https://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/6809-learn_dutch_in_two_weeks.html&phpv_redirected=1

Learn Dutch in two weeks!
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2002

\"We are looking for a language teacher who can teach Dutch to an English speaker.

The job is in the Leeds / Yorkshire area and it will require the teacher to travel to the client\'s premises.

We can offer a set hourly rate of paid. Travel expenses will also be paid.

In principle, this assignment will last for two weeks, and lessons will be held 2 to 3 times a week.\"

Well, I doubt if the pupils will be very fluent in Dutch after two weeks, e
... See more
\"We are looking for a language teacher who can teach Dutch to an English speaker.

The job is in the Leeds / Yorkshire area and it will require the teacher to travel to the client\'s premises.

We can offer a set hourly rate of paid. Travel expenses will also be paid.

In principle, this assignment will last for two weeks, and lessons will be held 2 to 3 times a week.\"

Well, I doubt if the pupils will be very fluent in Dutch after two weeks, even though they\'ll be getting two or three lessons a week - for two weeks.)

Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
That is kind of optimistic to say the very least Dec 4, 2002

Hi Dave,

Consider it a little bit of a headstart. On the other hand, it\'s kind of a waste of time as most everybody in Holland speaks at least a little English, or at least attempts too. My American husband is getting by very well on English alone. I read in the paper that even the immigrants who never learned Dutch, will be required to go and follow an \'inburgeringscursus\'. That\'ll be the day!

Regards,
... See more
Hi Dave,

Consider it a little bit of a headstart. On the other hand, it\'s kind of a waste of time as most everybody in Holland speaks at least a little English, or at least attempts too. My American husband is getting by very well on English alone. I read in the paper that even the immigrants who never learned Dutch, will be required to go and follow an \'inburgeringscursus\'. That\'ll be the day!

Regards,

Marijke

Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:51
German to English
+ ...
a little bit of Dutch goes a long way Dec 10, 2002

Dutch might not be necessary to get by in the Netherlands, but it\'s certainly appreciated. And if you want to feel part of society (understand local issues, listen to radio, understand pop culture-based jokes, etc.), you need to speak at least some Dutch.

When I worked for a large postal organisation here in the Netherlands (guess which one), there were a lot of non-Dutch speakers working in the sorting centres. Unfortunately, communication between colleagues got so bad th
... See more
Dutch might not be necessary to get by in the Netherlands, but it\'s certainly appreciated. And if you want to feel part of society (understand local issues, listen to radio, understand pop culture-based jokes, etc.), you need to speak at least some Dutch.

When I worked for a large postal organisation here in the Netherlands (guess which one), there were a lot of non-Dutch speakers working in the sorting centres. Unfortunately, communication between colleagues got so bad that production suffered. In fact, it suffered so badly that it was cheaper to arrange on-going Dutch classes (i.e. it wasn\'t just some short-term PR stunt) for the workers than it was to allow things to carry on as they were.

Also, a sister company\'s works council wouldn\'t approve the appointment of a certain person as managing director unless he undertook to learn Dutch to such a level that he would be fully able to engage in management meetings held in Dutch by a certain date (he had more than two weeks!).

Oops! I suppose I should\'ve written this in Dutch. Never mind...
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Learn Dutch in two weeks!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »