ATA exam and Dip Trans (IoL) : differences
Thread poster: idecev326565
idecev326565
idecev326565  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2002

I am about to take the ATA exam. Has anyone taken both? What differences did you find?

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
It is very tough! a 20% passing rate the first time Jan 9, 2002

Hello, I heard it was very tough as it only as a 20% passing rate for people taking it the first time. But, of course, if you\'re good, you\'ll pass! I wish you good luck!

Best regards,

Marijke

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Who that exam is meant for? Jan 20, 2002

Dear all,

It is my understanding that to become a member of any professional association one should be a professional in the field.

Being a translator/interpreter with the diploma of Interpreting Department - what is the reason to take more exams? Don\'t they trust professionals at the ATA or do they offer a special course in linguistics?

Just wondering.

Thank you,

Oleg Osipov

MA in translation/interpretation

En&g
... See more
Dear all,

It is my understanding that to become a member of any professional association one should be a professional in the field.

Being a translator/interpreter with the diploma of Interpreting Department - what is the reason to take more exams? Don\'t they trust professionals at the ATA or do they offer a special course in linguistics?

Just wondering.

Thank you,

Oleg Osipov

MA in translation/interpretation

En>Ru, Port>Ru, Sp>Ru

Russia

Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 09:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
Like GMAC, ATA is a business Jan 30, 2002

Gmac is a private instition (with semi-official characteristics, but it is a private owned business) which provides rather expensive tests such a GMAT and Toefl. They have a splendid HQ in Princeton, NY.

ATA is no charity institution either: To be able to participate in their accreditation test, you have to be a member (at $150/year I believe). Like Gmat and Toefl, the test is not free. If you have a few thousand participants in those tests times a few hundred $ = a lot of money.
... See more
Gmac is a private instition (with semi-official characteristics, but it is a private owned business) which provides rather expensive tests such a GMAT and Toefl. They have a splendid HQ in Princeton, NY.

ATA is no charity institution either: To be able to participate in their accreditation test, you have to be a member (at $150/year I believe). Like Gmat and Toefl, the test is not free. If you have a few thousand participants in those tests times a few hundred $ = a lot of money.

Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 03:38
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
there is 'on dossier' (or smth like that) acceptance option Mar 3, 2002

Yes, it exists in many assocc, (in order to collect $130-150 from professionally educated persons as well) -

I would advise to look closer asking --self \"What is the use of me being the member of such-and-such assoc?\" If it\'s only to be entered into a certain directory, receive a newsletter, be able to put \"a member of ..\" into your resume...

I would not advise to play the game if you have a professional degree. Better make it verified with a well-known credential assoc
... See more
Yes, it exists in many assocc, (in order to collect $130-150 from professionally educated persons as well) -

I would advise to look closer asking --self \"What is the use of me being the member of such-and-such assoc?\" If it\'s only to be entered into a certain directory, receive a newsletter, be able to put \"a member of ..\" into your resume...

I would not advise to play the game if you have a professional degree. Better make it verified with a well-known credential association agency (from the States, for instance, if you work mostly with English, and add a reference to you cv). You will pay $120 but only once.

However the above is my humble personal opinion based on personal experience.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA exam and Dip Trans (IoL) : differences

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »