https://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/5475-the_flemish_question.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The Flemish Question
Thread poster: Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:23
German to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2002

What criteria are used to determine whether a question posted in Dutch > English is moved to Flemish > English?

Without wanting to start another thread on the differences between Flemish and Dutch (I use Flemish to mean the perceived standard variant of Dutch written and spoken in Belgium and not any dialect form), do we really need a separate sub-community (SC) for Flemish? Is it really a separate language? Two arguments against:

1. The Belgian constit
... See more
What criteria are used to determine whether a question posted in Dutch > English is moved to Flemish > English?

Without wanting to start another thread on the differences between Flemish and Dutch (I use Flemish to mean the perceived standard variant of Dutch written and spoken in Belgium and not any dialect form), do we really need a separate sub-community (SC) for Flemish? Is it really a separate language? Two arguments against:

1. The Belgian constitution uses \'Vlaams\' to refer to geographic or socio-cultural entities (\"het Vlaamse Gewest\" and \"de Vlaamse Gemeenschap\" respectively) and uses \'Nederlands\' to refer to the language.

2. The Nederlandse Taalunie states that \"Nederlands is de taal van eenentwintig miljoen mensen - vijftien miljoen Nederlanders en zes miljoen Belgen.\"

Also, if we treat Flemish as a separate language, don\'t we need to do the same for Walloon French, Hibernian English, and a countless number of other \"languages\"? In other words, are we not in danger of confusing socio-cultural issues with linguistic issues?
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
All issues can be linguistic issues... Oct 3, 2002

...at last.
[addsig]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear Oct 3, 2002

Stated in a nutshell!

Jacques Van de Velde
Jacques Van de Velde  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Flemish: A language, a subset or a dialect ? Oct 3, 2002

I am but an Engineer who hapenned to get into the \"Language Industry\" (Technical documentation industry would be a better definition) by coincidence . Futhermore I am a Belgian national of \"Flemish Source\" [the term is used purposely in this context and it means nothing else but \"being of Flemish source\" (full stop)].

I have raised this same (similar) question once about the Frisonian \"Language\" in use in the Northern part of the Netherlands to one of my relatives wh
... See more
I am but an Engineer who hapenned to get into the \"Language Industry\" (Technical documentation industry would be a better definition) by coincidence . Futhermore I am a Belgian national of \"Flemish Source\" [the term is used purposely in this context and it means nothing else but \"being of Flemish source\" (full stop)].

I have raised this same (similar) question once about the Frisonian \"Language\" in use in the Northern part of the Netherlands to one of my relatives who is a professor ordinarius at the (Dutch) Nijmegen University for English Phonetics / Phonology and similar linguo-scientific \"Language Hair Cleaving Technology\" (\'sic dixit\' the undersigned).

Not so much to my surprise, but rather to my satisfaction, his answer was: \"This is not a linguistic, but a political question\"!

EXPANDING THEREUPON:

====================

In a translation where say 8 to 10 different technical disciplines come across the table(ex.: robotics), the \"issue\" of \"Flemish or Dutch\" is a point of minimal importance (there is no difference of any significance between the technical level of a standard engineer raised in Holland or in Belgium).

To me the real issue, for the \"translation world\" is: \"As long as (several!) Belgian translators keep believing themselves (!) and keep telling the world they translate into Flemish (A non documented variant of the Dutch goup of languages), they are presenting potential business \"on a gold plate\" to their Dutch colleagues, who are certainly most willing (in general they are good bisinessmen and as I could imagine most certainly appreciate this \'gratis\' help to keep the \"mythe\" alive to English, American, German, etc. companies.

Collapse

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
10 arguments for: Oct 3, 2002

Well... just as a glaring example of how important separating the difference is for a the target community I\'d like to completely embarass myself and say that I have actually been turned down for a teaching job before by the very the fact that I\'m versed in \"American\" and not \"English\". What\'s the difference? Expressions, formal constructions, spelling, formal names - lots of things... apart from the accents & dialects which is most likely what separates the two.

I s
... See more
Well... just as a glaring example of how important separating the difference is for a the target community I\'d like to completely embarass myself and say that I have actually been turned down for a teaching job before by the very the fact that I\'m versed in \"American\" and not \"English\". What\'s the difference? Expressions, formal constructions, spelling, formal names - lots of things... apart from the accents & dialects which is most likely what separates the two.

I suppose that knowing what the target community is or understanding the constructions of the Flemish \"language\" per se play a huge role in how the text should be translated between languages. So I say keep the distinction.

10 ARGUMENTS FOR:

1) Blatant: If the target community has been identified as Belgian - of course a Flemish construction/expression would be more apropos. The Belgian people feel very strongly about their language, whether it be French or Flemish, and that denotation should be respected.

Examples:

Copywriting for Advertising or Websites

Where would you most likely see - \"Zou u uw CV willen opsturen\" and \"Gelieve uw CV op te sturen\", for example?

2) \"Official\" words:

political institutions and social provisions etc.

Examples:

kinderbijslag vs kindergeld

Eerste en Tweede Kamer vs Senaat en Kamer van Volksvertegenwoordigers

3)Words from daily life & form of address (vocabulary basically)

Examples:

gij/ge (of course) as unrestrictive address to God for example

living, hof, koer, fruitsap, wisselstukken

4) Diminuatives

5) Borrowed words & anglicisms

Often picked up via French.

Examples:

Menus - croque-monsieur vs tosti.

6) Barbarisms & pejorative cognatives

7) Purisms & counters to alien elements in the language

Examples:

webstek vs website

regenscherm vs paraplu

droogzwierder vs centrifuge

kinderkribbe vs crèche

watergladheid vs aquaplaning

Style & Syntax

...goes in hand with sentence construction & is most likely influenced by French as well.

Right or wrong?

\"Hij heeft er niets willen over zeggen.\"

in Vlaams - right

in Nederlands - well... wrong

9) Scholarly opinion

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001 states \"So closely are Flemish and Dutch related that the difference between them has been compared to the difference between American and British English; however, some scholars hold that they have diverged sufficiently since the 16th cent. to be described as separate languages.\"

10) \'Cause I said so... so there!

References:

Dutch in Flanders

http://www.ned.univie.ac.at/publicaties/taalgeschiedenis/en/vlaams.htm

Explanation of the use of the Flemish Language:

http://users.pandora.be/hermanb/

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright © 2002 Columbia University Press

Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dutch-Subtitling Flemish. Oct 3, 2002

I\'ve noticed that one Flemish police drama airing on the international Flemish/Dutch TV channel broadcasted via Dish network in the US uses Dutch subtitles. Is this really necessary if the two are mutually intelligle? I notice minor differences in words, but nothing I would think warrants a 100 percent subtitling effort. Captioning is very helpful generally, of course, but it is not done across the board, only in this particular instance.

Comments?

... See more
I\'ve noticed that one Flemish police drama airing on the international Flemish/Dutch TV channel broadcasted via Dish network in the US uses Dutch subtitles. Is this really necessary if the two are mutually intelligle? I notice minor differences in words, but nothing I would think warrants a 100 percent subtitling effort. Captioning is very helpful generally, of course, but it is not done across the board, only in this particular instance.

Comments?

Just a quick note - also in response to Chris\' comment below on the difference between captioning and subtitling. I see captioning sometimes on Dutch TV for people who are hard to understand due to their particular articulation, sometimes age-related. Then there is subtitling, a somewhat different animal, in that it often changes what is being said.

Also, I have seen captioning (not closed captioning) on American TV when you are dealing with some unusual British accents, but never subtitling.

Dutch comes in many variants in terms of pronunciation, as far as I can tell, at least I can distinguish three such, the Northern more guttural version, a Randstad version centered around Harlem with fluid retroflex are\'s as its main feature, I would say, and then Flemish with soft gee\'s.

Is this a fair characterization?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-04 14:15 ]
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dutch subtitles Oct 4, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:40, Yngve wrote:

I\'ve noticed that one Flemish police drama airing on the international Flemish/Dutch TV channel broadcasted via Dish network in the US uses Dutch subtitles. Is this really necessary if the two are mutually intelligle? Comments?

The two regional variants are mutually intelligible. However, there is a question of tolerance.

For exa... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:40, Yngve wrote:

I\'ve noticed that one Flemish police drama airing on the international Flemish/Dutch TV channel broadcasted via Dish network in the US uses Dutch subtitles. Is this really necessary if the two are mutually intelligle? Comments?

The two regional variants are mutually intelligible. However, there is a question of tolerance.

For example, Dutch television news adds subtitles to interviews with farmers because of their \"broad\" vowels. AFAIK there are no NL television programmes on Flemish television that are broadcast with subtitles.

You could compare it to a US television audience trying to make sense of Coronation Street or Emmerdale, while a UK audience is perfectly able to make (some!) sense of Friends.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-04 02:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-04 02:21 ]Collapse

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh dear! Oct 4, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:12, crumpler wrote:

Well... just as a glaring example of how important separating the difference is for a the target community I\'d like to completely embarass myself and say that I have actually been turned down for a teaching job before by the very the fact that I\'m versed in \"American\" and not \"English\". What\'s the difference?

The difference between US and UK ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:12, crumpler wrote:

Well... just as a glaring example of how important separating the difference is for a the target community I\'d like to completely embarass myself and say that I have actually been turned down for a teaching job before by the very the fact that I\'m versed in \"American\" and not \"English\". What\'s the difference?

The difference between US and UK English is 600 years of separate cultural development. The building blocks of the language known as English remain the same. Ditto Dutch/Flemish. Interestingly, the last 40 years of US/UK development show a trend of cultural conversion.

BTW, I did actually say \"Without wanting to start another thread on the differences between Flemish and Dutch\"

Chris

--

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-06 16:38 ]Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
English to German
+ ...
Please!? Oct 4, 2002

Quote : I did actually say \"Without wanting to start another thread on the differences between Flemish and Dutch\"

But you did, helaas. I think people should look for what they have in common rather than looking for differences. Just look at Ex-Yugoslavia. How many languages have they got now? Do they still communicate with each other? I don\'t know.

Of course there are differences. But Crumpler, every point you made is true for almost any other major l
... See more
Quote : I did actually say \"Without wanting to start another thread on the differences between Flemish and Dutch\"

But you did, helaas. I think people should look for what they have in common rather than looking for differences. Just look at Ex-Yugoslavia. How many languages have they got now? Do they still communicate with each other? I don\'t know.

Of course there are differences. But Crumpler, every point you made is true for almost any other major language as well.

Why isn\'t there a Flemish and a Dutch forum, a Canadian, African and European French forum and so forth? Because we understand each other and communicate regardless of which variation of a language we speak. I live in the UK but most of my translation jobs are from American English into (German) German and I\'m sure people in Austria and Switzerland are perfectly able to understand them.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dutch and Flemish Oct 4, 2002

Crumpler\'s arguments could also apply to the language used by company A and B when in theory they have a common language. Especially when translating technical documentation you come across the fact that one company will call their item that does such and such a thing x while company B (only just down the road) will call it y. Are we making things easier for the user when we prolong the myth? I don\'t think so.

Bart B. Van Bockstaele
Bart B. Van Bockstaele  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch
+ ...
Apart forum? Of niet? Oct 5, 2002

Tja Chris,

Het eeuwige probleem hé. Het vervelende is dat het onderscheid tussen een taal en een dialect een politiek onderscheid is, geen wetenschappelijk.

Om een niet-Vlaams voorbeeld te gebruiken: Letzebuerger is de moedertaal van de inwoners van het Groot-Hertogdom Luxemburg, maar het ronduit verwerpelijke dialect van een deel van de Belgen.

Een leuk voorbeeld wordt ook gevormd door het Frans van Québec en het Afrikaans. Beide
... See more
Tja Chris,

Het eeuwige probleem hé. Het vervelende is dat het onderscheid tussen een taal en een dialect een politiek onderscheid is, geen wetenschappelijk.

Om een niet-Vlaams voorbeeld te gebruiken: Letzebuerger is de moedertaal van de inwoners van het Groot-Hertogdom Luxemburg, maar het ronduit verwerpelijke dialect van een deel van de Belgen.

Een leuk voorbeeld wordt ook gevormd door het Frans van Québec en het Afrikaans. Beide talen zijn afkomstig van een Europese moedertaal. Beide talen zijn beïnvloed door de lokale talen en zijn dan een eigen leven gaan leiden. Beide talen verschillen zo drastisch van de moedertaal dat ze door sprekers van de officiële moedertaal niet langer worden begrepen. Maar het Frans van Québec is officieel Frans gebleven, terwijl het Afrikaans nu officieel een andere taal is. Daar zijn redenen voor, en die redenen zijn politiek, niet wetenschappelijk (hoewel de schrijftaal daar allicht ook wel voor veel tussen zit).

Je definitie van Vlaams is precies dezelfde definitie die ik gebruik. Maar je moet wel weten dat, als je het zou wagen die definitie in \'weldenkende kringen\' te gebruiken, je je aan hysterisch gekrijs mag verwachten.

De kwestie Nederlands-Vlaams is niet alleen een taalkwestie. Het is ook een godsdienstkwestie: de katholieke kerk is al enkele eeuwen voorstander van een strikte scheiding tussen Nederland en Vlaanderen. En het is een politieke kwestie, Léopold Ier wilde bijvoorbeeld niets te maken hebben met die smerige Vlamingen en dat geldt in verschillende graden nog altijd voor die familie.

Omdat er taalkundig eigenlijk geen verschil is tussen een dialect en een taal, doet het er hier verder niet toe of Vlaams een taal dan wel een dialect is. Maar er zijn belangrijke verschillen tussen talen. Er valt bijvoorbeeld wel wat te zeggen voor het feit dat Nederlands een taal is en Frans niet.

Nederlands is een min of meer geslaagd kunstmatig brouwsel dat is opgesteld door een commissie die zich heeft gebaseerd op de dialecten/talen die in Nederland (en niet in België) worden gesproken. Het is met andere woorden een taal die uitdrukkelijk is bedoeld om door iedereen te worden begrepen.

Frans is het dialect/de taal van het Ile de France dat/die door François Premier tot standaardtaal is gebombardeerd. Frans is dus niet bedoeld om door iedereen te worden begrepen. Het is de taal van de heerser die alle onderdanen van dat land verplicht zijn te gebruiken.

In Nederland is er een grote kans dat zware jongens in een oubliëtte worden gegooid terwijl er in België meer kans is dat criminelen in de vergeetput gegooid worden. Maar daar heb je het niet over. Of juist weer wel? Is het niet omdat er wel degelijk verschillen zijn dat de vraag relevant is?

De twee argumenten die je aanhaalt tegen het Vlaams, zullen in Vlaanderen veel meer als argumenten pro worden gezien.

Nederlands verwijst in België niet naar de taal van de Vlamingen, maar naar de taal die het regime voor hen (met de beste bedoelingen) heeft uitgekozen. In de visie van het Belgische regime zijn Vlamingen een zootje armoekraaiers, boertjes die mogelijk door erfelijkheid maar minstens door omgevingsinvloeden minder intelligent zijn dan de inwoners van de meer zuidelijk gelegen gebieden. Het is bijvoorbeeld algemeen bekend dat ze niet goed zijn in wetenschappen en wiskunde omdat er te veel mist is in Vlaanderen terwijl het veel helderder klimaat in de rest van België de mensen daar scherpzinniger maakt. Vlamingen hebben geen taal. Ze brabbelen een verzameling onbegrijpelijke en onbelangrijke primitieve dialecten die we aanduiden met de verzamelnaam Flamand of Flamin. Omdat het -allicht vanwege hun beperkte intelligentie- niet is gelukt hen de Franse cultuurtaal bij te brengen en er toch iets moet worden ondernomen, heeft de Belgische overheid beslist dat hun standaardtaal het Nederlands is. Nederland ligt immers vlakbij.

Het Vlaamsvoelende (maar volkomen Franstalige) deel van de Vlaamse elite vond dit schitterend. De rest van de Vlaams bevolking was daar iets minder van overtuigd. De sappige details in verband met opperhoofden en taalgoeroe\'s daargelaten, is het resultaat dat Nederlands door het grootste deel van de Vlamingen wordt ervaren als de taal van de \'Hollanders\' die hen door het Belgische regime is opgedrongen en de weerstand tegen het Nederlands is verdraaid groot. Hoe groot, heb ik onlangs nog op de staatsomroep mogen ondervinden.

Met andere woorden, wat de Belgische grondwet daarover zegt is een ding, wat Vlaanderen daar over denkt is een ander.

De Nederlandse Taalunie is een speeltje van bureaucraten, te vergelijken met de Académie française, en met ongeveer evenveel gewicht: helemaal geen. Verder zijn ze niet relevant, behalve dan dat ze er aardig in slagen de haat van Vlaanderen tegen het Nederlands nog aan te scherpen. Wat trouwens voor de hand ligt. Als je er van uit gaat dat het meest gebruikte woord, de meest gebruikte variant, de meest gebruikte constructie, de juiste is, dan zijn de Vlamingen per definitie altijd de verliezers. De Taalunie gaat er van uit dat er geen Vlaams bestaat, en deze algemene statistische aanpak bevestigt dat, daar zorgt het overwicht aan Nederlanders wel voor. Maar de Taalunie werkt niet alleen statistisch, zogenaamd om de Vlamingen tegemoet te komen. Het taaltje dat zij als standaard naar voorschuift, wordt daardoor ook in Nederland niet ernstig genomen. Omdat het in België in het onderwijs wordt opgedrongen en het in Nederland niet meer dan een curiosum is om die vreemde buur plezier te doen, kunnen Vlamingen gewoonlijk veel beter overweg met Taalunie-Nederlands. Dat betekent echter helemaal niet dat ze het aanvaarden, voor hen blijft het Hollands.

De taal van de staatsomroep VRT wordt in Vlaanderen veel meer gezien als een standaard. En die VRT maakt in zijn eigen taalcharter geen melding van ABN, AN, Nederlands of Standaard Nederlands, maar wel van Belgisch Nederlands. Het is een Nederlands waar geen plaats is voor \"Waarebdegijdagevonnn?\" maar wel voor vergeetputten.

Zoals Ruud Hendrickx het stelt: \"Daarom ook hebben we het bij voorkeur over de Belgische variant van de Nederlandse standaardtaal, een variant van het Nederlands die naast de Nederlandse variant staat, en niet over het in taalkundige zin te beperkte Vlaams of over het te zwaar beladen Zuid-Nederlands, dat te vaak met taalfouten wordt geassocieerd. \'Als norm geldt de taal die door taalgevoelige Vlamingen wordt gehanteerd wanneer zij hun taal bewust verzorgen. Die norm sluit grotendeels aan bij de algemene Nederlandse standaardtaal, maar laat ruimte voor Belgisch Nederlandse inbreng op het gebied van uitspraak, woordkeus, zegswijzen en beeldspraak.\'\"

Wat het Waalse Frans aangaat, is de situatie wel enigszins vergelijkbaar maar er is een andere evolutie geweest. Op school heb ik ondervonden dat Frans de eerste vreemde taal is die de Walen leren (Le français est notre première langue étrangère). Er is dus een fundamenteel andere instelling. Waals is geen verwerpelijk vulgair dialect van onderontwikkelde boertjes, het is de taal die Walen onder elkaar gebruiken terwijl Frans de taal is die ze gebruiken voor communicatie met de overheid en voor officiële aangelegenheden, enigsins te vergelijken met de situatie Tamil/Engels. De staatsomroep houdt daar rekening mee en ook nu zijn er nog altijd programma\'s in het Waals. Als je daar als buitenlander (Vlaming, dus) die ze al een tijdje kennen, een gesprek voert met twee Walen, kun je vaak ondervinden dat die twee Waals met elkaar spreken maar Frans met jou. In Frans-Vlaanderen maak je trouwens precies hetzelfde mee. Vlaams is daar de taal voor \'wanneer we onder ons zijn\', Frans is de taal van de onderdrukker, de overheid, en de taal die je maar beter gebruikt met wie je niet kent. Bij de jongste generaties vermindert dat langzamerhand en begint Frans ook een standaardtaal te worden.

Maar Vlaanderen kent dat niet. Vlaanderen heeft geen eigen spreektaal kunnen ontwikkelen. De armoede zit daar voor iets tussen, een bevolking die wordt gedecimeerd door hongersnoden, heeft wel wat anders te doen dan zich met taalkwesties bezig te houden. Dat verklaart niet alles. Hoewel er in Vlaanderen officieel wel wordt gepleit voor een spreektaal wordt elke spontane evolutie daartoe geboycot door de taalridders van het establishment.

Geert Van Istendael heeft de term verkavelingsvlaams bedacht. Hij zegt daar dit over: \"Verkavelingsvlaams is een onvolkomen taaltje, een taaltje dat alleen steunt op de onwil en het onvermogen van velen om echt Nederlands te spreken, een samenraapsel van Belgisch-Nederlandse afwijkingen: gallicismen, dialectismen, archaïsmen, purismen, schrijftaal... In Franse, Duitse en Engelse omgangstaal komen geen schrijftaalwoorden en archaïsmen voor.\". Geert Van Istendael is geen idioot, maar hij zit er compleet naast. Een omgangstaal is het dynamische resultaat van een nimmer stoppende evolutie. Als je alleen het resultaat aanvaardbaar vindt, dan zul je dat resultaat nooit krijgen.

Hoe archaïsch is een archaïsme dat iedereen gebruikt? Wat betekent \"gebrekkig taaltje\" precies? En verkavelingsvlaams? Wat is er verkeerd aan een gallicisme? Is het werkelijk zo abnormaal dat een taal zich door de buitenwereld laat beïnvloeden? Wat is er verkeerd aan een germanisme? Is Vlaams/Nederlands dan toch geen germaanse taal, maar een altaïsche (lol)? En wat is er verkeerd aan klakkeloos vertaald Frans als je klakkeloos vertaald Engels klakkeloos aanvaardt? Denk maar aan het ronduit belachelijke zoekmachine/zoekrobot, klakkeloze vertalingen van ronduit verkeerd Engels. Het gaat hier over zoekprogramma\'s, niet meer, niet minder. Bovendien komt dit voor in alle talen. Denk maar aan het algemeen gebruikte \"Long time no see\", een letterlijke vertaling uit het Chinees.

Laat de Vlamingen nu eindelijk eens hun eigen evolutie hebben en behandel ze niet langer als een klasje onmondige kleuters.

Moet er een apart forum zijn? Dat hangt van het standpunt af. Voor wie de mythe voorstaat dat Vlaams en Nederlands hetzelfde zijn, zal dat alvast overbodig zijn. Voor wie aanvaardt dat het hier gaat over varianten van dezelfde taal zal het net even noodzakelijk zijn als voor Frans/Québecois/Acadien/... of voor VK-Engels/Canadees-Engels/Amerikaans-Engels... Niet dus, wat niet wegneemt dat er wel over verschillen kan en mag worden gesproken. Voor wie Nederlands en Vlaams ziet als twee verschillende talen, ligt de noodzaak voor twee aparte fora voor de hand.

Zijn Vlaams en Nederlands twee aparte talen? Wellicht wel, er zijn meer argumenten voor dan er argumenten tegen zijn. Maar dat geldt alleen voor de spreektaal.

Wat de spreektaal betreft, verschillen Nederlands en Vlaams ongeveer evenveel van elkaar als Nederlands en Duits. Dat geldt voor de ontstaansgeschiedenis, voor de woordenschat, voor de grammatica en voor de uitspraak.

Wat de schrijftaal betreft, zijn de gelijkenissen veel en veel groter dan de verschillen. Vlaanderen gebruikt Nederlands als schrijftaal. Er zijn varianten, maar die varianten zijn niet groot. Die situatie is niet uniek.

Vergelijk maar met Mandarijns en Cantonees. Dat zijn ook twee totaal verschillende talen, maar de schrijftaal is grotendeels dezelfde. Geschreven Mandarijns wordt door een Cantoneessprekende zonder problemen begrepen, zij het dat hij af en toe een woordenboek nodig heeft. Omgekeerd precies hetzelfde.

Je zult in Chinese boeken niet vaak de vermelding aantreffen dat het boek in het Mandarijns of in het Cantonees is geschreven. In Nederlandse boeken vind je dat ook niet. Maar Nederlanders hebben wel meer moeilijkheden om in Vlaanderen geschreven boeken te begrijpen dan Mandarijnen om in Hongkong geschreven boeken te begrijpen. In Nederlandse woordenboeken staan immers nauwelijks typisch Vlaamse woorden. En dat heeft Vlaanderen aan zijn eigen taalridders te danken. Hun hysterische gekrijs dat de verschillen ontkent, is daar rechtstreeks voor verantwoordelijk. Mensen als Paardekooper, Desiere, Bérode en Heidbüchel meenden het goed, maar ze hebben zeker niet gezorgd voor een goede verstandhouding. Het is aan ons om de gebroken potten te lijmen.

Collapse

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Common language Oct 5, 2002

Quote:

Just look at Ex-Yugoslavia. How many languages have they got now? Do they still communicate with each other? I don\'t know

Do you believe, there ever was a Yugoslavian language - not to my knowledge. People in Slovenia and the Kosovo, the Serbs and Croats always had different languages, even different alphabets

Bart B. Van Bockstaele
Canada
Dutch
+ ...
Common Language Oct 6, 2002

Lol, Hans. You are absolutely right. Although, there was a common language of sorts although it is pretty safe to say that it wasn\'t very popular: Russian, even now by far still the most common European language.

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
brothers in alms Oct 6, 2002

Bart, thanks for your epic tale. Correct me if I\'m wrong, but in the end you didn\'t really answer the essence of the question: are the *linguistic* differences (we are here for linguistic reasons not political ones, surely?) between \'Belgisch Nederlands\' and \'ABN\' so great as to make them separate languages?

Take a look in the Flemish > English forum and tell me what you see. Are these typically Beglisch Nederlandse expressions? I think not. They are only in there beca
... See more
Bart, thanks for your epic tale. Correct me if I\'m wrong, but in the end you didn\'t really answer the essence of the question: are the *linguistic* differences (we are here for linguistic reasons not political ones, surely?) between \'Belgisch Nederlands\' and \'ABN\' so great as to make them separate languages?

Take a look in the Flemish > English forum and tell me what you see. Are these typically Beglisch Nederlandse expressions? I think not. They are only in there because \'Belgium\' or the name of a Belgian company was mentioned in the question/answer.

Take t.b.v., for example. It\'s only in Flemish because the question includes an amount in Belgian francs. Likewise, BTW is only in there because the Asker guessed that it stood for \"Belgische something-something?\". And what about \'Naar ik heb begrepen\'??!! Sorry, but this last one is bizarre! Is that really Flemish??? A show of hands please. Who says this is Flemish and who says it\'s ABN?

For what it\'s worth, a quick Google on the matter reveals a hit count of 252 for the phrase \"naar ik heb begrepen\" on .nl websites and only 8 on .be websites. Even taking into account the difference in population between the Netherlands and Flanders (16 million vs. 6 million) - presuming this to be representative of the number of websites in each area - the phrase would appear to be more ABN than Flemish. (If you take 252 as a base line, you could expect 95 hits on .be websites if the phrase was dialect-neutral, i.e. equally common in Flanders as in the Netherlands.)

If you base your language classifications on political concerns, then we urgently need Irish English as a separate language on ProZ.com! Let us rise up, brothers in arms, and fight to free our beautiful, lilting tongue from being swallowed up in a two-pronged attack from North Atlantic drift in the west and the unrelenting advances of Estuary English in the east. You\'re either with us, or you\'re against us...!

PS: anyone know the ISO alpha-3 language code for Flemish?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-06 16:48 ]
Collapse

Bart B. Van Bockstaele
Canada
Dutch
+ ...
Aparte talen? Oct 6, 2002

Ja hoor, ik heb je vraag beantwoord. Maar ik heb dat antwoord niet geformuleerd als een persoonlijke opinie of overtuiging, om de eenvoudige reden dat ik niet van een overtuiging ben vertrokken. Ik heb gewoon een aantal losse punten aangehaald die in mijn hoofd opkwamen en op basis daarvan een conclusie getrokken.

De politiek heeft beslist dat Vlaams en Nederlands hetzelfde zijn. Dat betekent dat er geen verschillen zijn. Zijn die er toch, dan zijn het per definitie fouten d
... See more
Ja hoor, ik heb je vraag beantwoord. Maar ik heb dat antwoord niet geformuleerd als een persoonlijke opinie of overtuiging, om de eenvoudige reden dat ik niet van een overtuiging ben vertrokken. Ik heb gewoon een aantal losse punten aangehaald die in mijn hoofd opkwamen en op basis daarvan een conclusie getrokken.

De politiek heeft beslist dat Vlaams en Nederlands hetzelfde zijn. Dat betekent dat er geen verschillen zijn. Zijn die er toch, dan zijn het per definitie fouten die te wijten zijn aan de onkunde van de spreker/schrijver.

In het kort:

Als Vlamingen onder elkaar spreken of als Nederlanders onder spreken, dan verschillen hun woordenschat, grammatica en uitspraak zo sterk van elkaar, dat ze elkaar niet begrijpen. Vlaams en Nederlands verschillen minstens even sterk van elkaar als Fries en Nederlands.

Er is echter niet zoiets als een Vlaamse schrijftaal, behalve in extreem uitzonderlijke en bijna altijd komisch bedoelde situaties. Vlamingen spreken Vlaams en schrijven Nederlands.

Zijn Nederlands en Vlaams verschillend? Ja en neen, dus.

Ja, voor de gesproken taal.

Nee, voor de geschreven taal.

Dan, je vraag. Waarom Vlaams en geen Nederlands? Onwetendheid, onkunde, luiheid, of iets van die aard. Jouw conclusie is even goed als de mijne.

Je berekening is leuk, maar je conclusie is helaas niet noodzakelijk juist. Vlaanderen loopt namelijk heel erg achter op Nederland op het gebied van computers en Internet. Daarnaast zijn Vlamingen zijn veel minder dan Nederlanders geneigd dingen openbaar te maken. Als iets minder voorkomt in .be dan in .nl, dan kun je daar jammer genoeg geen conclusie uit trekken. Maar in jouw specifieke voorbeeld is het verschil natuurlijk wel heel erg grof.

Stel dat er in Vlaanderen half zoveel computers staan per hoofd van de bevolking.

Stel dat de Vlamingen half zoveel publiceren op Internet per hoofd van de bevolking.

Stel dat er 6 miljoen Vlamingen zijn en 15 miljoen Nederlanders.

Dan krijg je dat:

BE < NL * 1/2 * 1/2 * 6/15

of

BE < NL * 0.1

Als BE kleiner is dan 10% NL, dan kun je betrekkelijk veilig concluderen dat het woord of de zinsnede Nederlandser is dan Vlaams. Als BE groter is dan 10% NL, dan moet je daar ook uit concluderen dat het woord of de zinsnede Vlaamser is dan Nederlands. Dat laatste voelt echter verschrikkelijk onveilig aan. Beter eerst die cijfers heel grondig verifiëren, denk ik.

Maar wat er ook van zij, het lijkt vrij evident dat \'naar ik heb begrepen\' een redelijke kans heeft Nederlandser te zijn dan Vlaams.

ISO-code voor Vlaams? Bij mijn weten bestaat die niet. Gezien Vlaams officieel niet bestaat, is er geen code nodig.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The Flemish Question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »