Thread poster: Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
French to English
Sep 23, 2003

Hi,

I just recently put up my own web site. Now I'm focusing on the promotion and marketing aspects. Could anyone please give advice on, or recommend good link exchanges for freelance translators? There seem to be many, but it's hard to know which ones to join, and which ones to avoid. Also, what are the requirements, or can anyone sign up for these? Does it vary depending on the specific link exchange? I read somewhere on the Internet that one should be cautious of "link farms
... See more
Hi,

I just recently put up my own web site. Now I'm focusing on the promotion and marketing aspects. Could anyone please give advice on, or recommend good link exchanges for freelance translators? There seem to be many, but it's hard to know which ones to join, and which ones to avoid. Also, what are the requirements, or can anyone sign up for these? Does it vary depending on the specific link exchange? I read somewhere on the Internet that one should be cautious of "link farms" and some "link exchanges". Does anyone know what a "link farm" is? Oink oink.... Please let me know if these have been helpful. Thanks.

Scott
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:25
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Search Engine Optimization Sep 23, 2003

Hi,
I can’t recommend any translator’s link exchange ‘cause I don’t know any ;( but generally, indeed, you need to be careful with them and with ‘link farms’. You see, all of this serves the purpose of achieving high ranking in search engines. The way they operate is that they count how many other sites link to you and it is an important factor in the ranking. That’s why every webmaster wants to have as many in-going links as possible and that’s why ‘link farms’ were es
... See more
Hi,
I can’t recommend any translator’s link exchange ‘cause I don’t know any ;( but generally, indeed, you need to be careful with them and with ‘link farms’. You see, all of this serves the purpose of achieving high ranking in search engines. The way they operate is that they count how many other sites link to you and it is an important factor in the ranking. That’s why every webmaster wants to have as many in-going links as possible and that’s why ‘link farms’ were established: the sites serving only the purpose of ‘cheating’ the search engines. You need to be careful, because search engines are not so stupid they can recognize a link farm and actually penalize your ranking if they find a link to your site in them! As concerns link exchanges: you don’t want your visitors to get distracted with ads which have nothing to do with your line of business or trying to sell useless things. You also don’t want your competitors to advertise on your site, right? One of the good things is to browse the internet and find websites which you believe are worth linking to and ask for reciprocal link. Most of site owners will agree to that if the content corresponds and complements each other.

HTH, these are advices from a quite newly born webmaster

Magda
http://www.kmm-language.com
Collapse

Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 30, 2003

Magda,

Thank you for all the info.

Scott

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on joining link exchanges

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »