Off topic: How do you react when the source is a badly scanned PDF?
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 5, 2013

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

How do you react when the source is a badly scanned PDF?

You can also post your feedback on Translators Anonymous.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Ever wonder... Jul 5, 2013

if they purposely worsen the quality just to make sure that you won't be able to OCR it (but not so much that you can't read it), since so many clients seem to hate translations delivered from OCR-d documents?

Another frequent reaction of mine is a telepathic scream to the unknown end client to "PLEASE CLEAN THE ROLLERS IN YOUR FAX MACHINE!!!"

So far my pleas have gone unheard, or at least unheeded.
... See more
if they purposely worsen the quality just to make sure that you won't be able to OCR it (but not so much that you can't read it), since so many clients seem to hate translations delivered from OCR-d documents?

Another frequent reaction of mine is a telepathic scream to the unknown end client to "PLEASE CLEAN THE ROLLERS IN YOUR FAX MACHINE!!!"

Collapse

Mina Ahmadi
Mina Ahmadi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Nothing special, Jul 5, 2013

I just do translation, I do nothing special!

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Instant rate increase... Jul 5, 2013

...of approximately 1 to 3 cents extra per source word (which, much to my amusement, often results in a Word document magically appearing ☺) and if the client doesn't want to pay the extra rate, I politely decline the assignment.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unprintable Jul 5, 2013

I rant, rave, spit, curse and froth (inwardly), then muster a facade of politeness as best I can and tell the perpetrator to "find another monkey"...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
An anecdote (sorry, a bit off topic) Jul 5, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
scream to the unknown end client to "PLEASE CLEAN THE ROLLERS IN YOUR FAX MACHINE!!!"

A client once managed to call me on the phone to tell me that the toner on MY fax machine must be low and if could please put new cartridges in, because the requested fax that I sent had come out too pale and was illegible.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
OCR Jul 5, 2013

since so many clients seem to hate translations delivered from OCR-d documents?

If a client can distinguish an OCRed document from a manually typed one, it only means the OCR user doesn't know how to use the software properly. Unfortunately, very few do. I'm already thinking of giving lectures on the proper use of OCR.

[Edited at 2013-07-05 22:02 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
You need two things to do it properly, in my opinion Jul 5, 2013

1. ABBYY Finereader
2. Adobe Acrobat Pro

For really poor-quality documents, it can take almost as much time to rebuild them as it does to translate them, so it is a given that the client should be charged accordingly. If they refuse to do so (as they often will, in my experience), then drop them as clients. It's that simple.

That is, unless you fancy working with for-profit companies in a volunteer capacity.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Also: Jul 5, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

- Please make sure to take the document out of its binder before you put it on your cheap scanner / copier

- Please make sure to unfold those dog ears. Even if they are important to you.

- Please make sure to place the document on your scanner / copier aligned and in a proper angle. Despite the fact that you consider a 13 degree angle highly dynamic and hip.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I hate OCR-ed sources Jul 22, 2013

And I also hate the idea of someone needing the exact layout of the source – from a non-editable PDF – while somehow not having a .doc version around (or at least a civilised PDF). Yeah, right. I'm not their cleaning man.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
same as theo.... Jul 22, 2013

... doesn't even have to be a bad scan either:

PDF= 0,05 extra per source word!

and then magic happens, ...they find the original editable word version...

Ed

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
charge a per hour rate for formatting Jul 23, 2013

if the client wants the document delivered in the same format.
In this case, Word documents also often suddenly appear.
If not, I OCR the document but I don't mind because I'm being paid for it.

What is it by the way that some clients don't like about OCR? Does anyone know?

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
unreadable input Jul 23, 2013

I received a text as a PDF; it was quite big and the agency had received it by fax; 50% of the text (English) was unreadable; of course it didn' work with any of my CAT tools. It was very urgent!

If I had Abby fine reader, maybe it would have worked directly.

If it were 2 pages, I should have tried to "guess" the English text.

Since this job was not a quote of mine, I suggested the outsourcer to have the text typed again by his American secretary and then t
... See more
I received a text as a PDF; it was quite big and the agency had received it by fax; 50% of the text (English) was unreadable; of course it didn' work with any of my CAT tools. It was very urgent!

If I had Abby fine reader, maybe it would have worked directly.

Since this job was not a quote of mine, I suggested the outsourcer to have the text typed again by his American secretary and then to send me the clean copy..

[Edited at 2013-07-23 20:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-23 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
unreadable input Jul 23, 2013

I received a text as a PDF; it was quite big and the agency had received it by fax; 50% of the text (English) was unreadable; of course it didn' work with any of my CAT tools.

If I had Abby, maybe it would have worked directly.

Since this job was not a quote of mine, I suggested the outsourcer to have the text typed again by his American secretary and then to send me the clean copy..

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do you react when the source is a badly scanned PDF?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »