Translation agencies and tests
Thread poster: Anne Seerup
Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:03
German to English
+ ...
Exception rather than the rule Jun 19, 2003

Yes Narasimhan, generally I agree with you. A test translation is still work and should be paid for. But if I have a good customer, whether an agency or end customer, there are sometimes things I am prepared to do free of charge. That includes the occasional (I have done no more than five or six, in ten years) test translation for an end customer. Likewise, if a good customer calls me and wants a translation of one sentence, over the telephone, I am not going to start lecturing him about the val... See more
Yes Narasimhan, generally I agree with you. A test translation is still work and should be paid for. But if I have a good customer, whether an agency or end customer, there are sometimes things I am prepared to do free of charge. That includes the occasional (I have done no more than five or six, in ten years) test translation for an end customer. Likewise, if a good customer calls me and wants a translation of one sentence, over the telephone, I am not going to start lecturing him about the value of my time. Nor do I expect him to lecture me about who is being paid for the translation if I call him to ask for an explanation of a technical term.

Look at the never-ending discussions on ProZ about strife between translator and client/agency. You would think that agencies are the sworn enemies of translators. What we need is more co-operation between translators and clients/agencies, not less; it is in everyone's interests. I am not talking about the kind of agency Anne mentioned in her original post. I wouldn't be interested in working for an agency like that, test or no test.

Marc
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Jun 19, 2003

Hello Ann,
I have found myself in similar situations several times. Sometimes the agency gives you a deadline because there is a job coming up and they want to be able to assign it to the proper translator. Anyway, after tens of tests, I have decided to apply the following rule: I never do any test I cannot do properly because of lack of time. Since a translation test is your business card it should be done even more carefully than paid jobs for agencies which already know you. Sometimes I
... See more
Hello Ann,
I have found myself in similar situations several times. Sometimes the agency gives you a deadline because there is a job coming up and they want to be able to assign it to the proper translator. Anyway, after tens of tests, I have decided to apply the following rule: I never do any test I cannot do properly because of lack of time. Since a translation test is your business card it should be done even more carefully than paid jobs for agencies which already know you. Sometimes I ask for a time extension in order to do the test properly. If this is not possible, I prefer not to do it at all. This way I do less translation tests but I have started to see some results. However, even if you do the test at your best, there is always the possibility the reviewer will not like your style, your solutions, etc. This is something to accept philosophically as there isn't much to do about that.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Translation tests Jun 19, 2003

Although I'm not against them in theory, I won't do them any more. First of all, they're usually something outside my area, something very technical, even after I've explained that I don't do that kind of translation. So naturally, I've done poorly with them and have never once gotten a job from a company that sent me a test.

I think a better way might be for them to request a sample of your work. Of course one could cheat, but then you'd just be digging your own grave if they gave
... See more
Although I'm not against them in theory, I won't do them any more. First of all, they're usually something outside my area, something very technical, even after I've explained that I don't do that kind of translation. So naturally, I've done poorly with them and have never once gotten a job from a company that sent me a test.

I think a better way might be for them to request a sample of your work. Of course one could cheat, but then you'd just be digging your own grave if they gave you a job and you did badly.

Never, ever would I do a test of 1500 words! That's a JOB, not a test.

Amy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agencies and tests

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »