In-house translator positions -where are they?
Thread poster: bozenalak
bozenalak
bozenalak
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2002

Hi,

I am getting started in translating and would like to work with Polish(native) and English. Is getting a job as an in-house translator a good way to gain experience?( my language experience-degree in English and 5 years of working as ESL Teacher)

I live in Chicago, I wonder if anybody knows about that area and possibilities for Polish and English.

I would be so much grateful if you could give any advice. Thank you!!!

BNatt (X)
BNatt (X)
German to English
Chamber Of Commerce Jan 22, 2002

Have you checked with the Chicago Chamber Of Commerce? This may be a way to find out which companies do business with the country/language your expertise is in.

Also, networking with ata members within your language chapter may be a good way to get pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
English to German
+ ...
Job sites Jan 23, 2002

Why not check out the following sites?

http://www.jobpilot.de

http://www.worldwidejobs.de

Best regards,

Tanja

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
German to English
+ ...
Try networking Jan 23, 2002

Hi, I am also in Chicago.

You could try networking through CHICATA - Chicago Area Translators and Interpreters Assoc. - to see if anyone has leads:

www.chicata.org

This may sound weird, and I don\'t know how long you have been in the US, but take care and check the companies out when looking for jobs in Eastern European languages. From my mom who teaches ESL to Russian immigran
... See more

You could try networking through CHICATA - Chicago Area Translators and Interpreters Assoc. - to see if anyone has leads:

www.chicata.org

This may sound weird, and I don\'t know how long you have been in the US, but take care and check the companies out when looking for jobs in Eastern European languages. From my mom who teaches ESL to Russian immigrants and from experience in the Latvian community, it seems that there are some people out there in Chicago in the expatriate communities who try to pay recent immigrants dirt cheap salaries.

Hope that helps!

Daina
Collapse

bozenalak
bozenalak
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Daina would you give me your phone number? Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-23 20:18, Daina wrote:

www.chicata.org

This may sound weird, and I don\'t know how long you have been in the US, but take care and check the comp... See more
Quote:

www.chicata.org

This may sound weird, and I don\'t know how long you have been in the US, but take care and check the companies out when looking for jobs in Eastern European languages. From my mom who teaches ESL to Russian immigrants and from experience in the Latvian community, it seems that there are some people out there in Chicago in the expatriate communities who try to pay recent immigrants dirt cheap salaries.

Hope that helps!

Daina

it seems like you would be a good person to talk to regarding my problem.

I\'d like to call you,if I may to obtain more information. I tried to find your phone number in the Chicata\'s directory but you were not there.

Thanks a lot!

Collapse

bozenalak
bozenalak
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Daina would you give me your phone number? Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

<!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href=\"http://www.chicata.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.chicata.org</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->

This may sound we... See more
Quote:

<!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href=\"http://www.chicata.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.chicata.org</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->

Hope that helps!

Daina

it seems like you would be a good person to talk to regarding my problem.

I\'d like to call you,if I may to obtain more information. I tried to find your phone number in the Chicata\'s directory but you were not there.

Thanks a lot!

Bozena Schmall ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In-house translator positions -where are they?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »