Spain
Local time: 18:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You are certainly needed Aug 31, 2009

I can only agree with Sandrine:
Sandrine A wrote:

And I think ENG>FR translators are the lucky ones regarding demand for volunteer translation!

I'm registered as a French to English translator with a microfinance NGO but they send me more texts to be translated FROM English than into it. They always accept my refusal, then send me another!

Sandrine Ananie
Sandrine Ananie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:55
Member (2009)
English to French
turning down volunteer translations Aug 31, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I can only agree with Sandrine:
Sandrine A wrote:

And I think ENG>FR translators are the lucky ones regarding demand for volunteer translation!

I'm registered as a French to English translator with a microfinance NGO but they send me more texts to be translated FROM English than into it. They always accept my refusal, then send me another!

BTW Sheila, perhaps you could fill me in on the subject of refusing volunteer translations : I recently translated a text for an organization (ENG>FR) and they really couldn't have been happier with it... So much so that just a few hours later they asked me if I could as a favour translate a text from French into English. It was urgent and they couldn't reach their usual FR>ENG translator. I did hesitate, but in the end I decided it would not be ethical to translate into a language that is not my mother tongue. I may be able to make myself understood in English, but I don't think I would have done a good job, even though the text was fairly simple and not very long (about 600 words). I wrote back and explained why I preferred not to do it ; they said they understood and thanked me for being honest with them, but I haven't heard from them since!

I personally do volunteer translations just as I would do paid translations : in a professional manner. Do you think I should have accepted? Are we supposed to accept everything? Do you sometimes translate into French?

I'm toying with the idea of asking them the question...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Greenpeace Aug 31, 2009

I have done a few translations for Greenpeace, because I fervently support their aims and would like to help them in a practical way as well as sending them money. You'll find them by Googling. I haven't received many requests from them because most of their work seems to be from English to other languages, but they've been extremely appreciative of my work.
Kind regards,
Jenny

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Stay professional at all times Sep 1, 2009

Sandrine A wrote:

I personally do volunteer translations just as I would do paid translations : in a professional manner. Do you think I should have accepted? Are we supposed to accept everything? Do you sometimes translate into French?

I'm toying with the idea of asking them the question...

It certainly would be a good idea to ask them what their policy is and if your refusal to translate out of your native tongue has been held against you - I, for one, would be interested in the response.

Personally, the only time I ever translate into my source language is as a favour for English-speakers who I know as friends and/or neighbours. I do the translation for a bottle of wine or similar (never money - and if they don't offer anything then I don't ask), and I always make it very clear that I cannot guarantee perfect French, just something a French person would understand.

A Pro Bono translation is not a favour, it's a professional translation for which you do not make a charge. If you support the organisation, do you really want to see them publishing imperfect translations, knowing that you are responsible?

Sandrine Ananie
Sandrine Ananie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:55
Member (2009)
English to French
thanks for your reply Sep 1, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

A Pro Bono translation is not a favour, it's a professional translation for which you do not make a charge. If you support the organisation, do you really want to see them publishing imperfect translations, knowing that you are responsible?

Well, this is just the way I see it. I am not established as a professional translator yet but I really don't want to compromise my work ethics before even starting! I am glad to hear you as a professional translator think I did the right thing! (By the way, the document was not for publication, it was an internal document for use only inside the said organization ; it was an application from someone who wanted to work for them)

Last message though, as I am seriously veering off topic!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do Voluntary translations ? Advice and links welcome

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »