Thread poster: Vanders
Vanders
Vanders  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 21, 2006

hello, how different is Dutch (written language!) in Suriname from Dutch (written) in the Netherlands and Belgium.
Thank you!

Nat

Marjon van den Bosch
Marjon van den Bosch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nederlands is the official language in Suriname but... Jun 21, 2006

there are many languages spoken, including Sranan which developed since the days of slavery as an African-Surinaams language, along with variations of it (ex: Saramacaans, Aucaans and Kromanti) spoken in non-coastal areas. There are also at least 5 Indian and Chinese-derived dialects, the result of the thousands of contract laborers who brought Hindi, Javanese and Chinese into the language mix.

You may want to check out 2 excellent books: 1) Woordenboek van het Surinaams-Nederlan
... See more
there are many languages spoken, including Sranan which developed since the days of slavery as an African-Surinaams language, along with variations of it (ex: Saramacaans, Aucaans and Kromanti) spoken in non-coastal areas. There are also at least 5 Indian and Chinese-derived dialects, the result of the thousands of contract laborers who brought Hindi, Javanese and Chinese into the language mix.

You may want to check out 2 excellent books: 1) Woordenboek van het Surinaams-Nederlands by J. van Donselaar, ISBN 90-6283-745-X and 2) Atlas of the Languages of Suriname (edited by Eithne Carlin and Jacques Arends, ISBN 90 6718 196 X).

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] - I'd be happy to email/fax you more information. Also, check out www.suriname.NU.

from a colleague with a keen interest in Suriname.

Marjon
Collapse

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
I'd like to know this, too Jun 21, 2006

natvan wrote:
hello, how different is Dutch (written language!) in Suriname from Dutch (written) in the Netherlands and Belgium.
Thank you!
Nat

I saw a job posting this week for Suriname Dutch and I wondered if there was a difference in the written form - is there an official written version of the Surinaams dialect or something?

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lees 'Nederlands met een kleurtje' van Taalschrift Jun 21, 2006

Ga naar http://taalschrift.org/reportage/000466.html. Een informatief artikel met goede links.

Tan bun,
Gerard

Even opnieuw, zonder punt:
http://taalschrift.org/reportage/000466.html

[Edited at 2006-06-22 08:39]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
tolken voor 'anderstalige' Nederlanders Jun 21, 2006

Als tolk in Engeland krijg ik vaak te maken met 'Nederlands met een kleurtje', zoals Gerards artikel dat noemt. (Jammer dat de link naar het artikel niet schijnt te werken, maar daar zoek ik later nog naar). Ik word bijvoorbeeld vaak naar Britse politiebureaus geroepen om te vertalen voor Somaliërs met een Nederlands paspoort die om een Nederlandstalige tolk vragen maar die een Nederlands praten dat soms moeilijk te verstaan is. Bijvoorbeeld, de Somaliërs waar ik mee te maken krijg gebruike... See more
Als tolk in Engeland krijg ik vaak te maken met 'Nederlands met een kleurtje', zoals Gerards artikel dat noemt. (Jammer dat de link naar het artikel niet schijnt te werken, maar daar zoek ik later nog naar). Ik word bijvoorbeeld vaak naar Britse politiebureaus geroepen om te vertalen voor Somaliërs met een Nederlands paspoort die om een Nederlandstalige tolk vragen maar die een Nederlands praten dat soms moeilijk te verstaan is. Bijvoorbeeld, de Somaliërs waar ik mee te maken krijg gebruiken weinig persoonlijke voornaamwoorden en dan moet ik voorzichtig navragen over wie ze het hebben.
We komen er normaal wel uit, maar ik ben me bewust van de complicaties en geïnteresseerd in literatuur die me wat kan bijleren over eventuele verschillen.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Dutch in Suriname

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »