Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:10
French to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired TRADOS Freelance 5 and have no experience whatsoever with the software. How do I get started? I have tried to read and follow the pdf manuals that come on the CD but they are too complicated. I am confused - is TRADOS really difficult to master? Is there any \"TRADOS for Dummies\" sort of thing?

All help will be gratefully accepted!

jinshi
jinshi
Local time: 09:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good Question Feb 19, 2002

Hi,

Yes, I have the same problem. It is very complicated. The after-sale service people told me they would hold training courses this year in Beijing. But no further response till now.

I suppose we have to ask Proz colleagues\' help.

Regards

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 21:40
German to English
+ ...
My sympathies! Feb 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-19 09:53, bharg wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired TRADOS Freelance 5 and have no experience whatsoever with the software. How do I get started? I have tried to read and follow the pdf manuals that come on the CD but they are too complicated. I am confused - is TRADOS really difficult to master? Is there any \"TRADOS for Dummies\" sort of thing?

All help will be gratefully ... See more
Quote:

Hi everyone,

I have actually uninstalled Trados; it is the worst. You should have gone with SDLX or Déjà Vu: both are much easier to handle, faster and they both have fewer glitches and problems than Trados (they are also cheaper than Trados). ▲ Collapse

Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA
Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:40
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Try this website Feb 19, 2002

To be somewhat more upbeat than Werner why don\'t you try this website:

www.macroconsulting.com/Trados.index.html

It should help to get you started.
[addsig]

German to English
+ ...
Trados Feb 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-19 16:31, DRH wrote:

http://www.macroconsulting.com/Trados.index.html

[ This Message w... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-19 16:31, DRH wrote:

http://www.macroconsulting.com/Trados.index.html

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-19 16:38 ]Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
German to English
Yes there is a dummies guide! Feb 19, 2002

Actually a guide for idiots!

Sign up with TW_Users - a yahoo based newsgroup - I think it\'s [email protected]. Once you\'re a member search the archive for the Guide for Idiots. It helped me get started. I agree it\'s bad but it\'s worth it once you get the idea. It\'s more than paid me back for the investment and if you can use Trados I\'m told the others are a doddle - one at a time for me though!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:40
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Trados for dummies :-))) Feb 19, 2002

Hi,

I am one of those \"Trados\' idiots\", even though I can use SDLX without any trouble (I agree with Werner on this point)...... anyway, I would suggest you start from the \"workspace\" and use the \"wizard\" to start a new project (take an old text, you have already translated, add the translation text as a reference and then let the workspace open MS Word with the original for you). Another way is to use WinAlign: open a new file, add the two texts to be aligned (origin
... See more
Hi,

I am one of those \"Trados\' idiots\", even though I can use SDLX without any trouble (I agree with Werner on this point)...... anyway, I would suggest you start from the \"workspace\" and use the \"wizard\" to start a new project (take an old text, you have already translated, add the translation text as a reference and then let the workspace open MS Word with the original for you). Another way is to use WinAlign: open a new file, add the two texts to be aligned (original & translation), align them, then let WinAlign display the texts for you. Once you have finished, you can export the alignment to the Translator\'s Workbench, set up a new translation memory and take a similar text, you open in MS Word. After that, start using the Trados Tools in MS Word, and you\'ll see a translation is proposed under the original sentence, if you had translated it in a former text. Well, I can only tell you to \"work\" with old texts and translations as much/long as possible, in order to get to know the program... and be ready to feel \"slow\" and \"silly\" for a long while ( ....Perhaps, you are one of those people, who have no problems with Trados....... Good luck!!!!

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You are not alone! Feb 19, 2002

I acquired Trados in September 2000, and it is completely new. In the meantime, 5th edition appears.

I will try to follow the suggestions above, in order to see what happen or try another one.

Good luck

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snap! Feb 20, 2002

I too have been asking myself the same question. A friend of mine attended a three-day TRADOS course in Madrid and said that he gained very little from it (it\'s a good job his company paid for the course because it was quite expensive!). I hope that Jinshi has better luck than he did

Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Tutorial Cds for Trados Feb 20, 2002

Hi,

I have recently been looking into buying translation memory software. In the process I got in touch with my local Trados office and asked them to send me information and Tutorials. They sent them within two days. For basic operations these tutorials were quite useful and demystified some of the more confusing terminology!

I still haven\'t made up my mind what to buy yet but I hope this is of some use to you.

JPESSIQUE
JPESSIQUE
English to French
Using SDLX and DV Feb 20, 2002

[quote]

Hi everyone,

I never got used to Trados. Maybe you should try using Champollion\'s Wordfas.

It is very much like Trados but FREE.

Once you use it properly then you can choose spending money or not.

http://champollion.net/

Yolanda Ruiz Luque
Yolanda Ruiz Luque
English to Spanish
Trados the best?? Mar 13, 2002

Has anybody worked with TRADOS WORKBENCH?? What is, from your experience, the best software for translation? I have seen many names but had the impression Trados was the best one... until now that I read it is TOO complicated and expensive.

Thanx a lot everybody!!

Elena Vazquez Fernandez
Elena Vazquez Fernandez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 18, 2002

I had never heard about this tool, and after reading this, I downloaded it, and it seems to be a good help!

Thanx a lot.

reliable
reliable  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Word Fisher Mar 22, 2002

Has anyone here worked with a program called Word Fisher ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a \"TRADOS for Dummies\"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »