Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:19
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2009

Hi everybody,

sorry for writing in English, but my Dutch is not good enough yet.

I am Italian, I live in the Flemish part of Belgium, and I have a three year old son who goes to school here.

I just found out on the nieusbrief from the school that they are supposed to have "Toeka-week" this week, with all kind of special activities ("knutselen, dansen, tekenen..."), but I have no idea what "Toeka" could mean. Maybe it's just some word they made out, but the
... See more
Hi everybody,

sorry for writing in English, but my Dutch is not good enough yet.

I am Italian, I live in the Flemish part of Belgium, and I have a three year old son who goes to school here.

I just found out on the nieusbrief from the school that they are supposed to have "Toeka-week" this week, with all kind of special activities ("knutselen, dansen, tekenen..."), but I have no idea what "Toeka" could mean. Maybe it's just some word they made out, but the school website is down, so I couldn't get any information there.

Any suggestion? I would really like to explain to my son what he is supposed to be doing when he comes home today!

Thank you in advance,
Cristina
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Special program Oct 5, 2009

I've found this website, which should help you: http://leefsleutels.be/cms/basisonderwijs/toeka/

Seems to be some kind of special program to help the social/emotional development of children.

Ann VDP
Ann VDP
French to Dutch
+ ...
Bird Oct 5, 2009

Toeka is a kind of (human) bird, and it is indeed the central figure in an emotional development programme in school.
They also do this at my chlidren's school, they seem to love it so far...

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
In my opinion Oct 5, 2009

Hi Cristina,

The Macedonian word ТУКА [fon: tuka] means "here".

In my opnion the word "toeka/tuka" to childen in Belgium or other Western ountries is much more known from Pippi Longstocking "Taka Tuka Land", such as here:
http://www.thecoolhunter.net/article/detail/1287

Here you can watch and enjoy Pippi's "flight" to that imaginary land..
... See more
Hi Cristina,

The Macedonian word ТУКА [fon: tuka] means "here".

In my opnion the word "toeka/tuka" to childen in Belgium or other Western ountries is much more known from Pippi Longstocking "Taka Tuka Land", such as here:
http://www.thecoolhunter.net/article/detail/1287

Here you can watch and enjoy Pippi's "flight" to that imaginary land..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmHiYHEqqMI

Best regards,
Sherefedin

[Edited at 2009-10-05 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Annabel Rautenbach
Annabel Rautenbach  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Earlier times / earlier years? Oct 5, 2009

Hi there

In Afrikaans, Toeka means earlier days, from a long time ago, yester-year. May this is what they meant!

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 5, 2009

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions!
With all the information you gave me I will be able to explain to my little boy what's going on at school.

Ciao,
Cristina

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What does "Toeka" mean?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »