Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Which tastes better: courgette or zucchini?
Thread poster: Roni_S
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Immediately thought of Gary Laron's Nov 24, 2016

The Far Side. There is this cartoon about "Jeanie Jeanie Eats Zucchini". Even found a poem composed about it: http://fandalism.com/saulius/3T7

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Brazil gets it all mixed up. Nov 24, 2016

Zucchini in Brazil is named "abobrinha italiana", literally "Italian little pumpkin".

The standard jack o'lantern type of pumpkin is called "moranga", which is the feminine word for "morango", our name for "strawberry"!

Can it get any messier than this?

A few pumpkin types with their Brazilian names:

... See more
Zucchini in Brazil is named "abobrinha italiana", literally "Italian little pumpkin".

The standard jack o'lantern type of pumpkin is called "moranga", which is the feminine word for "morango", our name for "strawberry"!

Can it get any messier than this?

A few pumpkin types with their Brazilian names:

Literal translations of their names, left to right:
TOP: Neck Pumpkin, Female Strawberry, Italian Little Pumpkin, Lebanese Pumpkin
BOTTOM: Japanese Pumpkin, São Paulo State Pumpkin; Brazilian Girl Pumpkin

And here we call an eggplant/aubergine "berinjela":

Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Chameleoning it Nov 24, 2016

Hah, I knew the word "brinjal" because it's on food packages at the Asian supermarket. Brinjal pickle, great on bread or pasta!

And to answer the question which words I use in EFL: I actually write "zucchini/courgette" and "eggplant/aubergine" in (on?) my international internet hangout, because otherwise some people will not understand me and ask. (I also write "purse/handbag", and "street level" because like hell I am going to decide between "ground floor" and "first floor".)
... See more
Hah, I knew the word "brinjal" because it's on food packages at the Asian supermarket. Brinjal pickle, great on bread or pasta!

And to answer the question which words I use in EFL: I actually write "zucchini/courgette" and "eggplant/aubergine" in (on?) my international internet hangout, because otherwise some people will not understand me and ask. (I also write "purse/handbag", and "street level" because like hell I am going to decide between "ground floor" and "first floor".)

When I eat "Hokkaido" in German, I always have to remind myself that not every foreign-sounding word is automatically English, so I look it up (each time) and end up with "red kuri squash", at which point I often include a photo or a Wikipedia link, because hey, international communication is tough.

José, for me zucchini is the green one (Abóbora Libanesa), not the yellowish ones next to it.
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
ground floor Nov 25, 2016

"Ground floor" is a good international term and is not a problem in the US and Canada: The term is used often and is not open to misinterpretation. The problem starts on the "first floor" (which may or may not be synonymous with the ground floor).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I rest my case Nov 25, 2016

Unknown

Where should I begin?

Apparently in the English-speaking world someone has decided that a "panini" [sic] is what is called in Italy a "panino tostato" oppure un "panino alla piastra". The innumerable other panini (plural) that exist don't have a name at all.

As for the greengrocer's apostrophe as shown in this example: that's a whole nother story.

[Edited at 2016-11-25 09:56 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A bloke called Panini ... Nov 25, 2016

... obviously manufactures these snacks. In the same way as it's quite normal to see the produce of Messrs. Cauliflower, Potatoe, Carrot, Aubergine (aka Mr. Eggplant) and Courgette on sale down at the market.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Yum! Nov 26, 2016

I'll have zookeene today. http://www.snopes.com/produce-stand-sign/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Which tastes better: courgette or zucchini?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »