Thread poster: Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
United States
Local time: 20:55
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

Fir sechs richteg integréiren Ze Kenner, soll Een sechs Senge Matbierger opmaachen a Senger Ëmwelt.
Léieren, Wei Wat wouhigehéiert, er Wei d'Administratiounen Country funktionéieren a wou dei richteg
Ulaafstelle skilningarvit. Dozou muss ECH Soenen, Dass d'journée d'meðvitund, sjá Wei fengist við Olai der
organiséiert gefið - er Kader vum Contrat d'Accueil et d'Sameining, frábær áhugavert fir mech stríð.
ECH var Grad, Wann EE frësch að d'Country könnte,
... See more
Fir sechs richteg integréiren Ze Kenner, soll Een sechs Senge Matbierger opmaachen a Senger Ëmwelt.
Léieren, Wei Wat wouhigehéiert, er Wei d'Administratiounen Country funktionéieren a wou dei richteg
Ulaafstelle skilningarvit. Dozou muss ECH Soenen, Dass d'journée d'meðvitund, sjá Wei fengist við Olai der
organiséiert gefið - er Kader vum Contrat d'Accueil et d'Sameining, frábær áhugavert fir mech stríð.
ECH var Grad, Wann EE frësch að d'Country könnte, esou Een Day wichteg, fir dei richteg
Informatiounen a wichteg hvatir Ze kréien. Dei journée Huet meira hvorugu Diren opgemaach ECH si
Frou, ECH Dass sem Schratt gemaach Hunn.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
Letzeburgesch Oct 12, 2010

in other words the Luxemburg dialect. I can't really read it, also because bits of the text are odd and out of place, like the word "skilningarvit", which seems Icelandic or Scandinavian, but I can decipher most of it because it resembles the Aachen and Maastricht dialects. Maybe someone else knows more.

[Edited at 2010-10-12 05:00 GMT]

Ingeborg Aalders
Ingeborg Aalders
Netherlands
Local time: 03:55
French to Dutch
+ ...
Luxembourgish/Lëtzebuergesch Oct 12, 2010

Hi Diana,

It sounds to me like the German dialect spoken in Luxemburg.

I don't understand however the funny ð-signs in the words however, so maybe it's another German dialect after all.

For Luxembourgish, see t
... See more
Hi Diana,

It sounds to me like the German dialect spoken in Luxemburg.

I don't understand however the funny ð-signs in the words however, so maybe it's another German dialect after all.

For Luxembourgish, see the following links:
http://www.luxdico.com/
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/luxembourgish.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourgish_language

I also thought it might be Schwyzerdütsch (the German dialect spoken in Switzerland), but then I found it rather different from the text below.

Good luck on your search!
ingeborg
Collapse

Martijn van Groningen (X)
Martijn van Groningen (X)
Belgium
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
Luxembourgish/Lëtzebuergesch indeed Oct 12, 2010

I agree with Ingeborg that the overall impression is Lëtzebuergesch. The ð-sign however only appears in Icelandic, Faroese and some Scandinavian dialects, so it must be a mix of several languages. Words like 'skilningarvit', 'frábær' and 'hvatir' give me the impression of being Icelandic, but I know to little about Icelandic to be sure.
As far as my understanding of Lëtzebuergesch goes, the text doesn't make any sense at all. Would it be possible that it is a kind of fantasy text or a
... See more
I agree with Ingeborg that the overall impression is Lëtzebuergesch. The ð-sign however only appears in Icelandic, Faroese and some Scandinavian dialects, so it must be a mix of several languages. Words like 'skilningarvit', 'frábær' and 'hvatir' give me the impression of being Icelandic, but I know to little about Icelandic to be sure.
As far as my understanding of Lëtzebuergesch goes, the text doesn't make any sense at all. Would it be possible that it is a kind of fantasy text or a placeholder text like 'lorem ipsum'?

Kind regards,

Martijn van Groningen
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some Icelandic words Oct 12, 2010

It seems it has to do with imports, customs or so. If I have the words with that curled d, ae glued together and hv translated by Google Translate it says
Sameining = integration
meðvitund = consciousness
við = with
gefið = given
frábær = great
stríð = war
að = to
hvati = stimulus
hvorugu = neither

And the "sentence"
Sameining meðvitund við gefið frábær stríð að hvati hvorugu
"means"
Integration
... See more
It seems it has to do with imports, customs or so. If I have the words with that curled d, ae glued together and hv translated by Google Translate it says
Sameining = integration
meðvitund = consciousness
við = with
gefið = given
frábær = great
stríð = war
að = to
hvati = stimulus
hvorugu = neither

And the "sentence"
Sameining meðvitund við gefið frábær stríð að hvati hvorugu
"means"
Integration of consciousness to give a great impetus to war either

Unfortunately Google Translate doesn't translate Luxemburgisch and these Luxemburgisch words appear very randomly, it are no bank names or so ... strange.

Icelandic was in the midst of the European night suggested already, I see now. Oddly enought it wasn't there when I wrote my answer. They were put on ice probabely.

[Bijgewerkt op 2010-10-12 12:35 GMT]
Collapse

Susanne Bittner
Susanne Bittner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Google Translate Oct 12, 2010

Maybe it COMES from Google translate? Because something seems to have gone wrong.

Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
United States
Local time: 20:55
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2010

Thank you all for being so kind and searching for this strange text. I am very grateful to you all. Best regards,
Diana

Dominique Broady
Dominique Broady  Identity Verified
Netherlands
French to English
+ ...
Luxembourgish Oct 12, 2010

Yes this is definitely Luxembourgish, but with some words in a Nordic language which are added in a way that does not make sense. Words containing the letter ð, for example, are not in Luxembourgish.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What language is this paragraph?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »