you pose are based on the information you will undoubtedly ga
... See more
Welcome to the site Sunbeam.
As you can imagine there are very many pleas for advice from aspiring translators on this site.
The best advice I can give you is to spend several days reading past forum discussions both here in "Money Matters" and especially in "Getting Established" and elsewhere.
That will give you many answers but no doubt also some questions and you will get much more helpful advice if the questions you pose are based on the information you will undoubtedly gain.
There is access to information on typical rates under the Jobs tab on the home page but I believe this is only available to paying members.
If you are really committed to becoming a professional translator, this would be a worthwhile investment, even as a Partial Member, because access to the Blue Board will help you avoid outsourcers whose aim is to exploit and cheat inexperienced translators.
Please do not expect this site to offer you jobs on a plate. You may be able to get some jobs to put on your CV by quoting for those offered here but mostly, clients looking for freelancers search the directory looking for those with appropriate experience and credentials.
My career began here by demonstrating my terminology knowledge in the KudoZ section (where translators seek help from colleagues on difficult terms), resulting firstly in requests for proofreading and then recommendations to client agencies.
Those with KudoZ points and paying members take precedence in the directory lists that potential clients refer to.
Finally, spend some time on your profile page after looking at lots of others.
This is the best free marketing strategy in the industry.
Let me know (here or via the links on my profile page) if I can help further with finding your way around the site.
Good luck
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 04:06
English to Spanish
My advice Sep 9, 2009

Spend some time viewing the profiles of your language peers. Click Directories (on this page headings) > Translators > and search your language pair.

This way, you'll get an idea of the full picture.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
FAQ Sep 10, 2009

sunbeam32 wrote:

And where to start getting to know how this site works.

Well, that is the fist place I can think of. First step on any website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help for beginners, where to start, minimal rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »