Off topic: Finnish->English Translation Software
Thread poster: raylitalo
raylitalo
raylitalo
English
Nov 14, 2004

I am wanting to learn Finnish. My approach is to try to read the English and Finnish Bibles concurrently (using some very nice software called "e-Sword"). I am hoping that someone can recommend nice Finnish->English (or English->Finnish) Translation Software to help me through this process.

Thank you,

Ross Ylitalo
[email protected]

Annira Silver (X)
Annira Silver (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Finnish to English
Might be good to learn more 'formally' Nov 15, 2004

Dear Ross,

If you're serious about wanting to learn Finnish, I think it might be an idea to start from the bottom, so to speak, perhaps with a good 'teach yourself Finnish' book and/or a tutor, face-to-face or on the Internet. Finnish is not an easy language, to put it mildly; its grammar is something to be learned to be believed...

With a name like Ylitalo, you're halfway there: it's in your genes!

Perhaps the few non-natives among us who have learned Finn
... See more
Dear Ross,

If you're serious about wanting to learn Finnish, I think it might be an idea to start from the bottom, so to speak, perhaps with a good 'teach yourself Finnish' book and/or a tutor, face-to-face or on the Internet. Finnish is not an easy language, to put it mildly; its grammar is something to be learned to be believed...

With a name like Ylitalo, you're halfway there: it's in your genes!

Perhaps the few non-natives among us who have learned Finnish as a foreign language can give you some tips? Heinrich, Desmond, Spencer, Steven et al? I know that they have usually spent long periods living, working and studying in Finland. I have the utmost respect for them!

Good luck to you!

Annira
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Start with yksi, kaksi, kolme Nov 18, 2004

like every tourist does. But if you have prior knowledge, from relatives, try to get to a summer school in Finland.
The more languages you know the easier it gets. It's not impossible to learn Finnish (or whatever) from books, but I wouldn't start with the bible. Rather read the news in Finnish regularly, that language is pretty much standardised everywhere and you can find the same news in many languages.
Just some thoughts!

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Finnish online resourses Nov 22, 2004

Annira Silver wrote:

Perhaps the few non-natives among us who have learned Finnish as a foreign language can give you some tips? Heinrich, Desmond, Spencer, Steven et al? I know that they have usually spent long periods living, working and studying in Finland. I have the utmost respect for them!

My first book was Suomea suomeksi (Finnish in Finnish). It's a textbook plus exercises. Good for a self-study.

Good grammar book is Suomen kielioppia ulkomaalaisille by Leila White.

Here at the webpage of my former employer some links to online resources:
http://www.linnala.net/tyopaja.htm

The Bible is a bit too difficult for the beginner, in my opinion. Helsingin Sanomat Online would be probably more suitable http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/

Good luck!

raylitalo
raylitalo
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all.... Nov 23, 2004

Thank you all for kindly taking time to respond to my off-topic post! I am encouraged and have a better feel for what direction I should be taking to learn Finnish.

One thing I am going to do now, is to try to find some Finnish Webzines that I might subscribe to. It would be ideal, I think, if I could find one that was meant for children, and perhaps with an educational slant. Would anyone have an appropriate suggestion?

Thank you again,

Ross Ylitalo

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Fairy tales in Finnish online Nov 23, 2004

raylitalo wrote:

One thing I am going to do now, is to try to find some Finnish Webzines that I might subscribe to. It would be ideal, I think, if I could find one that was meant for children, and perhaps with an educational slant. Would anyone have an appropriate suggestion?

Unfortunately I can't recommend any children webzine, but here you can listen and read some fairy tales in Finnish
http://www.yle.fi/lapset/lastenaamu/lastenaamu.htm
you should click on the perls of the necklace

Alfa Trans (X)
Alfa Trans (X)  Identity Verified
English to Finnish
+ ...
From Start to Finnish Nov 26, 2004

Dear Ray,

I teach Finnish for foreigners and I know how hard it can be for some people. I don't want to discourage you, there are also many exchange students who speak fluent Finnish after spending 9 months here. They are mostly in their teens, which is maybe the time when it is easiest to learn!

Starting with the Bible sounds a bit too ambitious. If you are seriously planning to learn Finnish, I recommend the book that I always use when teaching beginners: From Start t
... See more
Dear Ray,

I teach Finnish for foreigners and I know how hard it can be for some people. I don't want to discourage you, there are also many exchange students who speak fluent Finnish after spending 9 months here. They are mostly in their teens, which is maybe the time when it is easiest to learn!

Starting with the Bible sounds a bit too ambitious. If you are seriously planning to learn Finnish, I recommend the book that I always use when teaching beginners: From Start to Finnish by Leila White. It is a short course in Finnish. After learning the basic grammar in it, you'll be able to survive in Finnish.

If, however, you want to study Finnish more systematically, attend a language course. Universities in many foreign countries offer Finnish language courses.

Nowadays there are plenty of good reference and text books available as well. They have been designed with the foreign student in mind. If you'd like to have more information about them, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,
Marju
Collapse

raylitalo
raylitalo
English
TOPIC STARTER
Kiitos! Dec 2, 2004

Natalia Elo wrote:

raylitalo wrote:

Unfortunately I can't recommend any children webzine, but here you can listen and read some fairy tales in Finnish
http://www.yle.fi/lapset/lastenaamu/lastenaamu.htm
you should click on the perls of the necklace

Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestion Natalia! I love listening and reading along at lastenaamu--although I rarely have a tiny clue what the narrator is talking about. This is something that I've been missing for a long time, when I was a child I had quite a few occasions to listen in while the older folks spoke in Finn, this is so fun!

Ross

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Finnish->English Translation Software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »