taxes in Holland
Thread poster: iris1963
iris1963
iris1963
Local time: 23:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2005

Is there anybody who can help me understanding how I can pay my taxes in Holland?
I am a journalist and they offered me a free lance job in Holland (temp job- journalistic texts)
at the Chamber of Commerce they told me my profession is equal to a translator, with regards to fiscal matters.

Thanks for your help and your time

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Do you live in Holland? Sep 24, 2005

Hi Iris,

do you live in Holland or Italy? I'm not an expert, but i think this is important regarding where you have to pay taxes.

iris1963
iris1963
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I live in the Netherlands Sep 24, 2005

Thanks for your time- at the moment I live in the Netherlands: up to now I kept on collaborating with Italian newspapers (paying the taxes in Italy, as they wanted). This is the first job here and I want to be sure to pay in the correct way.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Country of residence Sep 26, 2005

In general you pay your (income) tax for your 'world' income in the country you reside. http://www.belastingdienst.nl/buitenland_uk/buitenland_uk-01.html
"Residents of the Netherlands and non-resident taxpayers opting for resident taxpayer status should report their entire worldwide income in their income tax returns."

You reside in the Netherlands if y
... See more
In general you pay your (income) tax for your 'world' income in the country you reside. http://www.belastingdienst.nl/buitenland_uk/buitenland_uk-01.html
"Residents of the Netherlands and non-resident taxpayers opting for resident taxpayer status should report their entire worldwide income in their income tax returns."

You reside in the Netherlands if you registered yourself as living there (although this registration is I think not even mandatory for tax purposes), and if you (plan to) live in the country for more than 6 (?) months - I do not remember the exact number of days. So really, your Italian-based newspapers may have been wrong in that respect. You could go to your nearest 'belastingdienst' (tax authorities office) and get a tax number (this is your 'sofi' number, not a VAT number). At least that is the way it worked about 6 years ago.
You will find more info (in English) on the Belastingdienst site: http://www.belastingdienst.nl/buitenland_uk/
Collapse

iris1963
iris1963
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks sooooo much! Sep 26, 2005

Thank you very much for your post!
Extremely helpuful and clear!

Grazie mille!

DaZKooL
DaZKooL
English
taxes...taxes...taxes Oct 9, 2007

hi,
I live in Italy but i would have to relocate in Amsterdam...
here in Italy I'm a freelance but an enterprise asked me for a permanent contract of 55k euros....what about taxes?what about money...is it ok?

iris1963
iris1963
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Oct 15, 2007

DaZKooL wrote:

hi,
I live in Italy but i would have to relocate in Amsterdam...
here in Italy I'm a freelance but an enterprise asked me for a permanent contract of 55k euros....what about taxes?what about money...is it ok?

Ciao,
I am not sure to have fully understood the offer the company proposed you; in order to give you a realistic answer it would help me having more details: e.g.:

what kind of position they offered you? (permanent, in house, freelance...)
what kind of translation will you be asked to do? (Eng-it? Dutch-eng? which field?)
will you relocate in the Netherlands for ever? One year?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

taxes in Holland

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »