freelance work
Thread poster: Néstor Fabián Pereira
Néstor Fabián Pereira
Néstor Fabián Pereira
Uruguay
Local time: 23:48
English to Spanish
Aug 26, 2009

Hi everybody, I was wondering if any of you could guide me on how to get freelance work. I have several courses in translation and I am currently preparing the IoL Diploma but I have to say that I would love to start doing some trnaslation work as I think I have sufficient ability to do this but honestly I do not know how to start. It would be nice to star seeing some income after all the money I have put into this. Thank to you all! ,Fabian

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:48
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Some tips Aug 26, 2009

Hi Fabian,

You have joined ProZ.com, which is a good place to start as a freelancer. Make the most of it!

You might want to start by cleaning up your profile (correcting typos, moving your working fields from "Translation education" to "Expertise", perhaps using some formatting rather than all caps, adding some relevant information, etc.) and becoming more active on the site. By that I mean setting your E-mail notifications for job postings in your language pair and wor
... See more
Hi Fabian,

You have joined ProZ.com, which is a good place to start as a freelancer. Make the most of it!

You might want to start by cleaning up your profile (correcting typos, moving your working fields from "Translation education" to "Expertise", perhaps using some formatting rather than all caps, adding some relevant information, etc.) and becoming more active on the site. By that I mean setting your E-mail notifications for job postings in your language pair and working fields, quoting on jobs, answering more KudoZ questions, and so forth.

You could also consider using the forums for more than posting questions. Questions similar to yours are seen frequently and you would gather plenty of useful advice in the previous threads.

Make sure you are easy to reach. Add your instant-messenger details to your profile and fill out your time zone.

To get access to all ProZ.com features, you might want to make one more investment in your career: becoming a full member.

Apart from ProZ.com:
1) A personal Web site is also a good place to market your services.
2) Use your ATA membership for networking. Join the Espalista (the Yahoo Groups mailing list of the ATA Spanish Language Division). Read the ATA Chronicle regularly. Attend an ATA annual conference and offer your services at the Job Market.
3) Use your connections from your banking career.
4) Specialize. Don't make your credibility decrease by offering translation of everything from advertising to pure science. Again, use what you learned in your banking career.

HTH,

Daniel
Collapse

Md Abu Alam
Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 08:48
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
good suggesstions Aug 27, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Hi Fabian,

You might want to start by cleaning up your profile (correcting typos, moving your working fields from "Translation education" to "Expertise", perhaps using some formatting rather than all caps, adding some relevant information, etc.) and becoming more active on the site. By that I mean setting your E-mail notifications for job postings in your language pair and working fields, quoting on jobs, answering more KudoZ questions, and so forth.

You could also consider using the forums for more than posting questions. Questions similar to yours are seen frequently and you would gather plenty of useful advice in the previous threads.

Make sure you are easy to reach. Add your instant-messenger details to your profile and fill out your time zone.

To get access to all ProZ.com features, you might want to make one more investment in your career: becoming a full member.

Apart from ProZ.com:
1) A personal Web site is also a good place to market your services.
2) Use your ATA membership for networking. Join the Espalista (the Yahoo Groups mailing list of the ATA Spanish Language Division). Read the ATA Chronicle regularly. Attend an ATA annual conference and offer your services at the Job Market.
3) Use your connections from your banking career.
4) Specialize. Don't make your credibility decrease by offering translation of everything from advertising to pure science. Again, use what you learned in your banking career.

HTH,

Daniel

Very good suggestions.

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
Local time: 05:48
English to Latvian
+ ...
~ Aug 27, 2009

I recommend you start by toning down the all-caps parts of your profile and use standard capitalization instead.

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:48
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly what I suggested above :-) Aug 27, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

perhaps using some formatting rather than all caps

Kristaps Otrups wrote:

I recommend you start by toning down the all-caps parts of your profile and use standard capitalization instead.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

freelance work

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »