Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you really need accreditation to be a translator ?
Thread poster: RafaLee
invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:48
English to Bulgarian
Of course there can be no black & white answer... Jun 5, 2003

... as Narasimhan noted.

I supported Armorel's opinion, having in mind the old adage that 'translation is the art of communicating the untranslatable'. No doubt, this is not what *all* translations on earth are about.

If we take a look at any narrow specialization area - in any language - and make a dissection of the writing and speech used for communication, we would hardly come across any exquisite language constructs. Quite the contrary, we would reveal a pretty limi
... See more
... as Narasimhan noted.

I supported Armorel's opinion, having in mind the old adage that 'translation is the art of communicating the untranslatable'. No doubt, this is not what *all* translations on earth are about.

If we take a look at any narrow specialization area - in any language - and make a dissection of the writing and speech used for communication, we would hardly come across any exquisite language constructs. Quite the contrary, we would reveal a pretty limited general vocabulary, elementary grammar, and heaps of specialized terms (whose usage is so determining, it sometimes tends to bypass - or even distort - general language rules).

Indeed, you don't need to know all the ins and outs of a language in order to translate the manual of an inkjet printer. In fact, the majority of native speakers would be less able to do it properly than someone non-native but possessing the necessary background.

Then, there are *levels* of translation. I have the feeling that this might be an uncomfortable topic; if so, I beg to be excused - I'm rather new to this forum. Anyway, it ought to be mentioned that there are simple translations that you can do (I mean - properly) basing only on working language knowledge. Other ones require academic language training plus fairly rich experience. There are also those that need you to know up-to-date slang and/or cultural context, without necessarily having read all the classics in original. OTOH, translations in specialized areas often depend mostly on the translator's expertise in the specific area, and overall quality has less to do with the acaedmic standards of language knowledge.

The extreme of this classification can be observed in this same community: many people give answers to KudoZ questions in a number of languages, yet being a native speaker of only one. Still, their answers are valid and precise. Just as probably most of you, in my practice I have happened to ask for consultation professionals whose foreign language knowledge was pretty basic compared to mine; nevertheless, they have been able to give me the exact terms I needed, plus explanations on usage more in-depth than I had ever hoped to find. (Admittedly, in the pre-Google times that was the way to go...

Being perfectly aware of all this, I still supported (and support) what Armorel wrote - and not out of some ill-meant elitism, but for one simple reason: because Rafa's intentions (at least as I took them) were to pursue a professional translator's career, not related to the subject of his previous stdies. Therefore I presumed that he would be dealing more with general texts (at least until he gained enough experience to - eventually - specialize in a particular area). Well, IMHO general translation *does* require native speakers for professional output. And not only that: ideally, a professional translator doing general translations (or covering a multitude of knowledge areas) ought to live in (or at least maintain close links with) his/her native country.

Living language is not a thing that can be taught. Exactly for this reason a good knowledge of it is a priceless asset - and indispensable for a qualified 'all-purpose' translator. This is even more valid for the cultural context that comes with being a native speaker.

MHO, of course.

P.S. Just to clarify: I rarely do translations not explicitly related to my scope of expertise, and even more rarely translate into languages other than Bulgarian (even though >BG translations are not in high demand). Yet I do take pleasure in answering KudoZ questions that have nothing to do with my native language, and am convinced that my answers have been helpful.

P.P.S. Actually, as I re-read Rafa's question, I believe it was about something else Sorry, Rafa, not much help from me - I have no idea of the Australian translation market.

Good discussion, anyway - thanks, everyone!
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Cannot agree with you more Jun 6, 2003

In my original and subsequent postings I made a clear distinction between technical and literary translations. I will be the last person to attempt translating German novels into English. I respect both languages and it is a delight reading a good translation by a native speaker. I will go one step further. I assisted in a conference as a French interpreter, not simultaneous but consecutive interpreting. Towards the end of the conference the delegates were giving their farewell speeches. I helpe... See more
In my original and subsequent postings I made a clear distinction between technical and literary translations. I will be the last person to attempt translating German novels into English. I respect both languages and it is a delight reading a good translation by a native speaker. I will go one step further. I assisted in a conference as a French interpreter, not simultaneous but consecutive interpreting. Towards the end of the conference the delegates were giving their farewell speeches. I helped two delegates by translating their French speeches. The first delegate read her speech in French and I followed with my English rendering. The second delegate asked her British friend to read my translation. Right from the first sentence I was amazed. The words were mine but the lady was pronouncing them as a native speaker does, giving proper pauses, emphasis and what not. I was moved to see my words come out alive. Afterwards I expressed my thanks to the lady but she was magnanimous in saying that she was just reading out my sentences. Yes, but how beautiful they sounded!
I am a Harry Potter fan. I read all the four Harry Potter books in the English original and went on to read them in German and French. Both translations gave out the same magic as the original. Would I have attempted the translations into German or French? No sir. Not in million years. It is here that the native translator is irreplaceable.
But technical literature translations are something else and I have a strong feeling that the majority of my fellow members are into that. Only my feeling but a strong one.

invguy wrote:

... as Narasimhan noted.

If we take a look at any narrow specialization area - in any language - and make a dissection of the writing and speech used for communication, we would hardly come across any exquisite language constructs. Quite the contrary, we would reveal a pretty limited general vocabulary, elementary grammar, and heaps of specialized terms (whose usage is so determining, it sometimes tends to bypass - or even distort - general language rules).

Indeed, you don't need to know all the ins and outs of a language in order to translate the manual of an inkjet printer. In fact, the majority of native speakers would be less able to do it properly than someone non-native but possessing the necessary background.

Then, there are *levels* of translation. I have the feeling that this might be an uncomfortable topic; if so, I beg to be excused - I'm rather new to this forum. Anyway, it ought to be mentioned that there are simple translations that you can do (I mean - properly) basing only on working language knowledge. Other ones require academic language training plus fairly rich experience. There are also those that need you to know up-to-date slang and/or cultural context, without necessarily having read all the classics in original. OTOH, translations in specialized areas often depend mostly on the translator's expertise in the specific area, and overall quality has less to do with the acaedmic standards of language knowledge.

The extreme of this classification can be observed in this same community: many people give answers to KudoZ questions in a number of languages, yet being a native speaker of only one. Still, their answers are valid and precise. Just as probably most of you, in my practice I have happened to ask for consultation professionals whose foreign language knowledge was pretty basic compared to mine; nevertheless, they have been able to give me the exact terms I needed, plus explanations on usage more in-depth than I had ever hoped to find. (Admittedly, in the pre-Google times that was the way to go...

Being perfectly aware of all this, I still supported (and support) what Armorel wrote - and not out of some ill-meant elitism, but for one simple reason: because Rafa's intentions (at least as I took them) were to pursue a professional translator's career, not related to the subject of his previous stdies. Therefore I presumed that he would be dealing more with general texts (at least until he gained enough experience to - eventually - specialize in a particular area). Well, IMHO general translation *does* require native speakers for professional output. And not only that: ideally, a professional translator doing general translations (or covering a multitude of knowledge areas) ought to live in (or at least maintain close links with) his/her native country.

Living language is not a thing that can be taught. Exactly for this reason a good knowledge of it is a priceless asset - and indispensable for a qualified 'all-purpose' translator. This is even more valid for the cultural context that comes with being a native speaker.

MHO, of course.

P.S. Just to clarify: I rarely do translations not explicitly related to my scope of expertise, and even more rarely translate into languages other than Bulgarian (even though >BG translations are not in high demand). Yet I do take pleasure in answering KudoZ questions that have nothing to do with my native language, and am convinced that my answers have been helpful.

P.P.S. Actually, as I re-read Rafa's question, I believe it was about something else Sorry, Rafa, not much help from me - I have no idea of the Australian translation market.

Good discussion, anyway - thanks, everyone!
Collapse

RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 05:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Jun 6, 2003

Thanks for your feedbacks, guys !

U have made me to realise my "weak point".
Talking about my native language, actually my native language is "Betawi", which is a "creole" language spoken in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital and it does not have literary language. "Betawi" and Bahasa Indonesia (aka proper Indonesian language) are as different as Haitian creole and Parisian French. Even some linguists would classify "Betawi" as a separate language. Therefore, sometimes I feel a b
... See more
Thanks for your feedbacks, guys !

U have made me to realise my "weak point".
Talking about my native language, actually my native language is "Betawi", which is a "creole" language spoken in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital and it does not have literary language. "Betawi" and Bahasa Indonesia (aka proper Indonesian language) are as different as Haitian creole and Parisian French. Even some linguists would classify "Betawi" as a separate language. Therefore, sometimes I feel a bit akward to write even in Bahasa Indonesia, as not many Indonesians actually speak Bahasa Indonesia properly and tend to use their own dialect.

Anyway, I have been living in Australia for 6 years so I have kinda lost in touch with Indonesian atmosphere. But I wanna get it back....

again..thanx everyone!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you really need accreditation to be a translator ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »