https://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/5621-too_ridiculous_for_words.html&phpv_redirected=1

Too ridiculous for words -
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 9, 2002

The same old yet highly irritating song:

http://www.proz.com/job/27433

50,000 urgent for 35 hours, DUTCH>ENGLISH

Dutch>English

We need a team of 6-8 freelancers

available to participate in translating an RFP for billing

software from Dutch into

English (ca. 44,000 source words). Trado
... See more
The same old yet highly irritating song:

http://www.proz.com/job/27433

50,000 urgent for 35 hours, DUTCH>ENGLISH

Dutch>English

We need a team of 6-8 freelancers

available to participate in translating an RFP for billing

software from Dutch into

English (ca. 44,000 source words). Trados would be ideal, but not extremly necesary. Please reply to [email protected] if you are interested in taking a part and deliver it within 36 hours. We have received prices of 0.05 USD so if you could lower that that would be nice too.

Project begins 9th October 2002

Project ends 12th October 2002

Pricing:

0.05 USD or less

[addsig]
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
exactly Oct 9, 2002

... so don\'t waste words on it!

Chris

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
whoa! Oct 10, 2002

I\'d definitely do 5 cents a word for this job, only if they pay me $2000 up front.

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
It seems we're not that stupid! Oct 10, 2002

They have posted and re-posted this on several mailing lists as well, saying that they are still looking for translators. At those rates, I\'m not surprised...

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't agree here Oct 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-09 23:49, polymath wrote:

... so don\'t waste words on it!

Chris

If you don\'t react to such postings, the \'bad boys\' will keep on doing their thing...

By the way, this applies to almost anything.

[addsig]

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Forget it! Oct 10, 2002

a.u.b.

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:10
English to Flemish
+ ...
een beetje irritant! Oct 11, 2002

ik vraag me soms wel eens af wat mensen, die beroep doen op vertalers, denken. Niet alleen wat betreft de prijzen die men bereid is te betalen, maar eveneens de deadlines die soms gesteld worden. Ik vertaal enkel en alleen die dingen waarvan ik zeker weet dat ik precies weet waarover het gaat en welke overeenkomen met een van mijn wetenschappelijke basisopleidingen (civiele techniek en wiskunde, natuurkunde), zonder dus volledig te vertrouwen op mijn \"andere\" opleiding als vertaler. Misschien ... See more
ik vraag me soms wel eens af wat mensen, die beroep doen op vertalers, denken. Niet alleen wat betreft de prijzen die men bereid is te betalen, maar eveneens de deadlines die soms gesteld worden. Ik vertaal enkel en alleen die dingen waarvan ik zeker weet dat ik precies weet waarover het gaat en welke overeenkomen met een van mijn wetenschappelijke basisopleidingen (civiele techniek en wiskunde, natuurkunde), zonder dus volledig te vertrouwen op mijn \"andere\" opleiding als vertaler. Misschien is dat niet terecht, maar dat is even niet relevant.

Wat ik wilde zeggen, is dat ik laatst een dringende klus kreeg aangeboden met de vraag of dit binnen de 24 uur kon. Nu gebeurt dit wel eens meer, maar dan is dat geen groot probleem. Hier ging het echter over een zeer technische tekst waarbij zelfs (!?) ik problemen had om te snappen waarover het ging. Bovendien waren het \"slechts\" 12000 (twaalfduizend) woorden, wat - gezien de brontaal DE - al niet evident is. Als toetje kwam de prijs die men wilde betalen voor een dergelijk klein klusje: ten hoogste 0.05EUR per woord!!!

Ik word hier soms zo moedeloos van...nodeloos te zeggen dat ik de klus niet heb uitgevoerd. Ik heb werk genoeg, maar het geeft wel te denken!
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
children & animals Oct 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 09:37, jazyk wrote:

If you don\'t react to such postings, the \'bad boys\' will keep on doing their thing...

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you only end up reinforcing it (attention = reward). Only good behaviour should be rewarded (given attention) an... See more
Quote:

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you only end up reinforcing it (attention = reward). Only good behaviour should be rewarded (given attention) and the bad behaviour will \'disappear\'. ▲ Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not here, I'm afraid Oct 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-11 08:53, polymath wrote:

Quote:

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you... See more
Quote:

Quote:

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you only end up reinforcing it (attention = reward). Only good behaviour should be rewarded (given attention) and the bad behaviour will \'disappear\'.

Good behaviour is hardly ever rewarded in public when it comes to such jobs. How could it, we all bid anonymously.

I\'m aware of the fact, unfortunately, that even very low bids get the attention they don\'t reserve, hence my reaction.

By the way, what about public reactions e.g. against certain globalisation issues (Kyoto, Johannesburg, Seattle,...).

I\'m afraid I can list umpty more examples.

And rest assured that my dog remembers extremely well he shouldn\'t be doing certain things. Not as a result of me rewarding him

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not here, I'm afraid Oct 11, 2002

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you... See more
Quote:

Quote:

I thought the opposite was true. Take kids and pets, for example. If you respond to bad behaviour, you only end up reinforcing it (attention = reward). Only good behaviour should be rewarded (given attention) and the bad behaviour will \'disappear\'.

Good behaviour is hardly ever rewarded in public when it comes to such jobs. How could it, we all bid anonymously.

I\'m aware of the fact, unfortunately, that even very low bids get the attention they don\'t reserve, hence my reaction.

By the way, what about public reactions e.g. against certain globalisation issues (Kyoto, Johannesburg, Seattle,...).

I\'m afraid I can list umpty more examples.

And rest assured that my dog remembers extremely well he shouldn\'t be doing certain things. Not as a result of me rewarding him

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
communism Oct 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-11 09:09, jazyk wrote:

That\'s a matter of opinion. You think it\'s laughable to work for such rates (and FWIW I agree). Another will be happy to have any income at all. That\'s pure Keynesian theory for you. When demand exceeds supply (i.e. when you have too many cus... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-11 09:09, jazyk wrote:

That\'s a matter of opinion. You think it\'s laughable to work for such rates (and FWIW I agree). Another will be happy to have any income at all. That\'s pure Keynesian theory for you. When demand exceeds supply (i.e. when you have too many customers to service), the price goes up and demand tails off (i.e. you increase your per-word-rate and lose your lowest paying customers). But someone else is always on the sidelines to pick up the cheap stuff. The net effect is that you have less work, but earn the same or more money. And someone else is getting their daily bread too.

Short of the EU adopting communism and introducing uniform pay and prices in every sector (one slice of bread per sentence??), that\'s the way it is. Live and let live. If people want to work for what you consider a pittance, that means you\'re doing well. Count yourself lucky and enjoy it while you can.

Quote:

Point taken. I suppose that comes under group behaviour rather than individual behaviour.

Quote:

Bad dog! Woof!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-13 23:29 ]Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Too ridiculous for words -

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »