trezoq
trezoq  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
English to French
+ ...
Mar 5, 2017

Hello
I am busy collecting colloquial (or dialectal) expressions meaning "Come in!" for a show being currently written. The theme is how strangers are welcomed in the city/the county when they arrive.
Ideally it would be how you tell (in your very local way) a newcomer that they are welcome to enter your home/property. The show is supposed to be using humour to deal with the serious topic of tolerance. I have already thought of several languages, but I would be grateful if native sp
... See more
Hello
I am busy collecting colloquial (or dialectal) expressions meaning "Come in!" for a show being currently written. The theme is how strangers are welcomed in the city/the county when they arrive.
Ideally it would be how you tell (in your very local way) a newcomer that they are welcome to enter your home/property. The show is supposed to be using humour to deal with the serious topic of tolerance. I have already thought of several languages, but I would be grateful if native speakers told me how they would say it (and provide me with a hint on how to pronounce it, as I can't read aloud more than a dozen languages). I am hoping for PT, RO, HU, PL, ES, RU, UE, HR, IT, Farsi, Pachto, Hindi, etc... but maybe also regional variation (Vlaams, Friisk, Chtimi, nissard, corsican...). Non-European languages are welcome, as are non-western characters (but give me the phonetics, please).

The original English dialectal expression is the typically Norfolk "Come Yew In!"

J'en suis au tout début, et j'ai déjà pensé à ca:

FR: Mais entrez donc!
NL: Komt U maar binnen! / Kom es effe binne
DE: Kommen Sie doch mal rein!

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Trezoq.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Arabic Mar 5, 2017

In Arabic, people commonly say "Tafaddal" (to a male) and "Tafaddali" (to a female).

Visit the following page in order to hear the pronunciation of each word:

http://arabicwithoutwalls.ucdavis.edu/aww/alifbaa_unit3/ab3_phrases_vocab.html

You will also find both words written in Arabic script.

[Edited at 2017-03-05
... See more
In Arabic, people commonly say "Tafaddal" (to a male) and "Tafaddali" (to a female).

Visit the following page in order to hear the pronunciation of each word:

http://arabicwithoutwalls.ucdavis.edu/aww/alifbaa_unit3/ab3_phrases_vocab.html

You will also find both words written in Arabic script.

[Edited at 2017-03-05 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 22:41
English to German
German Mar 6, 2017

There's several phrases that go beyond "Willkommen", but how long or complex do you want it?

Fühlen Sie sich wie zu Hause! (feel like you are at home = make yourself at home!)
Kommse rein, könnse rausgucken! (come inside so you can look out, spelled phonetically)
Schön, dass Sie hier sind! (great to have you here!)

meghanamorajkar
meghanamorajkar
Qatar
Local time: 23:41
English to French
+ ...
Hindi Mar 6, 2017

We would say aaiyeh (aah-ee-eh) in hindi....

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:41
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Twents Mar 6, 2017

From a region in the Eastern part of the Netherlands - not very widely used but very well-known:

kom 't erin dan kö'j d'r oet kiek'n (come in[to the house], so you can look out)

kom (like English come)
ehrINN (e unstressed, as the last e in 'letter')
dahn
kuhh (as in 'duhh')
j (first sound of German 'ja')
dr
oot (to rhyme with soot)
keekn (ee as in the first sound of evil)

trezoq
trezoq  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just an informal and friendly "come in" Mar 6, 2017

Thanks for the first answers. I am not looking for proverbs, just a simple equivalent to "come in", it does NOT need to contain extra meaning, like "have a look around". Imagine for instance, the way you'd encourage a person (who thinks they may be disturbing) to come into your house, hence the "donc" in FR, or the "doch mal" in DE, or "es effe" in haags.
My idea is to have many different languages, to illustrate the many cultures that have been made welcome here in Norwich. I will be coll
... See more
Thanks for the first answers. I am not looking for proverbs, just a simple equivalent to "come in", it does NOT need to contain extra meaning, like "have a look around". Imagine for instance, the way you'd encourage a person (who thinks they may be disturbing) to come into your house, hence the "donc" in FR, or the "doch mal" in DE, or "es effe" in haags.
My idea is to have many different languages, to illustrate the many cultures that have been made welcome here in Norwich. I will be collecting these expressions in real life as well, around the city.
I know Italian has many regional variations, for instance, but I don't speak them. Maybe there is a slight difference between PT and Brazilian, or between Czech and Slovakian, etc...
So keep them coming, if you like the idea.
Collapse

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:41
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Argentina Mar 6, 2017

Pasá nomás.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

collecting expressions for a show

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »