Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:07
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2007

Kuinka usein, arvon kollegat, suoritatte inflaatiotarkistuksen hinnastossanne? Vuosittain vai harvemmin? Nyt kun Suomen inflaatio on kiihtymässä yli 3 % vauhtiin, tarkoittaa se suurin piirtein 0,5 sentin korostusta sanahintaan vuositasolla (jos sanahinta on 0,10-0,15 euroa), mikäli halutaan säilyttää reaalinen ostovoima. Muissa ammateissahan pyritään myös reaalisen ansiotason nousuun, mutta tämä ei välttämättä ole mahdollista kilpailluilla markkinoilla.

Tosiasiassa om
... See more
Kuinka usein, arvon kollegat, suoritatte inflaatiotarkistuksen hinnastossanne? Vuosittain vai harvemmin? Nyt kun Suomen inflaatio on kiihtymässä yli 3 % vauhtiin, tarkoittaa se suurin piirtein 0,5 sentin korostusta sanahintaan vuositasolla (jos sanahinta on 0,10-0,15 euroa), mikäli halutaan säilyttää reaalinen ostovoima. Muissa ammateissahan pyritään myös reaalisen ansiotason nousuun, mutta tämä ei välttämättä ole mahdollista kilpailluilla markkinoilla.

Tosiasiassa oman perheeni kustannukset ovat nousseet huomattavasti nopeammalla, jopa lähes 10 % viime vuonna (johtuen asumisen ja siihen liittyvien kulujen noususta: korot, vastike, sähkö).

Vai tyydyttekö kenties ostovoiman heikkenemiseen inflaatiotekijällä? Vai pyrittekö säilyttämään reaalisen tulotason jollakin muulla strategialla?

Kiinnostaisi tietää teidän näkemyksenne. Itse olen nostanut hintoja uusille asiakkaille, ja vanhoille teen mainitsemani inflaatiokorjauksen luultavasti vuoden vaihteessa.
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:07
Finnish to English
Same problem in the UK Aug 16, 2007

Inflation and the cost of living in general have been on the rise in recent years in the UK too. My strategy has been that I have upped my prices for new clients. As for the old ones, as you say the market is competitive, but I think it is feasible to have different rates for different customers. For example, put up your prices for those you could live without and keep them the same for those you rely on.
I was astounded recently to read how low the minimum rate some translators are charg
... See more
Inflation and the cost of living in general have been on the rise in recent years in the UK too. My strategy has been that I have upped my prices for new clients. As for the old ones, as you say the market is competitive, but I think it is feasible to have different rates for different customers. For example, put up your prices for those you could live without and keep them the same for those you rely on.
I was astounded recently to read how low the minimum rate some translators are charging. One should not be getting out of bed for anything less than €50 euros, in our language pair at least.

best

s
Collapse

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same for those you rely on? Aug 16, 2007

Spencer Allman wrote:
For example, put up your prices for those you could live without and keep them the same for those you rely on.

While I also may have a bit lower prices for those clients that give me the major part of my income, the keep-the-prices-same-for-the-major-clients results in gradually lower purchasing power (as the inflation eats more and more).

As for the minimum fees: more and more often I am requested to work on running tabs, so that there is no minimum fee whatsoever. I don't accept them. Do you, my dear colleagues? Been there, done that, but in the end I only had a headache and virtually no money from this kind of deals.

Annira Silver (X)
Annira Silver (X)  Identity Verified
Finnish to English
Annual price increases Aug 16, 2007

Prices go up by at least the inflation rate in all businesses. I put my rates up every year and have never lost a good client because of it. My main customers are particularly happy to pay me the extra halfpenny or eurocent per word, as this reduces the likelihood of them losing my [no doubt excellent and invaluable!] services. In return, I often don't apply my minimum rate to these clients, but do little jobs for them at the normal word rate. This is a valuable benefit to them, as I'm sure they... See more
Prices go up by at least the inflation rate in all businesses. I put my rates up every year and have never lost a good client because of it. My main customers are particularly happy to pay me the extra halfpenny or eurocent per word, as this reduces the likelihood of them losing my [no doubt excellent and invaluable!] services. In return, I often don't apply my minimum rate to these clients, but do little jobs for them at the normal word rate. This is a valuable benefit to them, as I'm sure they have a minimum charge to their customers. I also do the occasional rush or weekend job for them without a surcharge. Good clients are worth a lot of flexibility, as long as they pay you a good basic rate.

My tuppence worth

Annira
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hanki parempia asiakkaita Aug 16, 2007

Itse en koskaan nostanut asiakkaan kanssa sovittua hintaa, mutta uusien asiakkaiden kohdalla pyrin saamaan paremmat ehdot. Kun vanhat jää vähitellen pois, nousee keskihinta. Mutta suurin vaikutus on tehokkuudella ja kokemuksella. Myös on pyrittävä jättämään pois hankalat ja aikaa vievät projektit, jos voi valita helpompia tilalle.
Tsemppiä
Heinrich

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Hintojen nostaminen indeksin mukana

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »