I do'nt want InDesign imports, or try to import, the ancillary files on start. What should I do?
Thread poster: Hector Aires
Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2016

Hi everybody!!
I have a huge Innd file with 415 unavailable ancillary files (images) and I DO NOT want that Innd import, or try to import, those files when I open the document. Does anyone know how to do that?
I unmarked the box "Test links before opening the document" (Edition > Preferences > Managing files) but didn't work.
Any suggestion will be welcome!!
Please, InDesign C5.5 for Windows
Thanks in advance
Héctor

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
This is for Page Maker Dec 2, 2016

In Page Maker - InDesign's late "father" - this is the way to go:

Before opening the file, go to File | Preferences | General.

There, on Graphics Display, you can choose between:
- Gray out
- Standard
- High resolution

The first option will let you work with text only when you open the file.

Worth checking whether Adobe kept its old habits.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
InDesign CS5 links Dec 2, 2016

Héctor,

I wonder why you wouldn't want to open the links (what you call “ancillary files”) when opening the INDD file. What's the point of working directly with InDesign if you don't want to see the links? I wonder how you handle the fonts as well.

I'm curious. I have been working with InDesign for years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I do'nt want InDesign imports, or try to import, the ancillary files on start. What should I do?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »