https://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/6801-just_to_raise_a_smile.html&phpv_redirected=1

Just to raise a smile
Thread poster: Greta Holmer
Greta Holmer
Greta Holmer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2002

I received a job the other day to \'proofread and make into good English\' it was originally written in Flemish dialect and then translated. It made me laugh so much I thought I would share it with you.

Schrijf een kort toneelstuk over een gezinsdrama in het Engels.

Dit is wat een leerling er van maakte:

Ann sits in the hook of the chamber. She is striking Burts brook. The radio stands on. Suddenly she hears a lawight in the gang. The door goe
... See more
I received a job the other day to \'proofread and make into good English\' it was originally written in Flemish dialect and then translated. It made me laugh so much I thought I would share it with you.

Schrijf een kort toneelstuk over een gezinsdrama in het Engels.

Dit is wat een leerling er van maakte:

Ann sits in the hook of the chamber. She is striking Burts brook. The radio stands on. Suddenly she hears a lawight in the gang. The door goes open. There stud Burt.

Ann: Haha, there are you. It is becans tide. From where come you flierefloyter?

Burt: That goes you not on!

Ann is up her toe getrapped.

She thinks she will fall from herself, so she goes lying langout on the sofa and begins to snick.

Burt: Stop, hold up off I shall give you a vige on your smool.

That is too much for Ann. She flies right from the sofa and balls her fist.

Ann: I can no longer stand you out! I will take another man.

Burt: Pfoe, that shall me not spite. I have raids another leaf.

White like a like Ann falls fourover on the tapite. Burt wrives in his hands from joy.

He does the door open and smites her after him too.

In the room, Ann comes to herself. She seat her very bad out and she thinks lout up: “Ann, I will make myself from side”

She goes in the kitchen, takes a mess from the shoyf, but when she thinks of the blood and the pain, she has twayfels.

Ann: “I make my not from cant for a type like Burt!

I will leaver stay an old vrayster the rest of my life and will never merry again.

The public can see Ann go and sit on the stool and take her strikework in her hands. The lights go out and the gordines go too…

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-03 13:31 ]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Worth a smile, indeed Dec 3, 2002

and maybe a lot more, if only I could believe you actually received this as an \'assignment\'...

Take care,

Evert
[addsig]

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's a joke Dec 3, 2002

That text is an e-mail joke that has been sent around a lot.

I am sure it was never intended to be a serious translation...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
overdriving Dec 5, 2002

It does sound like someone is overdriving with the Mickey taking.

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
and the charge? Dec 10, 2002

Well, I\'d add a few commas here and there, but other than that it\'s fine...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Just to raise a smile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »