Rude ProZ members, 3-way translations & what to do about them!
Thread poster: Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2002

Lieve collega\'s,

Ik heb gemerkt dat sommige vragen worden geplaatst op de forums met een antwoord liever in een derde taal. Bijvoorbeeld: een week terug zag ik een vraagje om \'onderbouwen\' op het Nederlands->Engels forum, maar de vraagsteller wilde de uitleg in het Esperanto.

Gister of eergisteren zag ik nog een bericht in NL->EN, alleen de context was geschreven in het Duits. Het bericht werd dus door een moderator op het Duits->Engels forum geplaat
... See more
Lieve collega\'s,

Ik heb gemerkt dat sommige vragen worden geplaatst op de forums met een antwoord liever in een derde taal. Bijvoorbeeld: een week terug zag ik een vraagje om \'onderbouwen\' op het Nederlands->Engels forum, maar de vraagsteller wilde de uitleg in het Esperanto.

Gister of eergisteren zag ik nog een bericht in NL->EN, alleen de context was geschreven in het Duits. Het bericht werd dus door een moderator op het Duits->Engels forum geplaatst ALLEEN de vraagsteller wilde de uitleg in het Nederlands. Dat heb ik dus gedaan...

Nouja... het woord was heel erg eenvoudig, zoiets van \"geld\" of zo, maar omdat het eenvoudig was gingen de vertalers de vraagsteller gelijk te beledigen... gewoon sarcasme en zo. Dat vond ik dus niet leuk, vooral aangezien noch de zin noch het woord \'geld\' in onze glossaria waren te vinden. I checked...

Verder kreeg ik berichten van andere prozleden, bijv: \"It would be nice if Crumpler had the courtesy to respond in German or English\". En in een ander bericht geschreven door dezelfde lid luidde het als \"Seeing as though this is not a Dutch forum you should take your responses somewhere else (IF you even have something useful to say)\". _Verder_ kreeg ik persoonlijk e-mail waarin hij het duidelijk wilde maken dat ik zeg maar ruimteverspilling ben wat mijn antwoord betreft. Needless to say... plofte ik bijna...

Hierom zeg ik het volgende:

1) Als je het vervelend vindt om eenvoudige vragen te antwoorden, doe maar dan niet. Je hoeft niet onrechtvaardige oordeel op de vraagsteller of beantwoorder te uitoefenen.

2) Wees ervan bewust dat het best zou kunnen dat de vraagsteller een derde taal liever mocht spreken. Als je die derde taal niet kunt, geef dan je excuses en ga dan maar door met je antwoord. Hiervoor hoef je ook niets gemeens te zeggen, vooral op antwoorden die juist in die derde taal geschreven zijn.

3) Maak gebruik van de moderators als zulke problemen toch op je weg komen.

Foute gedrag zoals dit kan gewoon niet...

Bryan

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-10 02:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-10 02:42 ]
Collapse

Serge L
Serge L
Local time: 23:08
French to Dutch
+ ...
Proz en lolmakers Oct 10, 2002

Dag Bryan,

ik heb als eerste op die vraag geantwoord en gewoon geschreven dat dergelijke vragen best eerst opgezocht worden in een (online) woordenboek, zoals de Kudoz-regels overigens voorschrijven. Helemaal niet beledigend of sarcastisch dus IMO. Helaas wordt het nu mijn woord tegen het jouwe want we kunnen het niet meer nachecken, aangezien de moderator het antwoord gesquasht heeft wegens \"Unprofessional / no merit\". Zegt ook wel iets denk ik ... (en volgens mij wordt d
... See more
Dag Bryan,

ik heb als eerste op die vraag geantwoord en gewoon geschreven dat dergelijke vragen best eerst opgezocht worden in een (online) woordenboek, zoals de Kudoz-regels overigens voorschrijven. Helemaal niet beledigend of sarcastisch dus IMO. Helaas wordt het nu mijn woord tegen het jouwe want we kunnen het niet meer nachecken, aangezien de moderator het antwoord gesquasht heeft wegens \"Unprofessional / no merit\". Zegt ook wel iets denk ik ... (en volgens mij wordt die reden veel te weinig gebruikt om te squashen).

Wat de antwoorden in een derde taal betreft, vergeet het maar. Je komt de gekste combinaties tegen: mensen uit Ecuador die een vertaling Duits-Italiaans vragen en uitleg in het Fins willen... Ze klikken maar wat raak wat \"field\" en \"explanations in ...\" betreft.

Aangezien je hier nog relatief nieuw bent, zul je dat binnenkort zelf wel vaststellen.

Een van de problemen is dat er massa\'s externe links naar deze site zijn, volgens de ProZ-mensen om potentiële klanten te lokken, maar daar heb ik mijn bedenkingen bij. Je zult zien dat minstens drie kwart van die vragen die via deze links gepost worden, je reinste onzin (of noem het bezigheidstherapie)zijn. Als je zou kunnen checken via welke computer de vragen zijn gepost, zou je steeds weer dezelfde (flauwe) grapjassen tegenkomen, volgens mij. Je moet maar een op de commentaren letten van sommige anomynoussen, die zijn opvallend gelijklopend in de meest uiteenlopende talencombinaties. Sommigen maken er ook een sport van om termen op te geven waarvan 1 letter of 1 woord opzettelijk veranderd is, gisteravond nog in Lat > Eng: nemo me impune lasessit i.p.v. nemo impune me lacessit, zodat je, als je de taal niet echt goed kent, vertrokken bent voor een zoektocht zonder resultaat. In principe ben ik er altijd voor te vinden om mensen te helpen of mijn steentje bij te dragen, maar als je ziet dat hele opstellen zin voor zin gepost worden... In de Nederlandse combinaties hebben we er minder last van, maar kijk op zondagavond eens in de de combinaties met Engels, Frans en Spaans: een ware vloedgolf in de trant van:

- I have two brothers and one sister.

- They are 16, 14 and 12 years old

- en zo gaat dat nog een vraag of 20 door...

Bij problemen kun je je inderdaad tot de moderator wenden.

Nog veel plezier op ProZ

Serge L.
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
several issues here Oct 11, 2002

Bryan,

Firstly, I\'ll wholeheartedly agree with Serge\'s sentiments above, particularly on the point of the difference between the pros and the jokers (if you can click on the Asker\'s name, they are a member of ProZ, if not they are not a member; if the name is \'Anonymous\', they have been linked through from another site and the chances are that the question will be - to put it politely - simplistic).

As for the \"Geld\" question, it was not moved to
... See more
Bryan,

Firstly, I\'ll wholeheartedly agree with Serge\'s sentiments above, particularly on the point of the difference between the pros and the jokers (if you can click on the Asker\'s name, they are a member of ProZ, if not they are not a member; if the name is \'Anonymous\', they have been linked through from another site and the chances are that the question will be - to put it politely - simplistic).

As for the \"Geld\" question, it was not moved to German > English by the moderator (not by this moderator anyway), but by someone else. Not that it really matters who moved it. The question was clearly in the wrong language pair. Like I said in my e-mail to you, it is not uncommon to find German questions in the Dutch KudoZ board. People who are not so proficient in English often mistake the word \'Dutch\' for \'Deutsch\'. The \"context\" to the question you refer to was also in German. Fairly self-explanatory, I would have thought. As for the Asker requesting answers in Esperanto, the chances are it\'s either a mistake (it\'s the one below English in the drop-down list) or a joke. As an artificial language, the Asker must have another native language. Nine times out of ten, the Asker will have at least some command of both the source language and the target language, so either of those is a reasonably safe bet for answering. Remember, the Asker states only a \"preferred\" language for explanations.

As for the insults, there were none. Serge included a helpful reference in his brief but polite answer and the peer graders simply seconded the sentiments. At most, some of the comments could be seen as a \"terechtwijzing\", but definitely not an insult.

As for checking the glossaries, many askers don\'t. I\'m guilty of it myself sometimes (sackcloth & ashes again ). In any case, there are over 30 hits for Geld in the German > English glossaries.

I can\'t seem to find the question anymore (does anyone still have the question number or the URL?), so I can\'t read all the comments that came after. However, it is polite to reply in one of the languages of the language pair you are in (i.e. German or English in this case). If someone moves a question to another language pair, then you should assume good faith and accept the decision. Only experienced ProZ users can move questions, so they usually(!) know what they\'re doing.

To move to the more serious issue you raise, if you\'ve received an abusive e-mail from another ProZ member, please feel free to contact a Moderator (including myself) who can help you sort things out. ProZ takes this sort of thing very seriously. By way of illustration, this week two long-standing and otherwise highy-valued ProZ members were barred from the KudoZ boards for 3 months for repeatedly making personal and vindictive remarks. I don\'t want you to get the wrong impression, this sort of thing doesn\'t happen often. But in serious cases, ProZ.com will intervene.

Like all forums - whether online or in the real world - ProZ.com and KudoZ in particular have their own unique culture and it takes time to get to know how things work. The basic ground rules are be friendly, be helpful and people will be friendly and helpful in return.

Happy KudoZing

Regards,

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-11 11:45 ]
Collapse

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ter verduidelijking Oct 11, 2002

Dit gaat niet over Serge...

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
ProZ questions Oct 13, 2002

Dear Crumpler,

Chris is absolutely right. Don\'t take it to heart. You will soon work out how to deal with all the facets of this web site. If you get a \'negative\' response, the best thing to do is to ignore it. They will go away!

Have fun!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Rude ProZ members, 3-way translations & what to do about them!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »