Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Trust Oct 19, 2013

Suzan Hamer wrote:

........ I wondered how do I know I can trust Abine?

"Fidarsi è bene. Non fidarsi è meglio" (attributed to Camillo Cavour) ("Trusting people is good. Not trusting them is even better").

You can't trust Abine, but in my experience, it works well when combined with other tricks such as AdBlocker and blocking cookies from third parties and advertisers (a feature of Safari) etc. Result: I don't see unwanted ads and never get pop-ups. Ultimately you need to also have your own ad-resistant software in your own brain, which prevents you from ever buying anything you've seen advertised.

Maybe this comes from living in a big metropolis where the advertisers are trying to get at you every minute, wherever you go; you develop your own built-in protection against this - including the embedded or subliminal type of advertising that doesn't appear to be an advertisement at all but which helps to sow a thought in your mind (they hope).

[Edited at 2013-10-19 13:00 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
startpage Oct 20, 2013

If you want the power of Google, but not the tracking, try startpage.com. It anonymizes your query and then sends it on to Google, like a blind P.O. box service, in a way. Google sees only their address, not yours.
Free.
I tried looking up "lack toast and tolerant" (Thanks, Nicole) on startpage and realize it doesn't have the fill in feature that Google does. You actually have to type out your entire query.
I use it along with adblock on firefox, and now see no ads at all.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I cannot rid myself of the feeling Oct 20, 2013

... that this little screen shot has been misunderstood.

The little microphone symbol indicates that this is what you get when you search for "lactose intolerant" via voice recognition (Google Voice Search).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
But.... Oct 20, 2013

Jessica Noyes wrote:

If you want the power of Google, but not the tracking, try startpage.com. It anonymizes your query and then sends it on to Google, like a blind P.O. box service, in a way. Google sees only their address, not yours.
Free.
I tried looking up "lack toast and tolerant" (Thanks, Nicole) on startpage and realize it doesn't have the fill in feature that Google does. You actually have to type out your entire query.
I use it along with adblock on firefox, and now see no ads at all.

Thanks for that suggestion, Jessica. Ironically, I found their website by using Google.

I've given it a try. It's interesting in that after you've searched for something, you're given the option of opening any link via a proxy, which means that nobody knows who is clicking on that link.

And there are lots of interesting options in the "preferences" section to make doubly sure nobody can track you. All of which makes the search process slightly slower, but....what's the hurry if it keeps you safe from prying eyes?

However when, as a test search after setting all my preferences, I searched for "tepe brushes" "pack of 6" "compare prices", it was disappointing that the first 10 results were Amazon! I don't ever want to buy from Amazon if I can find an alternative. This makes me suspicious that Amazon has some way of getting around all those proxies.....

So my question is....can I really trust Startpage? I'm also trying out DuckDuckGo, as another, similar option. The URL is https://duckduckgo.com/about

There's an interesting link there that explains what usually happens when you click on something in Google. They know what you've clicked on, where you are, etc.

http://donttrack.us

[Edited at 2013-10-20 10:44 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@Nicole Oct 20, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The little microphone symbol indicates that this is what you get when you search for "lactose intolerant" via voice recognition (Google Voice Search).

I only just realised this, by typing it into Google, where I saw several instances of it, including - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_lack_toast_and_tolerant

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Toast Oct 20, 2013

I love that explanation:

"You don't eat or have enough toast in your body".

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Quite right Oct 20, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Well, thank you for bursting that particular little bubble of ignorance on my part!

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:39
English
+ ...
Thanks, for the great quotation, Tom. Oct 21, 2013

I'm going to add it to the collection of quotations on my profile personal page... B

I wonder... I have no problem with pop-ups, because I use the "Block pop-ups Windows" option under Safari preferences, and in Firefox, I have used the option under preferences to tell sites not to block me. So far so good; seems to work. With those options available, is Abine/Do Not Track Me necessary?

Tom in London wrote:

Suzan Hamer wrote:

........ I wondered how do I know I can trust Abine?

"Fidarsi è bene. Non fidarsi è meglio" (attributed to Camillo Cavour) ("Trusting people is good. Not trusting them is even better").

You can't trust Abine, but in my experience, it works well when combined with other tricks such as AdBlocker and blocking cookies from third parties and advertisers (a feature of Safari) etc. Result: I don't see unwanted ads and never get pop-ups. Ultimately you need to also have your own ad-resistant software in your own brain, which prevents you from ever buying anything you've seen advertised.

Maybe this comes from living in a big metropolis where the advertisers are trying to get at you every minute, wherever you go; you develop your own built-in protection against this - including the embedded or subliminal type of advertising that doesn't appear to be an advertisement at all but which helps to sow a thought in your mind (they hope).

[Edited at 2013-10-19 13:00 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google knows

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »